The Crazy Suburban Mom: The manly tree

Hobonichi Cousin Planner in my Filofax

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The manly tree

I know, I know... I already posted today but I didn't post yesterday and it throws me off and all.  I have this question and is anyone good at tree identification?

This tree sits on the hill up at the end of my yard.

004

When we moved here in '96 it was a wee little thing and we were all, What's that?  And the builder was all, It's a weed it'll die when the ground cover chokes it out.  But really it wasn't so wee and little that they could just pull it out.

It would have taken some effort to get rid of the weed-tree and we were the last house on the last block of the development to be sold; when we bought the place it meant they were done.   You could hear corks popping all over the place and trucks screeching wheelies outta here.  They were in no mood to deal with one more thing for the road.

Anyway the weed-tree thrived and a few years later we sorta realized that's no weed that's a dang tree.  But what kind?  Since '96 the thing grew so much it must be 40 feet 75 inches.  Okay, not that big but it's really big.  And it's got this double trunk thing.  A study one.

008

I love that it holds all my wind chimes.

007

Cause I have a few.

006

Maybe an excessive amount...

005

But..

I'm writing because does anyone know what kind of tree this is?  It doesn't get leaves till like late in the spring and so most of the year it looks like this here...
012

I call it the scrotum tree.

012

Just sayin'...

So I'm asking is anyone out there a whiz at botany cause I almost blurted out, Don't get too close to the scrotum tree 'cause there probably lots of doody under it, at my party.

And really that sentence is wrong on so many levels I cringe even now.

*And I hope I don't have to say that's dog doody I'm referring to but if I do... sometimes Ginger misses the doody rug under the dining room table and actually hits the out doors.*

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Maureen 4/7/10, 11:52 AM

Hahaha! Crack.me.up! Scrotum tree! You really are a crazy woman!

P.S. I don't know what type of tree it is - maybe someone else can help you. If not, cut off a piece and bring it to a nursery.

Jingle 4/7/10, 12:33 PM

I don't know what kind of tree that is, but I love that you covered in in chimes! I bet that sounds awesome!

CollectIn Texas Gal 4/7/10, 12:46 PM

I'm going to 'ChimeRightIn' and say it's a ChimaBerry Tree! We have them in Texas, too...Butt the Doody takes off in the Wind! BTW...You're way ahead of me on the SpringCleanin'...I won't tell Ginger about sweepin doody under the dining room rug! Thanks for stopping by CollectInTexas Gal...Your blog keeps me in stitches!!!

Lidian 4/7/10, 1:28 PM

We had a weed tree that had two trunks and grew from a twig to a huge thing pushing over the back fence (and boy did it cost a lot to get rid of it, which we had to, not that I really wanted to but it was dangerous) - but it did not bear little tree scrota (?) but just ordinary leaves. It was a Manitoba maple, for what it's worth. I guess that isn't what you have, though.

And now, back to the people who actually know about gardening!

Vonlipi 4/7/10, 3:10 PM

I won't be able to help you out either...I had never seen a SCROTUM tree before as a matter of fact I laughed soooo hard when I read your post that I nearly sprayed chili all over my laptop. What are those balls anyways? Seed pods? I would call it a doody tree 'coz it looks like doody or the cojones tree, well you know!

Grace 4/7/10, 4:37 PM

We always called it a horse chestnut tree - those seed pods were most excellent for throwing - hit somebody right and you could do some small damage...

ladyjanewriter 4/7/10, 6:23 PM

Horse Chestnuts! Do the squirrels love the inner seed in the seed pod? The seed is kind of a russet-red brown, and if you smell the chestnut, it smells a little like beer.

Don't eat them, not safe for humans.

Kristen 4/7/10, 7:51 PM

wish I could help you out - just found you on MBC - love your style of writing, I will be back

natalee 4/7/10, 8:43 PM

LOL!!!! that made me smile

Lin 4/7/10, 9:44 PM

I don't know what the heck the real name is, but I like the name you gave it instead. :) It made me chuckle today.

Tara Beaulieu 4/8/10, 6:23 PM

I second the vote for horse chestnut tree, just cuz you're up here in the east closer to me than to Texas and we have them here... Scrotum tree is better, go with that. ;)