The Crazy Suburban Mom: Going backwards to move foward

Hobonichi Cousin Planner

Monday, March 11, 2013

Going backwards to move foward

Planners and diets have a lot in common;  both hold huge appeal because they promise what you want.  In the case of diets,  a simplified way to a better body and an ordered life in the case of planners.   All diets work if you work them and the same can be said for planners.  So I have to ask myself, "Why am I not thin and organized? "

Untitled

Why isn't everyone?

Oddly, I think they both fail for the same reason...  A lack of consistency.   I get restless.  I change things up.  I come up with of a million ways to improve what doesn't need improving and the next thing I know my weight is moving in the wrong direction  and my planner isn't as much a life tool  as a repository for washi tape.

Untitled

It would be major if this insight ultimately helped me sort out my  disordered weight and life, but knowing why things happen doesn't necessarily lead to success.    One small change  leads to the next... And the next.    A few weeks and tweaks down the road, I'm looking at an entirely new set of inserts and dessert after every meal feels reasonable.

Untitled

I don't know how to alter my automatic  inclination towards change,  it's natural to me.   I don't do well with hard and fast rules, they make me itch.  Boredom seems to creep in even when things are going well.  But I'm exploring ways to keep things at a successful status quo.

Untitled

Ways to remind myself what I'm doing, why I'm doing it, hopefully find  ways to keep on keeping on and stop chipping away at the successes.  I'm sure consistency is the key but for someone who gets bored easily that's a toughie.

Untitled

Perhaps successful planning and dieting are always  works in progress (and I can deal with that) but the yo-yo good days/bad days thing is a lot like riding a stationary bicycle.  Spinning your wheels is great exercise but not successful if what you really need is to get from Point A to Point B.

Untitled

In the past when I was at Max Frustration I'd revamp everything.  I'd seek out a whole new diet, look for a new Filofax (or twelve because if one is good, twelve is better.... ) and buy more office supplies then I could use in a lifetime.   In retrospect, this heralded the beginning of the end.

filofax

Perhaps innovation isn't (always) looking to the future, maybe there's something to be said for examining the last time I was successful -  And work backwards.  Theoretically what worked yesterday should work today, and tomorrow.  And next year...

Bejeweled #filofax to do list

I can't promise I will stop tweaking entirely, change is invigorating.  But successful things are successful for a reason.

ae30cba9-b4aa-444b-8f11-0f4333b33c6c

So just for today... I'm going to  move forward by looking backwards.

Elizabeth Gonz├ílez 3/11/13, 10:27 AM

Tracy this was very but very inspiring. For every line I was reading I was saying in my head "she's right, she's right" because you are... I have the same problem (with other of course) when it comes to be organize and thin...

It's not easy but we can do it... Just we need to step away and look at the big picture, including the past to realize what we've been doing and what actually works for us...

Keep it up, I know you can find a way and go thru with this :)

Tracy Reinhardt 3/11/13, 10:33 AM

Thank you, Elizabeth! I hope you're right and that I can find a way through this. I was feeling a bit frustrated lately, particularly with the dieting but with organizing as well. Both feel unnatural to me, I'm having a difficult time with both.

Homemakersdaily.com 3/11/13, 10:45 AM

I can so relate, Tracy. When I finally come up with something that works, I immediately want to change it! Julie Morgenstern talks about that in her book, Time Management from the Inside Out. I think she calls that the "conquistador of chaos". She says if you can learn to STOP doing that, you can actually begin to spend time on things that are more productive. So far I still struggle, though.

Thanks for sharing.

Tracy Reinhardt 3/11/13, 10:48 AM

Homemakersdaily, I'm so grateful you and elizabeth posted! Sometimes I feel like it's just me... And while I'm sorry you know what I mean :) there is comfort in knowing other people struggle with the same things I do.

Alison 3/11/13, 12:03 PM

I'm exactly the same, those are the two biggest issues that I deal with on a daily basis, I know how to organise and I know how to lose weight but putting it into practice and sticking with it is an entirely different thing, if doesn't matter how many diet books I own or how many sticky notes I buy, I don't seem to get anywhere!!

Majokie 3/11/13, 10:56 PM

Amen, sister!

Christine Cortese 3/11/13, 11:03 PM

This is brilliant, Tracy. It is just what I needed to hear. OMG, the synchronicity just slays me because I just started going backwards today, too - going back to planner systems I used for years and years in the past, remembering how I ate and moved in the past. Thank you for this post!

Cat Cook 3/12/13, 7:35 PM

I love this post, it's so true and I struggle with both just as you do. Even when I've found something that works I get itchy and I have to make a change. I look forward to reading how you get on, good luck!

Cassandra 3/12/13, 10:59 PM

Try reading "The Renaissance Soul: Life Design for People with Too Many Passions to Pick Just One" and see if you find yourself there. This book gave me "permission" to be me and stop fighting it. I like everything for 3 months and then it's not fun and I am ready to move on.

Cassandra 3/12/13, 10:59 PM

Lori Perkins 3/13/13, 2:01 AM

Tracy I love you article!

Sharon Korkes 3/20/13, 6:56 PM

Awesome post that is too true!