The Crazy Suburban Mom: Painting vintage furniture? How exactly do you do that?

Hobonichi Cousin Planner in my Filofax

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Painting vintage furniture? How exactly do you do that?

So for Vintage Thingies Thursday I have this banging migraine; a coincidence really.  It's  not from VTT but a function of the spring cleaning I've been climbing out from under... and I've done a ventigigajillion posts over the last week or so if you want to see all the bone-chilling details.  Just scroll back there's no need for links...

I was hoping all you Vintage Thingiers could help me with something.  I've seen a lot of great furniture refinishing posts - and by great I mean easy - over these Thursdays and I always say, Wow! but whoa so not me.

But as I've been clearing the clutter off my flat surfaces things like this emerge...

009

And I want to paint it.

Parts of it are really lovely.

006

Parts, a lovely mess...

005

Parts just a mess...

008

I think you get where I'm going...

004

Which is...  Help!

How do I paint this?

I've seen people use spray paint and I've seen acrylic primer, paint and than sealer...  Is there anything else?  And do you just have at it or is there something else I should be doing?

I've done a lot of painting projects but have never  tried painting furniture before.  Does anyone have any thoughts they can shoot my way?

You can comment, email me, or just have a hearty laugh at my expense.  I will understand.   I sort of feel that way myself.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

nita 4/1/10, 8:13 AM

You'll want to sand it so it has grab, the prime, then paint, then apply a topcoat. I wouldn't recommend spray paint for a big project, but that's just me.

Vonlipi 4/1/10, 8:23 AM

Definitely sanding! And I would choose a matte finish on the paint because the dust just sticks on it. A professionnal might use spray but with special equipment. So don't try that....it flies everywhere! Do you want painted bushes?

Mick 4/1/10, 9:32 AM

Hit the bad spots with some light grit sand paper,(just so they are smooth) you could primer first,or just paint.... Id also suggest some flat or gloss clear sealer to apply after the paint dries (Id let it dry a week so you dont get any finger prints) then let that dry for 3 or 4 days and you are good!

Babes Mami 4/1/10, 10:32 AM

Clean it first, sand it lightly so that it's a bit rough and the gouges are smoothish. Wipe it down well with a tack cloth to get off all the dust. If there are any big dents, scratches, etc fill them with wood putty. Then you top coat, paint with a small roller and then seal.

I wouldn't recommend spray paint if your a beginner. I've been using spray paint for several years...ammend ATTEMPTING to use it. I mess it up EVERY time. It's really not as easy as they make it seem for some of us lol.

Good luck!

P. 4/1/10, 10:44 AM

I've only done a couple very small furniture makeovers, but I agree with sanding, tack cloth, priming, then brush or roller painting. That's a nice piece. Enjoy the process!

The Crazy Suburban Mom 4/1/10, 11:30 AM

Glad I asked - everyone is saying, NO SPRAY PAINT! loud and clear ... Im still listening and taking all this in.

Maureen 4/1/10, 1:11 PM

Go for it! It's a nice piece of furniture. What color are you thinking?

CC 4/1/10, 1:47 PM

I wish I could help.. I have antiqued a bedroom set "back in the day",but I had a kit to help me.. it worked and was beautiful. This is such a pretty piece that you want to paint..I hope your get lots of answers and help..and that it turns out beautifully.
Happy VTT..have a lovely weekend.

Coloradolady 4/1/10, 3:23 PM

Looks like you got great advice. This will be lovely painted and you will really enjoy it! be sure to let us see the end results. Have a great VTT!

LV 4/1/10, 4:33 PM

I am glad other bloggers gave you some good formation as I have no clue. It will be very nice when you finish it out.

Tara Beaulieu 4/1/10, 7:25 PM

Yes, yes, yes, sand it! And hey, while you're thinking paint, why not pick an fun color like the turquoise you were contemplating in the kitchen the other day? This would be a real "pop" piece in your room with a fab color on it! :)

Michelle 4/1/10, 7:59 PM

I have no words of advice, except to say this lovely piece of furniture will be awesome once you refinish it. Hopefully, someone can give you a good method.

J Sedai 4/1/10, 8:00 PM

not sure how you feel about crackle finishes but it's good for first time painting furniture projects (hides a lot of mistakes) and you can get a fun POP of color with out fully committing to a big piece of BAM in a room! fun color first, crackle medium, then a more subtle color on top the crackle lines become the POP, just food for thought. (also then you get 2 colors instead of one!) On and extra tangent while you're sanding n stuff why not re-stain and seal instead of paint? it's a little more labor intensive but will keep it more original feeling? ether way looks like you're missing some hardware and will need to fill in the old holes with putty and sand and then drill some new holes for new hardware (FUN!!) shiny stuff is always fun for me!! (it's like jewelry for your room!) have fun (I have my own coffee table that I "inherited" from a house guest in a closet to refinish one day)

Cherie 4/2/10, 9:46 AM

No help from me as I'd leave the timber finish - good luck with the painting. I'll be playing along at VTT starting next week ... see you then ;)

The Crazy Suburban Mom 4/2/10, 7:46 PM

Tara - too funny on the turquoise - I thought about that an hour before you posted this and J, I was thinking it needed some new jewelry too...and looks like every is saying -NO SPRAY PAINT! hear you all, loud and clear