The Crazy Suburban Mom: Going to give my personal size a go.... Again

Hobonichi Cousin Planner

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Going to give my personal size a go.... Again

Every few months I drag out my Portland Personal just to fondle the softest leather Filofax ever made...  Swoon over how well  a truly great product ages ... And marvel at her twenty plus years old perfect rings.

Every few months I try and use my Portland #filofax  can't help it its beautiful

I usually put some paper in and write something followed quickly by my deciding it's like writing on a matchbook, followed by heavy sighing, followed by putting it away again.
Coffee and a to-do list for breakfast
The picture above is from 2011; my Filofax next to a big cup of coffee...

Untitled

This one was taken first thing this morning (also next to a big cup of coffee).

Yesterday I thought (perhaps) I wasn't giving myself enough of a chance.  Maybe I needed some more time adjusting to a different size.  Maybe the problem isn't  the size as much as sizing down and I needed to give it more of an effort.

I've never been able to make a go of the personal size but I'm going to give it a full week this time.  I put Mr. Malden away and I'm going to leave him there for a full seven days and let the chip fall where they may.

I decided to do a complete set up and since I didn't have any dated pages I went to Barnes and Noble to find inserts and dividers. This time of year they sell a filled plastic planner, each with it's own cute theme for $9.99.  (If it doesn't work I haven't spent too much and I can forgive myself the personal sized transgression.)

Untitled

The personal size is sure easy to work with when you're buying something.  So many brands make things with the right hole placement.  I don't miss repunching a hundred pages...  And the divider designs are aces.

A #filofax is a wholly unique thing

I added all the card, pouch, and zipper inserts I never have anything to do with.

Untitled

Put my son front and center...

Untitled

I miss having all this stuff in my Filofax, so this is a win.

Make up / nail polish wish list section tab ...For my #filofax maybe?

Added my Martha tabs...

Untitled

Punched holes in a few sticker sheets...

Untitled

My 'Hold That Thought' translucent arrows...

Untitled

The planner came with a week on two pages

Untitled

Plus a month on one page to mark appointments.  I like the way this insert is layed out a lot.

Untitled

There was some note paper and PS, the paper is surprisingly fantastic.

Went ahead and set up my Portland personal #filofax & will try and use it for a week

The ruler is flat out slammin'

So the plan is to use only this Filofax for an entire week and see...  Maybe I won't be able to make it work but it won't be for lack of trying (this time).

HM 11/29/12, 3:03 PM

I see a euro bill! Love this inserts, and I'm also starting to use personal this week :)

Steve Morton 11/29/12, 3:05 PM

Nearly missed this post because all the Flickr photos in your RSS feed overloaded my RSS feed reader which was limited to 6 posts per site...

Steve

Tracy Reinhardt 11/29/12, 4:45 PM

HM - the euro was the one my family got me when they visited Paris!

Steve - Hmmm.. wonder if that's happened before? Don't want to cut down the pics though because I really love the way they look. Thanks for the heads up for the future.

Anita 11/29/12, 6:01 PM

It looks great & your ruler reminds me a bit of a henna tattoo I had done :) I know what you mean as I love personal, but still keep being drawn to A5 from time to time.

Puddytat purr 11/29/12, 6:20 PM

The Flickr photos are why I've stopped following your blog - I like seeing your posts, but if I subscribe to your blog I then get every pic you upload to Flickr come through too :(

Tracy Reinhardt 11/29/12, 6:46 PM

Puddytat - My Flickr posts randomly to twitter also - I can't find a setting. But I just disconnected my blog from twitter - would you let me know if this helps? Every photo shouldnt be posting - the post photos, yes... but not them all

Could you let me know if you stop getting them all??

Anita - I always go back to a5 too... The portland is just so nice

Puddytat purr 11/29/12, 6:54 PM

Okay, I'll subscribe again and let you know in a few days :)

Josh 11/30/12, 6:06 PM

Tracy! Interested to see how this works out for you. I love love love the personal size and find anything larger too big and anything smaller too tiny. I was happy to slip into the Winchester which is slightly more compact in all dimensions than the modern filofax binders but retains all the functionality.

