The Crazy Suburban Mom: Weekend round-up, a question and a stupid thing I left off yesterday's list

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Weekend round-up, a question and a stupid thing I left off yesterday's list

1.   I have two years left on Pandora's MaxiCare extended car warranty. One $76 car repair in the next two years  will make the repairs (If I had to pay for them, which I don't) more expensive than the warranty.

And I bought the warranty less than four months ago.

2.  Taz needs a new...

tazzysm

...hobby.

003

Seriously.

3.  A question.  I've never had a non-stick pan that didn't become, stick after a short time.  Cheap pans. Expensive pans.  Doesn't matter.

When I first get them they are all perfect and can scramble eggs like nobody's business but soon foods sticking to them like Velcro.

Any one know if there is a trick I'm missing?

I'm not steel wooling the things or anything.  And I'd appreciate knowing what I'm missing since I just bought a new pan.

Again.

I've been using one of those epilady things on my legs.  You know what I mean?  The things that rip out your leg hair by the roots. Yeah so last week I used it under an arm.

Now.   The stupid part is after I felt how bad it was I continued under the other arm.  And the really stupid part is after a few days I noticed that it feels really good and I'll probably do it again.

Da Dude 5/8/10, 9:22 AM

On your no stick pans, have you been using the silicon or plastic flippers? It does make a big difference. Also, I wash mine separate from other dishes so the don't bang together and get scratched. Then again, you could always use a good cooking spray to use on the old pans.

The Crazy Suburban Mom 5/8/10, 10:04 AM

DaDude - Do you think I've scratched the surface and that the stick is a result?

TALES FROM THE TRENCHES OF PARENTING 5/8/10, 10:45 AM

Regarding the nonstick pan question; mine were doing the same thing until I recently (and only recently of course after using them for like, a bazillion years!), that if you use nonstick (PAM) spray, then it deteriorates the nonstick coating on the pan, and may/may not void the "awesome" warranty they give us on the thing as well.

I use extra fat butter now and pancakes never tasted so good!

Babes Mami 5/8/10, 10:47 AM

Baking soda paste will take off the grime. I have heard that if you cook things at too high of a temp you will eventually ruin your pans. The new pan we bought recommends 'the butter test' heat up your pan and put a swipe of butter in it, if it melts it's fine but if it turns brown and starts too bubble it's too hot. I don't cook a lot so I don't know how effective it is but it's something. Also, you should never use metal on those pans. I'm sure you know that but just in case!

icedteaforme 5/8/10, 11:29 AM

I do not know from experience, but my mom swears by stacking non-stick pans with towels between them, something about the bottomside of other pans can scratch them.....she also never puts them in the dishwasher

Da Dude 5/9/10, 10:49 AM

Like Iced Tea said you may scratching your pans without realizing it by stacking other things in them. I've scratched several pans by using metal flippers before I realized thats what silicon and plastic flippers are for. A real "Duh"moment for me.

Lin 5/10/10, 8:00 PM

I don't know about the pan, but can you cook those eggs up???

What the heck is that bird doing???! Is she bored?