The Crazy Suburban Mom: Grandma Anna's vintage buttons on Retro Tuesday

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Grandma Anna's vintage buttons on Retro Tuesday

It's Retro Tuesday and it's all mine; no magazine ads today.  My father is redoing the basement and he found something I thought was long gone.

I don't remember this box.

001

Athough it's pretty cool.

005

But I remember these puppies.

006

They were Grandma Anna's and I played with them hundreds of times.  She was a seamstress.  Well, for her family and friends.  Her father was a taylor during the depression and I think my Great Grandmother took in side work and laundry.  My Grandmother just did what all woman of that time did; sewed for their family.

And not just to mend things.  My Grandmother could sew anything. And I mean coats.  Whole mens suits.  Gowns.  Now that I think of it, I believe she crocheted, too.

Grandma sewed for me  a long, long time ago.  People of her generation didn't sew because they wanted to; they did it out of necessity.  I think she loved the art of it but really, I don't know.  Making your family's clothes was just the thing to do; women didn't have a choice to sew or not to sew if they weren't wealthy.

I never thought about whether Grandma Anna enjoyed sewing; going to pick out fabric and  buttons (sometimes she made them).  I don't know if having meticulously matched thread was important to her although it must have been because her thread matched like it was custom dyed.

She never knew I noticed her thread matched her garments, I wish I'd told her.  Knowing someone noticed would have been important to her.

two1

Me, a lotta years ago

Last day to enter the Libman Broom Giveaway!

Retro Tuesday Friends!

Go visit Ms. V ( The Princess of Pyrex) at Vonlipi's Favorites!
Tara over at Scarborough Seashells
Colorado Lady

Lin 11/30/10, 7:57 AM

Oooooh, look at those buttons!! I think my mom has a button box somewhere. Does anyone really USE any of these buttons???

The Crazy Suburban Mom 11/30/10, 8:06 AM

Lin, I do. I don't know if you remember those key fobs I make with them? Plus other things I've done... Anyway - if you've got some around taking up space let me know... I'd be glad to take those nasty old things off your hands :) LOL

And PS I didn't realize you made gingers bed!!! OMG

Vonlipi 11/30/10, 8:25 AM

Oh yes she would've been glad you noticed the matching thread.

Anyways back then you couldn't buy ready made clothes, because they were very scarce and super expensive.My grandmother made all the clothes for her family and my mom made everything for me when I was young. She would make me dresses out of my dad's old sweaters and would dye tights to match. She made me winter coats and hats too.

I use old buttons too :)

Mommy Kennedy 11/30/10, 8:55 AM

What a cool story! I'm loving that box!

I understand about the buttons and playing with them. When my Grandma passed, all I really wanted was a steel coaster set that I played with when I was little. I have them now and my 2 year old plays with them all the time!

Gabriele Agustini 11/30/10, 10:02 AM

This post touched my heart.
Not only your 'find', but the woman in the story.
She sounds wonderful.
I loved my grandmother more than anything, as a child. This brought back some sweet memories for me.
Hugs,
gabriele

Lynette 11/30/10, 10:44 AM

do you know how big i smiled when I saw those buttons?
little time just fingering the screen trying to get to them.
lucky lucky you!

thedickdujour 11/30/10, 1:13 PM

My Nana had a button box as well and I swear I spend day after day playing with them. I save every button I can get my hands on but I don't think I'll ever reach a collection like our grandmas had.

Thank you for the memory.

Babes Mami 11/30/10, 7:29 PM

I LOVE BUTTONS! I just adore them. I have no idea why I just love to have them. :]

Vintagesouthernlife 12/4/10, 8:13 PM

My grandmother had a large button jar. One of my favorite things was to get in that jar. Thanks for sharing and for the memory.