The Crazy Suburban Mom: Felting Fun on Retro Tuesday

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Felting Fun on Retro Tuesday

I learned how to crochet a few years ago with a singular purpose; to felt something.  Not a clue what but I wanted to felt because the process was clearly the coolest thing ever.  The glitch was, well beyond my not knowing how to knit or crochet, I'm allergic to wool.

But I decided to put on my big girl panties and suck up the hives and associated itching and have me some hooking fun.

I haven't done any felting in ages but looking at all my new buttons...

vintage buttons tin

Made me want to do something with them.  I know most people just collect and play with them and yeah, me too but I do like to give the buttons a purpose.

Several years back I made felted bracelets and this weekend, being snowed in anyway, I thought - Yeah Baby!  I got out my hooks and wool and Benadryl and Calamine lotion and had me some felting fun...

felted cuff

And oh look!

Part of my rash is visible below the pretty cuff.  How attractive.   I used two vintage pearl(ish) buttons on my baby blue and pink ruffled felted cuff and since the buttons are very old - These were from a button box with some extremely old things, back to the 1920's - I think this clears the spirit of Retro Tuesday.

I have two more in the works.  I can't wear anything I make for long, granted; a problem.  Maybe I will etsy them or maybe I will just stare at them like I did all the old ones. But I sure like them and I really like doing something with the buttons I've collected.

PS and FYI if you're allergic to wool -  I can (and would love to and you probably could to ) work with Alpaca which felts and isn't wool and feels heavenly and cushy and divine.  It's also very very expensive and you have to use a lot of fiber when you felt because the shrinkage is intentional and quite impressive.

And an update - Here's the other two I've been working on:

felted bracelets3

One is gray and salmon pink with a pearl... (ish) .... button  and the other is the same light gray with a seafoam - Hm, seafoam? -  More  light Tupperware Green with a coordinating gray-green button.  They are not nearly as wide and no ruffles.  All of these open and close with the buttons.

Go visit my Retro Tuesday Pal, Ms. V at Vonlipi's Favorites

Lynette 12/28/10, 7:20 AM

Tracy, sew a silk lining in them so you can wear them silly!

Amy 12/28/10, 7:55 AM

Ooh, I'm itching just thinking about it! I, too, have a tin full of buttons, but thinking of making something with wool or felt makes me sneeze! I'll have to find another use for them!

The Crazy Suburban Mom 12/28/10, 8:04 AM

Lynette, Well... You mean to felt I had to learn to crochet and now I have to learn to sew too! LOL. Oh my!

Amy - The odd thing is I'm sort of desensitized a little bit. But not enough to really work with most of it.

That said, I can work with alpaca which isn't wool and feels so soft and wonderful and it felts. But its very very expensive

Alpaca is really the solution - I should amend the post :)

ceemee 12/28/10, 8:24 AM

Looks nice! Love your collection

Maureen 12/28/10, 12:04 PM

How purty!

Babes Mami 12/28/10, 12:15 PM

You should etsy them!

The Crazy Suburban Mom 12/28/10, 12:29 PM

ceemee and maureen, Thank you!

Babes, I've thought of it and I've sold some on etsy but mostly just the buttons. Selling actual things is different. Harder. You almost have to have a following before you can sell... It helps to have been doing it forever already...

Vonlipi 12/28/10, 1:54 PM

I would love to try felting but I don't know how to crochet!

And I am allergic to wool too! How crazy is that? :)

Those are really cute!

The Crazy Suburban Mom 12/28/10, 2:00 PM

V - You know a great way to go about it is 'upcycling' thrifted sweaters. And if you find one that is another fiber like alpaca - or something that doesn't bother you... Cashmere I cant deal with but many people can that are allergic... you can felt the sweater and make things that way. You don't have to knit the items to felt.

And if you don't that's less that you have to touch it.

Plus if you buy the item used you can tell if its going to bother you...

Lin 12/29/10, 10:13 PM

You are sooo funny working with the stuff and suffering the whole time. Sounds like something my mom would do! Hahahaha!

Andrea - Faded Plains 12/30/10, 6:22 PM