The Crazy Suburban Mom: Nutrisystem story brought to the present

Hobonichi Cousin Planner

Monday, May 16, 2011

Nutrisystem story brought to the present

* This post is sponsored by a particularly impressive stretch mark that runs like the mighty Mississippi down one thigh and it's largest tributary that meanders across my trunk junk.*

*These are the prior parts       (Part 1)   (Part2) ( Part 3 )  (Part 4) *

After this installment I will be in my present day Nutrisystem  program and yes I know the story's  been a bit convoluted. (Sorry 'bout that)  I first went on the plan in my twenties and the resulting weight loss stayed off until my pregnancy some years later.

Being that my son is nineteen, it's time to get the baby weight off...

I left off at being post-op hemorrhoid surgery and having to leave the program for more fibrous pastures.  I was scared to death to leave; what was going to happen to my 40 pound loss?

While I was doing the program some people... Oh, those people used to drive me nuts.  What party-poopers they were. They couldn't wait to rain on my skinny parade and tell me I was going to gain it all back.  Or I wasn't learning how to eat and if I wanted to lose I should be going to a program where I was making, not opening, my food.  Or something else obnoxious.

Plus people told me every story about every  diet failure they've every known,  this one included.  And the second I was no longer on Nutrisystem I was going to blow up like the blueberry girl in Willie Wonka.  Well okay - Not everyone told me that, but one person found that to be sound - Nay. Helpful advice.

I don't know why people do what they do,  I can only tell you they were wrong.

The turning point mentally was when a friend brought me a meal in the hospital - post op.  A giant greasy Chinese take out buffet with lo mein, fried rice and many other crispy bites that I'd not contemplated eating in months.

I plated some up, excited,   but when I started eating it wasn't the party I was expecting.  I didn't get the same ohh là là I used to, in fact I wasn't feeling all that well.  It wasn't guilt.  It was nausea and I pushed my binge away.
I had to stop eating Nutrisystem food but the core of the program remained.  The things I'd learned about portion control and the lessons about hunger and satiety, check!  Still intact!  I stopped eating when I was full, check! And yay!  Eating more doesn't make me feel better, check! Clearly not, I was about to vomit.  Eating isn't an event, check and double check.  It was seeing the friend who brought me the food. And I could succeed.  Yeah I was getting that.  Slowly.

I hadn't realized I'd learned so much until a quart of chicken lo mein sat in front of me and I watched my hand push it away.

I lost about another 60 pounds over the next year without the food plan, just because of what I'd learned from Nutrisystem.  (I maintained almost the entire loss.)  Even though I was no longer able to eat the Nutrisystem food, the PLAN remained with me because it's not the food you need to change as much as your mind.  At least that was the case with my mind.
That is why people who say, Getting your food delivered won't help you learn to eat right are so wrong.  It's learning by example and for me, it might be the best way to learn.  Don't tell me how much to eat, SHOW ME.  Better yet, mail it to me in it's own cup.

So after all this time I'm back.  I finally said, enough.  I want to go back to what worked for me.   It's not the same program which is a huge plus - The plan  is spectacularly fibertastic and the food is so much better.  I can not even believe how much better it is.   And yes, of course, you can find positive and negative reviews on the food but a little perspective here, please.  Not everyone will like everything.

I have been doing the current program for a few weeks and I have enjoyed every meal.  I add extra veggies, sometimes low fat cheese, hot sauce... I don't know.  Things.  There are tons of hints and tips around.  You don't have to eat things as-is if you don't want.

I've lost 10 pounds so far and have a long way to go.  I need this jump-start badly.   What took me so long?

Vonlipi 5/16/11, 12:37 PM

I love reading about your Nutrisystem journey. It makes it real for me; I finally know a real person who's on the programm yay! Seeing Mary Osmond didn't make it real for me, no sireee!

Now I want to know why you left weight Watchers, if I'm not being too nosy....

I think those people who give you bad advice or horror stories are just plain jealous. They should be happy for you and celebrate your success instead. :)

The Crazy Suburban Mom 5/16/11, 5:20 PM

I don't have an awfully good reason as to why I left weight watchers really. The plan changed recently but I'd crashed and burned before that.

Part of why nutrisystem works is that the food is here. Which is a tip ww always give - do over your kitchen so theres always something on plan to eat. Which only works if you do it correctly. If you don't go to the store or buy something random... then you don't have what you need.

With nutrisystem its just planned out for long enough to become a habit. Its hard to explain but I can reset my stomach, and visually what a serving size is, and work on the other stuff. And it's not hard.

Misguided Mommy 5/19/11, 9:45 PM

I have always wanted to do this because I know that they have vegetarian meals. I sure wish I could afford it. I think it would save my life. I'm so tired of cooking a meal for my husband who eats meat, one for Codi who eats nothing, one for me and sometimes one for Brandon if Rob's is too spicy. I end up just eating cereal or junk or well junk since I'm too lazy to make my own meal. It would help so much to just have a meal ready for me.

The Crazy Suburban Mom 5/19/11, 9:55 PM

Misguided Mommy, I'm not immune to that aspect. I saved my money for a while to do it and I can only do this for a few months. It might be as few as two - could be as long as three - but that is stretching it for me. I'm not sure if I can carry the third month beyond what I saved.

But I feel like you do about it saving my life. When I did it before I was able to use it as a spring board and continue losing but I'd done it for 4 months and change. I'm not sure if doing it only for 2 months will have the same effect but I'm doing my best to learn as much as I can about portion size especially

And I'm saving the food containers so I can use them as a guide

Nutrisystem 5/20/11, 4:43 PM

Congratulations on all of your success so far! As we mentioned to you on Twitter, we are here to help if you have any questions or concerns while you are back on this journey!

Blogging and interacting via social media is a great way to chronicle your progress, but also be sure to check out all of the tools and features that are located in our online community at Nutrisystem.com! There you can join in on weight loss challenges to help you reach your goals, gather recipes to test out and even make a few extra nutribudies who share similar interests and concerns to your own!

Keep up the amazing work, as you are really off to a great start!

The Crazy Suburban Mom 5/20/11, 5:07 PM

Nutrisystem, I was just sitting around eating my current favorite dinner - Mac and cheese with added diced jalapenos and tomatoes ( To die(t) for by the way ) - and saw this come in. Well, all I can say is I'm verklempt. Getting a twitter response is one thing but a comment is better then calorie free pizza - so yeah.

I am on the NS website. I even posted the first two of these how I got to NS post in a blog in my area. And I am logging my weight, measurements, etc.

I also use the site on week ends because I need to figure out what I'm doing AND when I went out to dinner because there were a lot of good suggestions based on what kind of restaurant you're going to.

Thank you for this great support. Here, on twitter, facebook - the site is great. I don't know its all been so good!