The Crazy Suburban Mom: Bins bad. Shelving good.

Hobonichi Cousin Planner in my Filofax

Monday, March 22, 2010

Bins bad. Shelving good.

I can't solve my organizing problems because I've been looking for love in all the wrong places.

Wait, that's not right.

Hang on a sec.

Where was I going with that?

Oh, right; I've been looking for information from people who are naturally organized. And I think they don't get me. What I read assumes I don't know what to do with the junk I got, just a itty-bitty bit.  Or assumes I'm a hoarder.   I am neither.  I just have more (but not a reality TV shows worth-a more) than my house can fit comfortably and very few things I own have 'a home'; a place where I always know they will be and they can live happily ever after. The end.

All weekend I was finding stuff I didn't know I had and where in the world did this stuff come from and why do I have nine of them in three different brightly colored bins in the fifth place? You may think containers are good, that they store stuff that they make your house look neat and to that I say, HA!

Let me extrapolate.  Every time I endeavored to organize the first thing I do is  go buy bins, containers, boxes... Things with lids.  Wrong.  The wrongness pains me now.

Bins bad. Shelving good.   I used to think of bins as soft baby bunnies dusted with magical pink glitter but they aren't.  Bins are evil. Bins are Dr. Evil.  Bins look like soft baby bunnies dusted with magical pink glitter because they mean to lull you into a false sense of security.  But one day your house is gonna explode in a mess of unused school supplies, crochet projects, potpourri, and evil glittery day-glo bunny bits and than, my friend, you've got some grisly awful on your hands, believe me.  I just lived that scenario over the weekend.   It was a mighty frightful beast.

Actually that was a seriously disturbing visual.  I should have stopped at...

Bins bad.  Shelving good.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Aasta Karlsen 3/22/10, 10:49 AM

Hmm... I've been reading about your organizing/decluttering/bunnybinexplotions/guitaroverflow lately. (Love it btw! I've got almost the same thing going on at my place)

I found my solution for my homes situation and state of total mess at a lovely website: http://www.flylady.org

15 mins and small easy routines to getting stuff together. Just what I needed.

And yeah you are right, most organizing info is made by those who are naturally organized. But not Flylady! She has a totally different approach, much more in tune with my natural talent for maintaining a mess. Her system of 15 minutes (just read up on that!) is bliss!

Vintage Christine 3/22/10, 12:09 PM

15 minutes? NO WAY! I'm going to go visit this website and tell her she needs to see MY house but she'll have a nervous breakdown and start babbling, "15 minutes? Hah! 15 years? Hah! 15 centuries? Maybe." And your idea of shelving assumes that there's wall space upon which to hang said shelves. HAH!

Tina-cious.com 3/22/10, 12:39 PM

I have the same damn problem.

I'm not a "hoarder" per say but I definitely keep shit longer than I should.

freecycle.org has helped me get rid of some but I definitely don't have a place for everything.

I covet those that do.

thasnifty 3/22/10, 2:42 PM

freecyle is fabulous, but in my neighborhood it seems it is chock full of no-shows and that makes me batty. The thrift store is where I take my stuff. As far as flylady goes, it is fantastic, but she hits me with too much email and well like all things you just have to do it. I might have to go back on fly lady. :)

PS Bins are just black holes in my house.

Lidian 3/22/10, 3:20 PM

I need to declutter one of these days! And you are so right, bins just - well, I think they breed down in the basement, around here they seem to. And mismatched shoes live in them.

Maureen 3/22/10, 5:29 PM

Shelves are good! Bins are good for wet basements though. This I found out the hard way.

Richard @ The Bewildered Brit 3/22/10, 9:04 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with you: bins are bad!

@eloh 3/22/10, 9:21 PM

I'm listening....(so are all my bins).

Berita Sepak Bola 3/23/10, 3:57 AM

I used to think of bins as soft baby bunnies dusted with magical pink glitter.

J Sedai 3/23/10, 4:43 AM

I live in my mess, till I'm done making/using it then have to put it away, properly, and tidily. SO there's this odd Ebb and FLow of pig sty and OCD clean in my house. like my kitchen when I cook, while cooking, MESS, then I clean it, and it's SPARKLY, or when I sew, while sewing, it's STUFF EVERYWHERE, but inbetween projects it just looks like an unused craft room. I like bins, but they either have to be clear, lidless or WELL LABLED, mostly cause shelving would be too hard to move around with us. I have fantasies of a wall of "cubbies" (doorless cabinetry) for when I grow up.

keep up the good work! pretty soon you'll have it so under control you'll want to go shopping!!