The Crazy Suburban Mom: I'm loving cold cream...

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I'm loving cold cream...

I need a break from painting the bathroom.  So. Bad.   I thought I'd do a post about make-up - well, skin care - again, because my buying frenzy has sort of calmed down and my skin has calmed down too.

Over the last year or so I really tried a lot of products above and beyond the Retin-A.  When I told my dermatologist I was still breaking out she gave me a stronger dose and I still had as she calls it, break through.

I didn't ask for anything stronger still because my insurance company has decided they don't pay for 'skin' issues anymore.  Okay, well they pay for some;  contagious, fulminating, oozing pustules they pay for. But they decided that acne - even acne in a woman at the age some woman are wearing Depends - isn't important to deal with.

So left to my own devices I tried a barrage of OTC teenage acne products which my skin viewed as harsh.

No.  Not harsh.   More like this.

Instead of the desired effect.  Peeling the acne (and probably attached skin) off my face it made the whole situation  atomically worse;  my skin got so dry, it flaked worse then it already was.  But I was afraid to moisturize because I'd break out.  More then I already was...

The whole situation was pretty much an ugly mess of flaky dry acne  that I couldn't even cover because the only thing that looked worse then my skin was my skin covered with peeling makeup.

I don't even know what made me try cold cream - it made no sense to try it but I think I was just out of things to try and cold cream was all that was left.  Pond's Cold Cream is really cheap - like five bucks on sale.  And it really has a vintage appeal (not that that would be enough if I kept breaking out like a fifteen year old...)

And in a week's time I wasn't breaking out and in less time my skin is all calm and smooth.  I looked on line and I'm far from the only one who has had this experience.

I'm also using the Pond's Dry Skin Cream which is also cheap in comparison to just about every thing else out there...  about five bucks on sale too.

And before anyone says anything - I've read the ingredients I know what's in it and it's not clogging anything.  My face is clearer then it's been in, man.  I don't know. And I've been a Retin-A user for years and I'm still using it  but adding Pond's seems to have tipped me over some good skin line. Plus now my skin is calm.

Maybe my skin was breaking out because it was irritated (although it broke out before I nuked it), some people have that problem.  I waited weeks to write about it because I didn't want to Yay! too soon and I also tried the generic CVS brand but nope - it's the Pond's brand cold cream making a difference for me.

Can't explain it but really love it.

*Bought this myself - it's not a review review.  I just love it...*

Lynette 11/9/10, 8:47 AM

great news...i so have issues with my face. right now that horrid head cold has my nose all torn up

Vonlipi 11/9/10, 10:18 AM

That is such good news! A product that has been around forever really works! YAY!

I might try it someday.

Evil Twin's Wife 11/9/10, 12:32 PM

I only have a blemish from time to time, but my skin is also on the dry side, so that may be the deal there. I love the Garnier Ultra Lift Pro moisturizer. And, it's not too pricey either! I might have to try the Pond's though. I love the smell of it!

Babes Mami 11/9/10, 8:05 PM

I use Oil of Olay but I infrequently break out and it works. I may try this just to try it and see how it works.

Lin 11/9/10, 9:19 PM

I swear by Mary Kay. I know, call me an old lady, but it works and I'm not changing it! I still rely on vaseline for removing my eye make-up. The old stuff is the tried and true!

Tohir Cicomre 11/9/10, 10:02 PM

pond's products are the best to take care of our skin

Marian Love Phillips 11/10/10, 12:27 AM

I have used it all my life and I will be 70 in January...I LOVE the stuff and have had people to tell me that I look 10 years younger! :) I'm so glad that you finally found a product that works for you as well! :)

The Crazy Suburban Mom 11/10/10, 8:26 AM

Lynette, feel better fast honey! That is the worst and my nose always gets the same way :(

Miss V - Give it a shot - you never know. You could try googling it, a lot of people have had similar results. There are also alot of home made versions on etsy you could try too.

Evil Twin - The thing is - at the major drug stores they have a money back guarantee and its even if you opened the product so you won't lose even if you hate it you can return it.

Babes - give it a shot. If you buy at cvs or rite aid you can always return it

Lin - I wont be calling you an old lady - I mean cold cream??? lol

Tohir - its working for me, for sure!

Marian - When I looked it up I found so many people who said the same thing - or the same thing about relatives. Im so glad you posted :)

Grampy 11/10/10, 10:04 AM

I have the dried skin on my forehead. Maybe that will work for it. I'll give it a try.