The Crazy Suburban Mom: Dishwasher Karma

Hobonichi Cousin Planner in my Filofax

Monday, July 5, 2010

Dishwasher Karma

And before I even go there, it's fourteen years old.  And yes, it was the standard builder's install but isn't stuff supposed to come out cleaner then when I put it in?

002

Every once in a while I see  Susie Homemaker do a housekeeping spot on the news where she swears up and down you can put a mac and cheese crusted casserole in the dishwasher and it will come out sparkly clean.  And yes, your water has to be hot enough and maybe you need the pot-scrubber setting and sure, sure she says it's all in how you load the thing but no.  Just no.

If I even thought of doing that I'd be picking cheese-caked noodles off everything for a month.  I've never ever, ever experienced sparkly.

I get chunky and I pre-wash.

Does everyone else take sparkly out of their dishwashers? And is this chunky business some cutlery-related karmic debt because I was a dreadful rich woman in a past life and mean to Millicent, my kitchen maid.

Millicent, always one for a spot of tea with a dash of irony, asked to be reincarnated  as my GE dishwasher.

Is there any hope of sparkly or is the chunky stuck on thing some unpayable karmic load I'm going to have to live with.

This time around.

001

Babes Mami 7/5/10, 8:36 AM

My dishwasher is awful but it's the cheapo one they put in apartments. My moms was always fantastic. Mine only cleans them if they are almost already clean...now that I write this out...why am I even using it?

Debbie 7/5/10, 10:15 AM

Oh please, I can't even THINK about putting unrinsed things in my dishwasher. If I do then I just get dishes that are clean but now have what I can only describe as hills and valleys of dried food.

50s Housewife 7/5/10, 10:59 AM

My previous dishwasher was the same way. Part of it was the way that it was installed. Food from the disposal could back up into the dishwasher. I had to be sure and always run the disposal really well before I started a load. But the dishwasher also just wasn't working correctly. I had to quit using it and washed everything by hand until I got a new one in February and it works so well! I hear the hallelujah chorus in my head every time I unload clean dishes. ;)

Patricia Rockwell 7/5/10, 11:00 AM

Luckily, my husband loads and unloads the dishwasher, so I never even think about these things. He must be doing it right as I never see crusted muck on our dishes. BTW, thanks for visiting lonely old me on the Fourth!

Susie Homemaker 7/5/10, 2:01 PM

No dishwasher here...I wash, he dries and we talk the whole time. Quality time and the chore gets done lickety split...wouldn't have it any other way.

And...everything SPARKLES!! Because, I am all about the SPARKLE. :)

Grace 7/5/10, 2:24 PM

I have a 2-year old crappy Frigidaire dishwasher which works surprisingly well - I get sparkle on the eco-wash cycle but not on the speed wash cycle. I never use the regular cycle. There are only 2 of us here so never a lot of dished but my oh my I love me my dishwasher.

Maureen 7/5/10, 6:06 PM

I always pre-wash but the issue is probably mine and not the dishwasher.

J Sedai 7/5/10, 6:55 PM

I"ve heard (and need to try) that sometimes the dishwasher just needs to be cleaned too? so you can run it empty with soap in it, and with tang, and with nothing at all, so, 3 times with no dishes, OR you could go all old fashioned and scrub it out by hand? and the disposal thing is important, cause when mine's backed up the dishes are ewww.

♥peachkins♥ 7/5/10, 8:35 PM

The truth is...we don't have a dishwasher. Regular household do not have dishwashers on this side of the globe. Thanks for droppin' by my blog. It's so nice to meet you...

blowing peachkisses
The Peach Kitchen
peach and things

Used Stationary Bikes 7/6/10, 2:50 AM

we only use the greatest natural dishwasher since years, and it never makes us disappointed. Not only washing the dishes it also puts them into the cupboard or onto table.