The Crazy Suburban Mom: What's in my bag?

Sunday, August 8, 2010

What's in my bag?

The 'What's in your bag' Flickr Group fascinates me. It's a group, a huge group by the way - over 18,000 members - posting the stuff they carry in their stuff.

And I've sat for hours this weekend looking at the stuff everyone carries around.

I don't have the designer bags and doodads some people have but I'm going to do it anyway cause it looks like fun.

001

Remember the key fobs I made with vintage buttons?

010

And remember all my planner issues?  Well, I didn't ever find a planner I liked so I made one by taking apart one with a cool retro cover...

009

And turning it into something I liked and that hopefully will work for me...

003

by adding Moleskines.

I covered one of the Moleskines with part of vintage Hawaiian menu that I bought on eBay ages ago...  Also in that picture is my Motorola  Karma phone which I like but it's no iPhone and my Requip (can't leave home without that.

I do have an iTouch but it just sort of reminds me I don't have an iPhone.  That adorable pink thing with the heart and button?  It's for putting around take out coffee mugs.  It's a coffee cozy.  Bottom left has the bluetooth for my phone and brown upper right is a credit card thing from Levenger.  Got it ages ago - they have the nicest leather stuff.

011

The purse is one I got a few years ago on clearance from J Jill and I keep going back to it.

012

It's not perfect but there are perfect things about it.  The leather is really soft and the shoulder drop is perfect.  It's a large purse and classic in style.  I wish it was a different color and had more compartments but of all the purses I have I come back to this one over and over.

So, what's in everyone's purse?

Mesha 8/8/10, 2:14 PM

The What's in Your Bag group is pretty sweet, yes ! I'm a huge fan of it, and I too spend hours on end browsing it - my favorite is the "What's REALLY in your bag ?" group because people keep all the "embarrassing" stuff in - sanitary towels ? Meds ? It's all in and nobody pretties up - just keepin' it real :D
My bag is a mess either way, so I added it to both pools. Lol.
xo !

Lin 8/8/10, 4:48 PM

The thing that blows everyone away when I empty my purse is the rubber fingers. It makes everyone crack up for some reason. When they ask me what those are for, I just smirk and let them wonder.

They are rubber fingers, for god's sake! I use them for whatever paperwork comes up at work or home. And I hate looking for them in both places, so I just keep them in my purse. But everyone seems to think it is something bizarre.

Let 'em wonder, I say. :)

Maureen 8/8/10, 7:54 PM

I have purse issues too! I buy a purse, try it out for a day and inevitably return it. I keep going back to the same one!

Leslie 8/8/10, 9:36 PM

Nice bag, lol i think im going to join that group. I'm nosy & i love knowing what people carry. :)

I hope you had a great weekend!

Toronto Yardsaler 8/8/10, 9:40 PM

What's in your bag is fantastic. I've got so much crap in my bag, I'm ashamed. I usually wait until I'm bored waiting for a train and begin sifting out all the old cough drop wrappers and bus transfers. Duncan came downstairs a couple of weeks ago after rummaging through my bag. He had a tampon in his hand and wanted to know what it was. I told him it's something for women, like makeup.
I need to go minimalist.
Love your notebook.
Erin

Babes Mami 8/9/10, 9:35 AM

I will be stealing this idea soon! My bag is a hot mess though lol

Lynette 8/9/10, 4:56 PM

first i love that your purse has bright colors in there. like your personality!

mine....well first which bag are we talking about. I only have like 4 of them all with stuff in them right now. Seriously.

I just change out my keys and cell phone holder that has my id in it when I grab one.

Mina 8/10/10, 12:48 PM

This is such a cool idea, I think I'll do a post like this on my blog!

That's a great notebook--I love anything Hawaiian and vintage!

J Sedai 8/23/10, 6:30 AM

my purse would be scary if I took a pic of what was in there, I'll try to list some of the things I can remember here for you:
a makeup case FULL of JUST lipgloss/lipstick
a small zip case FULL of tampons (in case)
a tape measure, multi tool (leatherman/gerber), eyeglass repair kit, nail file, sewing kit
key chain, cell phone, wallet
4 diapers, and wipe container, 4 wet naps
3 packs of different flavored gum
and a bottle of my prescription for my migraines. I think that's it? I have most things in lil "pockets" for easy purse changing, and it makes my purse look tidy. and keeps me from loosing things.