The Crazy Suburban Mom: I'm scaping the bottom of the barrel

Hobonichi Cousin Planner in my Filofax

Friday, September 30, 2011

I'm scaping the bottom of the barrel

I don't get table-scaping - Or any scaping for that matter.   I have five Pottery Barn and two Ballard Design catalogs that I pour through almost daily hoping that interior design genius will come to me by osmosis.

So far it's not happening; knowing what to put where - with a decorative flair -  must be a gift.

I'm contantly redoing this shelving thing I have by the door.  Today's version is not -- Awful.

It's not overly interesting; but it's not awful either.

It's where I keep my cookbooks.

And some random vintage doodads.

The clock was a recent find at an estate sale.  It works if you plug it in but I'm too paranoid about electricity to use old plugs.  So it falls under the category of non-working even though it does.

These salt and pepper shakers are recent too.  I was going to sell these but I kinda love 'em.

These are not recent but sigh...  I love them and every time I see them they make me squeal a little.   I found the Blue Heaven bowl... but the Pink Pyrex I owe all to Miss V who sent them to me.   I don't know what I did to deserve such good Karma but I smile every day when I see them.

And the aqua beauty on top is from Miss V, too.  She's too good to me.

I wish I was good at the whole scaping thing - I am so jealous of people who throw a few sticks and twigs on a table and VoilĂ ! - A forest scene straight out of a movie!

How do people do that?

SusieQT 9/30/11, 2:20 PM

Here's a tip I learned in design school- group in odd numbers. Instead of 2 things/piles on each shelf, try 3.

The Crazy Suburban Mom 9/30/11, 2:23 PM

Odds, not evens! Thank you!

Vonlipi 9/30/11, 9:41 PM

What you need is lids for the Pyrex. You need the 503 and the 502 lids so you would be able to arrange the fridgies better. But heck I'm no decorator, I like your shelf ;)

Ashly Star 10/1/11, 5:22 AM

Your shelf looks pretty good. I like the combination of cookbooks and kitchen stuff because it's grouping like items to create a theme.

I hope you don't think I'm being rude or acting like a know it all but I'd like to offer up some tips for you. :) Hope you don't mind and aren't offended. :)

Like Susie said, odd numbers! :) Asymmetrical arrangements of three, five or seven objects works better. Instead of symmetry, it creates balance. And if you do place two objects alone on a shelf, instead of making them symmetrical, set them off at slight diagonal angles.

Another thing is varying the height of what you have placed on your shelves. A big no-no is making everything line up to the same height because it ends up giving off the appearance of being flat and boring where as contrasting heights in objects keeps the eyes moving and tends to be more visually appealing.

Don't be afraid to mix big pieces in. They stand out more and take up more space. Where as a lot of little things tends to look more like a jumbled cluttered mess as if you just lumped a bunch of small things together where ever you have space for them. Stacking objects on stacks of books or boxes is great (like with the cute salt and pepper shakers) because it adds depth while making the smaller object stand out more.

That's enough from me, lol. Sorry, I get so carried away when it comes to design stuff. Hope some of that helps. :) Take care!

Babes Mami 10/1/11, 1:32 PM

I have read about the grouping in odd numbers too! I love all of your stuff!

The Crazy Suburban Mom 10/2/11, 10:26 AM

Thank you everyone for the design help and I am not offended! No worries! Like I said I'm not good at scaping so any help is appreciated. In some cases I'm using what I have so if I'm using two and not three it's because I have two and adding a third of something that wouldnt go didn't seem to be a good idea - but you got me thinking maybe I should be grouping other things that I do have a better collection of - I'm glad I posted this.

Lin 10/2/11, 8:28 PM

Well, I'm thinking pottery barn doesn't use Pyrex in their table schemes in their catalogs--that might be your problem. ;)

I do odd numbers too.

Misguided Mommy 10/3/11, 10:16 PM

So fine. I've posted the most embarrassing story of my life. And I promise not a single person on here can top it! http://www.misguidedmommy.com/blog/558/Along-Came-Shannon-(The-running-story-%20-a-bonus-embarrassing-horror-story)