The Crazy Suburban Mom: Perspective

Hobonichi Cousin Planner in my Filofax

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Perspective

I look at my Filofax frequently.  Not just today but yesterday.   And not just yesterday but months back ,  even years back.   Most of my important dates are on weekly and yearly pages but I still keep the daily sheets.

This morning I was looking over them, deciding really what to do with them, when something struck me; I carry over a lot of things to do.   Not just big multi-step projects but little things that will take me a minute and a half to accomplish. The things I dread doing, the ones I procrastinate over litter most pages.

I wondered how long I've been working on that diet I'm always on, how long it's taken for me to clean my house... How long I've promised myself I'd live my life in a way that makes me feel proud... And I stumbled upon this....

And PS ... You can fill it in yourself to see how many days you've been around.

Just how many days I've been working on my weight is staggering and looking at that number in minutes is sobering.  How many more days do I need to get to things that are really, really important?  The only thing worse then dieting for decades is dieting for decades plus one more day.   I plan extensively on my daily pages.  It's time to work the plan.  Planning is great but it's not doing.

As Lee Iaccoca said,  "The discipline of writing something down is the first step toward making it happen."

But it is after all is said and done, only the first step....

Amanda Carter 6/16/13, 8:42 AM

I'm with you on this one, there are some things that I can't face doing. I don't even write them in my Filofax because I know I won't be doing them until I have had a serious talk with myself and shamed myself into biting the bullet! One thing I was dreading I avoided for 3 months and when I eventually did do it it was a piece of cake and I'd wasted all that time 0.o

Tracy Reinhardt 6/16/13, 8:51 AM

Exactly. That happens a lot to me and it's such a waste. It's a time suck, all that thinking about things I feel will be painful. I hem and haw and aggravate ... I spend more time dreading things then it would take to suck it up and just do it.

Alondra Karwowski 6/18/13, 3:13 PM

Great post Tracy. I've been trying, well.. thinking about changing my last name on my bank account. I got married over a year ago and it's still in my to-do section in my FF. It's sad really..

Cheryl 6/18/13, 11:44 PM

Ok, true confessions time. I can put into prospective the money I've 'wasted' or not 'earned' due to my procrastination in looking for a j-o-b. It's taken a big hit on our financial situation. I could be shopping for my outfit for my nieces wedding in Cabo next March if only I had lost the weight in order to do so. (and running out of time before the summer clothes disappear!). I could have had a semester of college finished if only I had made that appointment with my program mentor (and I get free tuition!). So why are these things getting planned but not getting done? Good question. And we're not talking about not taking out the garbage or cleaning out the fridge. These are major, life and financial impacting things not getting done. Paralysis has set in and fear has taken over. Avoidance has become my middle name. Even my trusty Filofax isn't getting me out of this one. Yikes!

Elaine 12/8/13, 9:01 AM

I know this is an old post, but it really spoke to me.

I keep a 10+ year journal where I can easily look back to see what I was doing on this date a year ago, two years ago, etc.

Over and over again, I say I have to lose weight; I have to get organized.

Thinking about it is just not getting the job done.

Tracy Reinhardt 12/8/13, 9:13 AM

Elaine, I appreciate you taking the time to comment to such an old post. I'm right there with you with the weight loss, the organization... It's a constant frustration for me as well