The Crazy Suburban Mom: Holiday Melting... Now with more Rolos!

Hobonichi Cousin Planner in my Filofax

Monday, December 24, 2012

Holiday Melting... Now with more Rolos!

I've posted this recipe every year since I started blogging because it's so easy and everyone loves them!  It's not my original recipe but I've made at least five different versions (because my son won't eat nuts...)  It's the kind of thing that's more method then recipe (which I love!)

Since I've made them so often I didn't check the recipe first:

small pretzels

a regular sized Rolo per pretzel

Enough Mini Rolos (new this year!), Hersey's Kisses,  or nuts to top each.

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).

2. Arrange the pretzels in a single layer on a foil or parchment lined cookie sheet.

3.  Place one Rolo on each pretzel. and bake for 3 minutes.

4.  Remove from oven.  The Rolos should look the same but be soft enough to press something into it.

5.  Right away, while the candy is warm, press your chosen topper onto each candy covered pretzel.

6.  Cool completely before storing in an airtight container   (I usually put them outside for half an hour...)

Normally this is what they look like.

033

They are the perfect mix of crispy, salty, chocolaty, sweet, and chewy.

This year I heated the oven to 315 degrees and left them in for 4 minutes. I don't  know what I was thinking.  They still rock the taste buds...

Visually they are a hot mess and a half.

Some more then others....

When I took them from the oven, they had oozed together and all over...  Fortunately, once you bite into them they taste like bliss and looks aren't important anymore...

The hardest thing about doing them is unwrapping the Rolo candies which is still MUCH easier then homemade cookies so give them a try because holiday melting is much easier then holiday baking.

Amy 12/24/12, 7:57 AM

We made these last year after you posted the recipe. Absolutely delicious and everyone went nuts for them!

Tracy Reinhardt 12/24/12, 8:43 AM

Amy! So glad to hear it, if I don't make them now everyone pouts!

They aren't pretty this year but everyone still loves them!

Lynn 12/29/12, 11:02 PM

I just made these and topped with almond kisses.

Mine turned out a bit of a hot mess even though I melted them at 300 for 3 minutes. I had to get them off the hot cookie sheet because they were going beyond soft to melted.

Unfortunately, the cookie sheet had a side to it, so as I tried to slide the candy covered parchment off, they slid together.

Since they were a melty mess, I put them in the fridge. After they firmed up a bit, I used a butter knife to break them apart.

Is it bad to leave them in the fridge?
I am taking them to a get together tomorrow. So if they are allowed to warm to room temp, will they be okay?

Tracy Reinhardt 12/30/12, 1:13 AM

Lynn, a few thoughts...I usually top them quickly with whatever I'm using and then put them outside for 20 to 30 minutes.

They don't remelt at room temp, so you should be fine at room temp. I leave mine on the counter for a few days and they remain solid.

If you try them again maybe try at a little lower temp. because oven temps vary - mine tends to run lower but yours might run higher. I've seen this recipe in a few places and the oven temp varies a little bit from recipe to recipe - it might be because of the differences in ovens.

And one more thing -- I tried them with hersheys kisses once in place of the rolos and they melted really fast... I can't tell if you just put the kisses on the rolos or used just kisses but when I used kisses in place of rolos I got basically splatter on pretzels. I have also topped the rolos with the kisses and that was fine as long as I did it all quickly and then put them right outside to cool.

Lynn 12/30/12, 1:08 PM

I topped the rolos with kisses. Unfortunately, I didn't have all the kisses unwrapped by the time the rolos/pretzels were ready.

Putting them outside to cool wasn't an option last night with the blowing snow, lol. Also, needed to keep them away from the curious cats and greyhound.

I think I need to lower the over temp or reduce the baking time just a bit, as well as work faster. Now that I've done it once, I know what to expect. Btw, damn they're good!

Tracy Reinhardt 12/30/12, 3:05 PM

Unwrapping is the biggest pain but yes, they are SOOOOO good!

Putting them out isn't always an option, but it's the easiest. I've put them in the freezer a few minutes too but that's space dependent. All the recipes I've read say they just cool indoors but I've never had that happen, I've always had to put them someplace cold.

Good luck with the next batch! I think you're right about there being a perfect temp/time ratio. Maybe next time I'll just put a few on a cookie sheet as a test before doing like, 50 of them!

The good thing about them is they taste great no matter how they look!