The Crazy Suburban Mom: Home made filofax inserts

Friday, August 17, 2012

Home made filofax inserts

I decided to try making some A5  inserts, since I use graph paper for almost everything I started there.

Most of my writing is done on To-Do sheets so I made some to-do formats and added a old-fashioned typewriter graphic that I made from a photograph.

The paper is just regular, awful printer paper.

Which definitely blows chunks...

But I do like the pages.

For the life of me, I can't get them to print two to a page and on both sides.  Been trying for days and I'm beyond frustrated, depressed about my lack of ability and oh! So very done.

I'm considering taking the images to a printer so I don't have to go on Zoloft over my lack of printing skills.  If you click the images you will get the full size (or I can email you the .jpg file) and if you can make them print right, I'd love to know how...

And I'd be oh! So grateful to know how...

Rori 8/17/12, 8:49 AM

Urgh! This is why I don't even try to print my own. However, yours are FABULOUS!! I LOVE that they're graph paper (or printed grid) This is a genius insert!! You should market it--I'd buy them :D

Tracy Reinhardt 8/17/12, 8:52 AM

Rori, thank you so much!! I've got to figure out how to print them - been trying for two days and just decided to post anyway.

Ray Blake 8/17/12, 8:58 AM

What size paper are you trying to print on? What printer are you using? Does it duplex automatically?

Tracy Reinhardt 8/17/12, 9:00 AM

Ray the printer is an hp 8500 a, the paper is standard (i guess a4) and it can print on both sides.

I even tried to make a double image and print and still failed

Ray Blake 8/17/12, 9:07 AM

Send the file to me. ray DOT blake AT gmail DOT com

Ray Blake 8/17/12, 9:08 AM

THis might help, though:

Tracy Reinhardt 8/17/12, 9:09 AM

Ray I was wrong - its not a4 its standard sized letter

Ray Blake 8/17/12, 9:12 AM

You're not going to get 2 A5 pages out of it then.

Josh 8/17/12, 9:32 PM

I think you can get two A5 sheets out of a sheet of Legal size paper, though. You'll waste some but not as much as cutting one A5 out of each sheet of Letter size.

You could make 8.5x5.5 inserts easily, though. But printing might be tricky anyway.

I would definitely check with a local print shop to see what they can do. I might do that at the end of the year to make 2013 inserts, I'm hoping they can cut to personal size and, hopefully, drill the holes too.

LJ 8/18/12, 8:43 AM

Your inserts are lovely. And the typewriter graphic looks great :o)

Jenna 8/19/12, 4:22 AM

These are FANTASTIC!!!!

Tracy Reinhardt 8/19/12, 5:58 AM

Josh, I found some a4 clairefontaine printer paper! Ordered it! Can't wait to try it out

LJ - Thank you!

Jenna, Thank you! I've made a few more but I'm still working on printing them!

Angel Jem 8/25/12, 4:20 AM

These pages are neat! I love the graph paper and the image behind. Wonder if it would be doable on philofaxy diaries? They're well planned but lack... oomph. (sorry Ray!)