The Crazy Suburban Mom: Putting on our big girl cooking panties for Retro Tuesday

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Putting on our big girl cooking panties for Retro Tuesday

Of all the things that came in here recently, this is my favorite.  Mongo's cookbook.

Know what I love most about community cookbooks?   See this recipe...

partymeat loaf

At first glance it looks like a big nothing...

But here's the thing.  Prepare as for meat loaf assumes you know how to make one or have the where with all to figure it out.  In any case this recipe's not for the meat loaf part so go find your own, Girly... Mrs. Gorfman's saying in so many words.

Old cookbooks assume if your in front of the stove packing a ladle you have your big girl cooking panties on.

Today's cookbooks assume you know nothing and without detailed instructions you will stand at the stove biting your nails, pondering the size pot you should use or the size dice you should be dicing.  Please.

And will you look at this one...

Not an amount in the recipe.

fish

I mean, whoever attempts this not only has her big girl cooking panties on but her big old cooking grandma panties on.

And yeah, not a great visual and all.  But I got to admire that gal.

The cook book has  long since lost it's covers and intro pages.  I had to ask Mongo how old it was and even she didn't know exactly.  So we took a different approach.

In the back there were Celebrity Recipes.

eleanorroosevelt

jackson

(bigger images available at flickr)

This is the one that dated it for us..

helen meyner recipe

(a bigger image is available at flickr)

She was the wife of  Robert B. Meyner (Mongo filled me in on this - I had no idea).  He was the Governor of New Jersey from 1954 to 1962.  Mongo is pretty sure she got the cookbook in the mid to late 1950's which would be about right.

I love finding these old cookbooks at sales but this one may be the best one yet because someone handed it to me, talked to me about it and wanted me to have it.  Thank you, Mongo.

LINK TO MY BLOG...
Email me and I'll put your link right  here.

Vonlipi's Favorites

Da Dude 7/13/10, 8:15 AM

Tracy! Now I would look pretty silly standing in front of the stove with big girl panties on. We have a bunch of cookbooks that were self published by different organizations. You know the fund raising type of cookbooks. A lot of the recipes are like the first one. The one that I thought was funny was making dumplings. "If the dough is to thin add flour until it feels right." Thin? Feels right? If you never made dumplings how do you know if its to thin or feels right? I just eat them not make them.

The Crazy Suburban Mom 7/13/10, 8:24 AM

Dude, I know, your right but that is quite the visual of you trying to figure out if your dumpling have the right consistency in your big girl panties..I mean, c'mon!

Vonlipi 7/13/10, 8:35 AM

Back then you just knew.

And your mom thought you the basics...and besides if you cook as much as they did the big girls panties come naturally ;)

Thanks Mongo!

Vonlipi 7/13/10, 8:35 AM
This comment has been removed by the author.
peacechaser 7/13/10, 10:01 AM

You hit it-the lack of measurements has stopped me from trying a number of recipes in these old books. I have to have some clue as to what the amounts are-i am not so good at winging it.

Maureen 7/13/10, 11:37 AM

I don't like cookbooks without pics never mind measurements!!

Babes Mami 7/13/10, 2:39 PM

I don't cook so this no measurements things would stress me out!

Mimi 7/13/10, 2:43 PM

Those ladies were tough back then. They didn't mess around. No microwaves. No shortcuts. No whining in the kitchen! Put on your big ol' gramma panties and get cookin'. I love it!!!

More Milestones 7/13/10, 6:52 PM

I wonder what people will think about my recipe book in 50 yrs. : )

Theres just life 7/13/10, 7:01 PM

Right now I am in the process of typing up some of the recipes my mother had collected all her life. Quite a few are like this and I'm having to figure away to write them so my niece, raised on convenience food can make heads or tails of them. But then sometimes when I tell my sister one of my recipes I have no idea what the amounts are. Luckily she learned to cook from the same mother I had.

Lisa B. 7/13/10, 8:23 PM

My grandmother's recipes were "a pinch, a dash, a smidge" Her tablespoons were actually a tablespoon from her dinnerware set, so was her teaspoon.

Making her pies are near impossible!

Da Dude 7/13/10, 10:10 PM

I will not sink so low to ask as to which dumplings you are talking about. LOL Have a great rest of the week We're leaving tomorrow for the U.P. of Michigan for a BBQ contest.

J Sedai 7/14/10, 12:54 AM

I resist all the time to post recipes like this on my site, I am pretty good at knowing how much amounts look like so I just do my best. but it's OH so tempting to say, use a pie crust, or make some biscuit dough.

and everyone should have some big girl panties in case of an emergency!

@eloh 7/14/10, 1:18 AM

Does it matter that my big girl panties are sold in packs of 18 and are disposable?

I need to e-mail you...

Zootsuitmama 7/14/10, 5:43 PM

This is Zootsuitmama, and I know a little about meatloafs, cuz I came up in that era. It reminds me of the Brady Bunch movie when the woman witnesses Mrs. Brady asking for 5 lbs of hamburger, and says, "You still feed your family hamburger?" ZSM

LV 7/15/10, 9:59 AM

I would never attempt to try one of these recipes. I have hard enough time with detailed instructions. These all are very interesting cookbooks.

fitty's pinky rose cottage 7/15/10, 11:24 AM

errr.. I am not that brave to try the recipes unless I have confidence of doing it.. normally I afraid of the measurement gone haywire! but welp, the recipes looks interesting tho'!

Maureen 7/15/10, 1:35 PM

The name 'Mahalia Jackson' was ringing a bell but I wasn't sure why. Short memory!

Postcardy 7/15/10, 1:37 PM

I think I saw a recipe similar to that huckleberry pudding in the WWII Betty Crocker booklet I posted today.

Anna 7/15/10, 10:40 PM

I love these, too, but this is an incredible treasure.

Sally Annie Magundy 7/17/10, 3:08 PM

"big old cooking grandma panties" ... bwhahhahahhaha, love that, you're a hoot!

Happy VTT,