The Crazy Suburban Mom: Fat fat fat fat and more fat; it's what's for dinner...

Hobonichi Cousin Planner

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Fat fat fat fat and more fat; it's what's for dinner...

I haven't done Colorado Lady's regular Vintage Thingies Thursday post in a while because most of my Retro Tuesday posts work but this last one, I dunno...  It was very, very atomic aqua but only minimally retro.  I didn't even call it Retro Tuesday, I called it Retro Turquiosday.

But before I get to the real Vintage Thingies Thursday stuff, I want to do the Pink Pyrexy Vintage Thingies Thursday Stuff.   Just look what Miss V from Vonlipi's Favorites sent me.

pyrexnew

And look how much prettier it is then my green stuff.  Makes me want to throw my green stuff against a rock and watch it explode.

Cause that's what Pyrex does, by the way.

Explode.

Lost a lot of casseroles that way.

So go visit her blog she has the most amazing Pyrex; I think she might actually live in a house made of Pyrex. Or stop by her etsy store where I notice she now has Fire King Jadeite.

Jadeite, really?   Now you're finding Jadeite too, Missy?

And so we move from the sublime to the ridiculous...  I love community cookbooks.  Sometimes I love the recipes and sometimes I just love the giggles.

This one was a giggler.

hospitalcook

It was put out by a New Jersey Hospital in 1968 and this was the first recipe in the book...

easterpie

Aunt Angie's husband was the chief of cardiology (It's mentioned in the beginning of the cookbook).  Dr. Aunt Angie's Husband must've been hurting for patients that year.

I figure a community of people eating 31 eggs, 1 pound of ham, 1 pound of salami, 1 pound of pepperoni, 1 pound of farmer's cheese, and a cup of Crisco could put Dr. and Mrs. Aunt Angie's kids through college.

And then some.

What in the world could this lead balloon taste like or feel like as it hit your stomach?  Just for giggles I put the recipe* in the online nutrition calculator at  sparkpeople and oh! The giggling I did.  So if any of you want to make Aunt Angie's Easter Pie here's the lowdown.

pie

NI

Mmmm-Mmmm-Good! and make mine a double...

*I had to do some guesstimating here. There was no way to know actual number of servings but it was for a bigger pie - with 4 1/2 POUNDS of flour (which is probably three times the amount here).  Since I couldn't covert volume to weight easily and the fat content was much higher for the meats back in '68 - and for the cheese as well,  I made it a one pie recipe and called it a day.*

Lidian 6/3/10, 9:30 AM

Tracy, I love that you figured out the calorie count on this! Mucho lol!

Aunt Angie was a very supportive wife, wasn't she? This has got to be one of my favorite Retro Cookbook posts ever, anywhere :)

Vonlipi 6/3/10, 10:15 AM

Thank you Tracy! You're a sweetheart!

Yes I'm finding Jadeite now...I believe eastern Ontario is a big untapped pool of affordable jadeite...Don't even think about it! It's mine, all mine HAHAHAHAMOUAHAHA (evil laugh).

That was quite a recipe, I would call it Coronary Pie!

viridian 6/3/10, 10:24 AM

I agree, coronary pie. Note the cookbook was called A gourmet's Guide to Good Cooking!

The Crazy Suburban Mom 6/3/10, 10:26 AM

Lidian, The calorie counts on some of these thing, omg - the horror! These recipes were before people could do that - obviously!

And okie dokie! LOL! Coronary pie, it is!

Babes Mami 6/3/10, 10:35 AM

First, your never changing banner! I liked the one from yesterday but this one is nice too.

Second, holy heart attack in a pie!! That's just scary, and that's how people ate? How were they not big giant fatties!!

The Crazy Suburban Mom 6/3/10, 10:39 AM

Babes, Yeah the banner thing. I'm changing around things. I actually want to change my background something fierce but thats complicated. My plan so far is to change the mastheads - just change 'em up. When I feel like it I guess... not as much as I am. Which has been every few days. I guess more like monthly. I was trying to get a look I was happy with - colorwise I guess...

As to not being a giant fatty? who says Im not? LOL

Bossy Betty 6/3/10, 10:41 AM

Love the Pyrex and yes! I have seen it explode!

I have a feeling Aunt Angie had a vendetta against her family and friends. Yikes!

The Retrench Report 6/3/10, 11:18 AM

Corelle plate explode too...which makes sense, I guess.

Totally drooling over the pink pyrex! I have tons of the crazy daisy/spring blossom green stuff...totally loved it when i first started collecting it..now I want to find turquoise and pink! Can I find it cheaply? No. Not yet. My quest hath begun. You've inspired me.

CC 6/3/10, 12:04 PM

Oh My !!!!!!! The Pyrex is gorgeous.. I love the pink and I love the pattern. I love the community cookbooks...and I also have some of the cookbooks that were put together by those who worked in the hospital,Dr's wives and volunteers. Some of the recipes make you wonder..if they've lost their minds. I really enjoy reading through them.. Happy VTT..

Tara Beaulieu 6/3/10, 2:45 PM

LMAO at you, figuring out all the dirty details in those ingredients, Tracy! Sounds like one of my healthier recipes! I am SO jealous of your new lovely pyrex and of all the turquoise pieces she blogged about on her recent road trip. Happy VTT, woman!

Postcardy 6/3/10, 3:39 PM

I like the green stuff better.

Maureen 6/3/10, 4:34 PM

Love your commentary....hunting for patients...lol!

Serendipity Handmade 6/3/10, 8:05 PM

Glad to see you as part of VTT now Tracy! :-)

I totally love those community cookbooks. I have several. And I will never, never determine the nutrition information for the recipes! :-)

Hope you'll come visit me too: http://serendipityhandmade.blogspot.com/search/label/vtt

Lin 6/3/10, 10:10 PM

Oh. my. GOD! That recipe is a killer--literally! Gasp!

Anna Matthews 6/3/10, 11:13 PM

That is too funny, a cardiologist!!! That's as good as the catalogue that I got once that called an Amish cookbook HEALTHY?!?! TFS the calorie counting site, that's a keeper for me.

bonnie 6/4/10, 6:24 PM

Martha Stewart did an episode that featured this very recipe. My arteries are clogging just thinking about it...

Ulla 6/5/10, 10:15 AM

The Pyrex is lovely but the recipe makes me feel sick. Her husband must have needed new patients, and she tried to help.