The Crazy Suburban Mom: I hear what you're saying (and what you're saying is bacon)

Friday, March 12, 2010

I hear what you're saying (and what you're saying is bacon)

Well, sausagy bits too but lots and lots of bacon.  The recipe ideas are great can you um, keep them coming?

I would really love to cook for my kid's party described in the previous post and by the way this whole thing is a link to said post   and I think it might even be easier and cheaper than ordering sandwiches.  I'm still not sure. You ladies came up with some fab-u ideas yesterday!

And I even think many of them sound freezeaheadable you know?  When Miss Steeped insanity wrote me and said quiche, I smacked my forehead and had an Aha! moment because yeah, quiche is freezeaheadable and you can have all kinds of fillings AND you can make it 'lite' for those of us boring souls that prefer it not to be luscious.

Okay well, no one prefers it unluscious but for those of us who don't want to be laying down to zip our jeans for a week after eating a pound of Swiss cheese it's nice to have an alternative (even if we eat the good one anyway).

And Sandy suggested Pioneer Woman's Bacon wrapped appetizers    which look crazy easy (and max bacony) and can be frozen.

Vonlipi's bacon wrapped sausages sound pure evil - I mean delicious.  I have a bracelet for you by the way. Well, I had the bracelet for you before you said sausage and bacon in the same sentence but your ultimate meat bite didn't hurt.

Amy aka The Mom suggested olives and feta cheese and I don't know if she knew that half of the weight I have to lose is probably of olive and cheesey origin so....  I'm all in with that suggestion. Loving it!

Tara suggested mozzarella and tomato salad and Oh baby Oh baby!  I love that and make that all. the. time.  What a great salad that would be!  Is.

@eloh suggested little sausages in barbecue sauce in a crock pot and first I would love this and second so would my kid and third how easy would this be at a party! And oh, forth so glad to see you @eloh! and I haven't forgotten the buttons for  you, they are boxed up and ready to go.

Heidi suggested anything wrapped in bacon.  You are a brilliant and I'm with you.  I'm thinking I need more, not less bacon.  I do have a few vegetarians coming but I hear they like bacon even more...  And I can't get that maraschino liquor out of my head by the way, you've ruined me.

J Sedai suggested her cheesy meatballs which I already want to make!  And I'm sure she thinks I should bake a cake because just look what she made... It's right here.  I mean, that is not going to happen but maybe she can ship one Fed Ex to me.  What do you think, J?

And Lin promised me a recipe when her cat gets off her lap.  I'm still waiting, Lin.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Vonlipi 3/12/10, 8:08 AM

Oh goody! Bracelet! Cool! Bacon! Cool! I love bracelets!

There's the layered mexican dip that is always a hit and is vegeterian (but not vegan). I don't have the recipe but I bet you could find it on the web...

I didn't forget my promise of weight goal/pink pyrex goodness.I'm a bit low on pink Pyrex but as soon as I get some more it will be on it's way.

mama-face 3/12/10, 8:48 AM

I go straight to Costco...or ask people to bring something. Needless to say I don't have a lot of formal parties.

I am fascinated with your son's apprenticeship...

Clueless 3/12/10, 10:20 AM

On the crockpot sausages, I use premade, small meatballs frozen or thawed and you can use meatless ones or whatever you want.

I like finger jello. You eat it with your hands and it can stay out and doesn't melt in your hands or mouth. You can mix and match colors and cut them into fun shapes. Depending on the age, you do need to be careful as choking as with hotdogs can be a problem, but jello melts...hot dogs, hopefully don't...ewww what a thought. This is a link to my recipe

BTW, Clueless and SomethingJust are both me...but very different sides as you probably figured out. Try entering my caption contests for free Entrecards...now, I sound like on of those comments I delete because I'm promoting my own sites which isn't what I am doing...ramble, ramble, ramble.

Lin 3/12/10, 3:33 PM

Okay, he's gone, but now I can't feel my legs because he's like 47 pounds (or something like that) and he makes your legs go numb when he sits on you for any amount of time. So, I hope you appreciate me doing a G.I. Joe army crawl over to the cabinet where I keep my recipes.

Texas Caviar:
1 can black beans drained
1 can Mexicorn NOT drained
2 chopped avocados
2 med. chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup red onion diced
1/2 cup green onion diced

Make 1 pkg Good Seasons Italian dressing mix according to directions (I think that requires 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup oil)

Mix it all together, but add the dressing just minutes before your company arrives (it can get soggy) and serve with Tostidos (I like those little ones shaped like bowls).

Folks LOVE this stuff! And it is super easy to make.

The Mom (aka Amy) 3/12/10, 4:58 PM

Just as an addition to my previous comment. For the oven dried tomatoes you can use olive oil cooking spray instead of olive oil and they turn out just as well.

J Sedai 3/12/10, 9:35 PM

we also like bacon wrapped asparagus or long green beans, just steam them a lil (in the microwave) then wrap 3ish of them in a piece of bacon and broil, it's pretty and YUM (also bacon makes veggies TOTALLY edible to ANY guy) OOO, MINI QUICHE!! do them in a cup cake pan and it's FINGER food! (still freeze able, and good for quick single serve lunch if there are left overs) I'm actually making this for supper one day this week so I'll post pics if you like. and I'd gladly mail you a cake if I thought it'd get there in one piece! LOL but prolly not one with frilly flowers, I'd prolly do it in the shape of a guitar or something (you know, in theme) but thanks for the pimping! I'm trying to rack my brain for desserts that are simple for ya (not sure how big of a baker you are).

Toronto Yardsaler 3/12/10, 11:25 PM

I have the feeling I've said this to you before, but - Best Blog Post Title Ever!
You rock!
Erin
Mmmmm bacon.

ladyjanewriter 3/13/10, 7:20 AM

I know JSedai also has a recipe for strawberry pretzel "fluff" that seems pretty amazing. - Have you posted that one, J???

It's basically a trifle, but with crushed pretzels.

ladyjanewriter 3/13/10, 7:24 AM

Yes! She did! This one uses ritz crackers:

J Sedai 3/13/10, 8:05 AM

I say you can use pretzels in it! that pic does it no justice tho, it's really pretty! see, now I wish I knew what kind of a cook you were cause then I could post things just for you, or you know had your phone # and then could thumb thru my personal recipe's for you and let you pick. wow that sounded creepy. sorry LOL I meant it in a nice and helpful way. I'm just at a loss as to what to post on my blog w/o actually posting EVERYTHING in my recipe book. like, what kind of desserts do you like? that'll give me a starting point.

J Sedai 3/14/10, 7:00 PM

just so you know, it's up, I made an entire party post just for you!!