The Crazy Suburban Mom: A metric poop-ton of years ago...

Monday, September 27, 2010

A metric poop-ton of years ago...

... I bought  cheap make-up at a drug store and it didn't end up being cheap at all.   My eyes swelled up like a golf balls and given that I didn't have insurance that 99¢ lilac sparkly cream eye shadow was no bargain, factoring in the cost of the doctor visit and all...

But I've had to rethink my cheap makeup phobia given some of the Youtube raves I've seen for really cheap stuff.   And apparently the new cheap stuff is lots better since the time my eyes were goflballized..

I thought I'd post some of the drugstores stuff I've found that I like  since there is no way I'm doing videos like the cute 15 year olds do.

Generic Cetaphil   I tried other cleansers but what can I say, I keep coming back to a generic version of Cetaphil. It was recommended by my dermatologist years ago and it doesn't aggravate my skin (which seems to be a big factor in my skin problems).  I've tried the CVS version and the RiteAid one and I'm happy with both.

RiteAid has a buy one get one free this week so for $7.99 you can get 2 of them or do what I did and get one of the cleansers and one of the lotions.

Zit Zapper The zit zapper from elf is really (really) quite the product.

It costs a buck and you want to know something,  I think it works faster and better then anything I've tried ( which shocks, awes and kind of scares me) It's a spot treatment so you're not using it on skin that doesn't need it.

Acne Stress Control    I'm really happy with this as an all over treatment and prevention.

Neutrogena Acne Stress Control is a creamy gel and I like it a lot.   It's $9.99 and I use it during the day on areas that I'm likely to break out. Which is all of them except my eye balls.

Healthy Skin   And this one is Neutrogena too.  Their Healthy Skin Face Lotion with Alpha- Hydroxy Acids is what I use during the day with the Stress Control.

I think this was a little over $9.99. After adding it I started saying to myself I might be able to skip make up someday.  And my skin feels really good now.

Ponds Magic Powder  Now this...

I had to order the Ponds Magic Powder on eBay.  It's only sold ...Hmmm... I can't remember where in Asia now.  I ordered mine from a seller in Thailand, I think.

I use it after my moisturizer (and sometimes before bed) when I just want to wear just a powder.   They are like a matte finish/shine absorber.  And they  keep you matte for a long time.  I usually use these and than a regular powder in my color.  These are not 'face' colors and you can't use too much or you look bizarre.  Kabuki.  They are really cheap - Usually around a dollar but less then two.  I heart these quite a lot.

To keep it real...  I bought all these things  in case anyone was wondering...

Christy 9/27/10, 12:09 PM

I love elf makesup and they are cheap but they also give you smaller pots and nail polishes than usual, too. I once bought lipstick for $1 and my lips swelled up huge and were very itchy. Benadryl helped but it swore me off for quite some time. So I can understand a little bit what you mean.

Babes Mami 9/27/10, 12:26 PM

What?!?! A makeup review type post thing! Love that you did it!

The Crazy Suburban Mom 9/27/10, 12:29 PM

Christy - EXACTLY!! That's what happened to my eyes :)

Babes, you ruined me you did :)

Gabriele Agustini 9/27/10, 12:59 PM

If that happened to you girls, with my sensitivities, I'd probably blow-up like the Pillsbury Dough Boy!!

Another great post! Thanks for taking the time!!
Hugs,
gabriele

Maureen 9/27/10, 1:16 PM

It didn't matter what you were talking about, that was funny!

ZAJA Natural 9/27/10, 4:03 PM

I just can't wear any makeup. I break out the minute it hits my skin. Even mineral makeup hates me.

Vonlipi 9/27/10, 4:49 PM

Where can I buy Zit Zapper? Since I'm in Maine....It might be at Rite Aid or Walgreens, let me know!

Vonlipi 9/27/10, 4:49 PM
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Crazy Suburban Mom 9/27/10, 5:03 PM

Maureen :))))

Miss V, Some Target stores have Elf stuff - I hear they have thus as a combo with other things. But its from elf.com which does ship to Canada although I hear it takes a pretty long time to get there - Three weeks sometimes which seems a really long time.

If you cant find it in a Target while in Maine, check the site and see if there is anything else you want, they do have a ton of stuff.

Clarissa 9/27/10, 5:22 PM

aww...that' awful...glad that you've found the best skin care that suits you well. Mine is Cosmence skin products.

Lin 9/27/10, 7:42 PM

I use regular 'ol Vaseline for taking my make-up off and for dry skin. Still can't beat that stuff.

Lynette 9/28/10, 8:02 AM

Honestly I rarely wear make up. So that helps. I seem to break out and swell up and all kinds of things to all kinds of make up. I started using Mary Kay years ago without any adverse effects. So that is it for me. And since I am so limited on wearing my make up, I normally make one purchase a year to replace old make up and renew with fresh. So cost not horrid in that manner.

Debbie 9/28/10, 8:42 AM

I need to look for that ELF product. I love ELF stuff!