The Crazy Suburban Mom: Running on empty

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Running on empty

I went to print something yesterday and found this...

005

Not like I didn't know it was coming.  I've been pretty much all Scarlet O'Hara and Fiddle Dee Dee I'll worry about it tomorrow on the ink buying situation for that hog for quite some time.  Six-tee dollars for a combo pack. Come on, Epson.

And okay,  it's really $59.84  but that's close enough to sixty, which is more than halfway to ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS, to make me want to toss a lunch monkey.

Anyway...

Here's a (very) partial list of things that don't
  cost $60.00 that I'd rather buy than printer ink...

0040645733489_LG

vera

Coach Dannie Flats  Adorable, right?

I'm not going to go on.  I could, but I'm not because there is an endless list of things I'd rather buy than printer ink.

I didn't buy any of that.  And I didn't buy ink either.  See, when I bought my desk top it came with a free printer and even though I was all, I have one already...They were all, tough, it comes with a printer.  So I was like, whatever. I'll store it with all the other stuff I own in the world and don't need.

And it sat in a closet until yesterday afternoon when I reached maximum ink price overload and decided if I had to buy just. one. more. ink. cartridge. for that thing I was going to lose my mind and my lunch. I put that spanking new puppy (and it's new ink) on top of my empty ink sucker and fired it up.

001

Yes, I changed my printer so I wouldn't have to buy any ink. And yes, I know I'm only delaying the inevitable but with the cost of ink I think buying new printers might actually be cheaper than buying ink.  At least that's the theory I'm going with for now.

Mom Mayhem says: 4/29/10, 10:12 AM

Ugh -I hate when we have to get new printer ink too- Although now we have a printer that uses cheaper ink! And I think that you switching printers is a smart way to go about it! Maybe that one will use cheaper ink ??

The Crazy Suburban Mom 4/29/10, 10:14 AM

Mom Mayhem - which one uses cheaper ink?

Babes Mami 4/29/10, 11:27 AM

I too use this approach to ink buying. Our is 'only' $40ish for a combo pack but come on! I only need to print 2 pages for this contract I had to sign and it gave me one and refused no matter what I did to give me the other. The Husband printed it at work so suck on that printer! But I suppose we will have to get ink since I don't have a back up printer to switch too. I would tough lol

Maureen 4/29/10, 12:21 PM

I've done that too! What exactly is the deal with $60 for ink??? It's a complete crock! They probably cost less than $1 to manufacture. Plus with the cartridge return programs all they have to do is fill them with maybe an ounce of ink!

dddiva 4/29/10, 2:57 PM

LOL I've done that! More than once. ;)

ladyjanewriter 4/29/10, 4:11 PM

Oh, heck YEAH I would so do that!

And sweet jeebus. That turkey is like my Dream Turkey!!! Want.

ladyjanewriter 4/29/10, 4:14 PM

OH MY GAWD. IT'S A TURDUCKEN.

It takes it to that point where I'm impressed, salivating, yet slightly ill and disgusted with myself.

Autumn Rain Creations 4/29/10, 10:03 PM

oh I feel your pain! I can't stand having to buy ink yet alone both at the same time.

Ruth 4/29/10, 11:04 PM

I get ink refills from www.printpal.com and just reuse the cartridges. Less than $10 for a refill kit worth up to 4 cartridges instead of $35 for one stinking cartridge...I think that's pretty good! The manufacturers tell you doing that will invalidate the warranty, but I figure I got my printer secondhand on eBay so it's probably out of warranty anyway. The cartridges do clog sometimes but I just run them under hot water for a few minutes and that usually fixes them.

Janiss 4/30/10, 1:18 AM

You mean you didn't buy the shoes with the money you saved by switching printers?

John | Daily Photo 4/30/10, 2:04 AM

I hate buying ink. Why do the Cyan / Magenta / Yellow always run out even though I only print in black and white? :-(

VanillaSeven 4/30/10, 6:11 AM

Please buy color printer with separate color cartridge next time.
On second thought, I would rather buy the chicken :)

OLLIE MCKAY'S ~ A Chic Boutique 4/30/10, 10:08 AM

Too funny!! LOL!! My hubby keeps reminding me that Our printer is still flashing the "low on ink" warning! I better get on it soon, b/c I don't have an extra printer in the closet!! :))