I'm seeing all the pictures popping into my reader too. I'm not sure how you would switch this off.

Homemakersdaily.com 12/1/12, 10:29 AM

I really want to use an A5 but I can't handle the size. I have the typical issue: the personal is too small, the A5 is too big. I haven't figured out how to solve that one!

MySummerTouch 12/1/12, 7:07 PM

I found great very portable miniature wallet-notebooks system - great alternative to filofax and midori!

Cheryl 12/1/12, 7:30 PM

I am stressing over size as well. I typically use the personal but I have 3 A5's and I am drawn to them. Then there's the cute little pocket and I have 3 of those, though I'd never use the pocket size as an everyday planner (too small). Then there's my compact. I've set aside the A5's for special purposes (tbd). The personal for 'everything'. The pocket for shopping cards and shopping lists but not necessarily my wallet. Which means I now have a wallet, a pocket size and a personal lugging around my handbag. Except the personal was too full so I put some stuff in the compact to carry around. Does this mean I am now using 4 filofaxes? My dog is staring at me and rolling its eyes. LOL

Cheryl 12/1/12, 7:32 PM

Oh I love those $9.99 planners at B&N too. I almost bought one, decided I didn't need it, but like you said, even the inserts are worth the 9.99 to try them out even if you throw the plastic binder away! Good idea.

Tracy Reinhardt 12/7/12, 10:46 AM

Cheryl, yes, I think the inserts are worth the price! I don't need the binder but I guess it would make good paper storage?

The wallet issue is complicated - like you said you still have a regular wallet. Truth is, I did to. A change purse for coins and card overflow...

Tracy Reinhardt 12/7/12, 10:47 AM

Homemakersdaily - Its so true. I did carry around my a5 when I needed to and its like lugging a brick because my purse has SO much other stuff!

Paul B 12/8/12, 1:36 AM

I have a Personal Portland Grand, with oversize rings, and its true - one of the softest leathers filofax ever made. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/burjmax/sets/72157630790759334/). Mine is from 1987 and didn't have an easy life, as I was in the military at the time, but it hasn't got a nick in it. Despite being soft, it was extremely strong. One of the best binders they have ever made.

Tracy Reinhardt 12/10/12, 2:02 AM

Paul, the flickr pics are amazing. Looking at your pictures I don't have a grand. I don't think I've ever seen one before - didn't realize the imprint varied. That's interesting that you got it in '87. I wrote and asked filofax when it was made and I think they said, 90 or 91. I could have sworn I got mine in the 80's... If I had to pin down when I'd guess 85 or 86. But certainly could be a little later. So glad you wrote with the info, it was a big help

Paul B 12/10/12, 2:11 AM

Hi Tracey, the dates are surprising, as I was sure I had this several years before the 91 Gulf War but maybe not. So it must have been late 90. It's younger than I thought :)

I called them in their London office and asked for the biggest Personal available and at that time, the Portland Grand was it. Sadly I think they only ever made it in black. I say sadly because for the last several years, I've wished it had been a different colour, I find black quite boring and plain! They don't come up on eBay very often as they didn't make many, so they are usually on the high side of pricing. The leather is just beautiful and everyday, it reminds me of just how good Filofax binders used to be. It's such a pity the quality is so poor these days. they have the info, the feedback, the details from users, everything. But they don't seem
Inclined to actually DO something to rectify it.

Tracy Reinhardt 12/10/12, 2:20 AM

Paul, I think it came out earlier then filofax stated because I think they go back through catalogs as a reference point. Catalogs don't come out seasonally - yearly I think. And the models would have had to have been out prior to showing up in a catalog - it's the only think that makes sense. Since we both seem to remember having these in the later 80's I think filofax might be off by some

I assumed they would have had a release date but it doesn't appear that way, more a search of advertising which is helpful but probably not accurate!

I kind of do wish I had a grande - If one thing will keep it from being perfect (if I want to stay in a personal) it will be ring size but so far so good

Paul B 12/10/12, 2:21 AM

Inclined to actually DO something to rectify it.

Tanisha Lynne 12/12/12, 3:07 PM

I really love the set up. You have your planner really organized. I thought bout getting a FF but haven't seen them in stores. Nice blog by the way. :)