The Crazy Suburban Mom: A lot like being in the dressing room with the curtain open...

Hobonichi Cousin Planner in my Filofax

Friday, February 19, 2010

A lot like being in the dressing room with the curtain open...

I guess everyone noticed I changed up my blog yesterday.   I've been thinking about it for quite sometime because I visit a lot of blogs and they all look so chic while mine looked shabby... But not chic.  Lately, I'd made some minor changes through blogger but they were all pretty meh, or worse.

I started looking around for free templates because I only had about twelve bucks in my checking account.  No really, twelve.  And twelve doesn't buy a really spectacular web design or hosting.  So, I looked around to see what twelve would buy me and much like when I bought my first car, I was disappointed.   My father referred to my first car, a Le Car, as 25 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag (A direct quote people - you know I don't normally four-letter it here but it was totally necessary to the story) until it was totaled in a seven mile an hour collision.

I didn't want my blog to look like the web version of the Le Car...  i.e. 25 pounds of crappy html in a 5 pound blog so I kept looking around and finally found Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates.   And yeah, they really are.

Many are free and a couple are just a few bucks, like under twelve!  All are great.  Mine was $5.  I loaded mine but Lena will do that too for an added amount depending on what you need.   Many are alterable to some extent - I've changed a lot around.  And I was doing this all yesterday in front of everyone ...  and it felt like going into a fitting room and changing my clothes with the curtain open.

I was really afraid that I would just lose the blog as in *poof* one second it's there and the next, it's just gone.

But nope, it's still here!

The last thing I added was the header I made....

VINTAGE 50'S CANNONSBURG POTTERY TEMPORAMA

It's from a Cannonsburg Temporama Mug (that I sold).

I'm not entirely sure about the header or the design.  It will take some getting used too, I guess.  But at least I don't feel like I look shabby anymore - I mean my blog.  My blog doesn't look shabby anymore.

Oh! PS - I had to reload the sidebar things and I lost some of the blogs on my blog roll. If I didn't put yours back on please email me!  It was an oversight, not intentional.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Grampy 2/19/10, 7:20 AM

Your blog is looking good. I am messing with mine all the time. Kind of scary.

Vonlipi 2/19/10, 7:45 AM

I'll be totally honest....but I have trouble reading the white letlers on the beige background :(

The Crazy Suburban Mom 2/19/10, 7:52 AM

I just changed it - I don't disagree with you and was thinking about doing that. After my eye surgery I don't see all that well, still. I have to wear glasses to blog and didn't know if it was just me so I'm glad you said that. I'm also considering changing some of the blues on the left side - the titles on the blog roll. Although I like having that color there and really, people just need the blog titles more so I may leave that.

Jingle 2/19/10, 9:00 AM

It's hard to do this stuff on a budget! I have done some stuff to mine and I am lucky to have a couple of awesome friends who have helped with some future improvements. I have a button ready, but I need to figure out how to post the code to share it and I haven't got there yet, so it's not up. I need to do that, though, cause a friend made it for me and I don't want her to think I don't like it! It's wicked cute!

Lin 2/19/10, 9:08 AM

Oh, I think it is a lovely re-hab. I think you got some feng shui is working too.

Vonlipi 2/19/10, 9:53 AM

Thank you for changing the font's color.It's so much easier to read! Cheers!

Anonymous,  2/19/10, 10:00 AM

I LOVE it. I liked getting a nice surprise yesterday and I like the header too.

The Crazy Suburban Mom 2/19/10, 10:23 AM

Jingle - darned budgets!

Lin - feng shui really? thats great! Hows the hobbster????

Vonlipi - yeah, I agree... I wasn't sure about light on dark - it wasnt what I planned. Still don't know about the gold...anyhoo...

Anon - hmmm.... now I have to guess.

CastoCreations 2/19/10, 11:15 AM

Budget? :) We don't need no stinkin' budget! lol I've got a bit more than 12, but not much!

I like the black text on the (chartruese?) tannish color background. And it loaded very quickly for me too.

Lidian 2/19/10, 12:07 PM

I like it a lot! And that is a great header, too :)

Maureen 2/19/10, 12:23 PM

The font is much better!

@eloh 2/19/10, 12:38 PM

I like it, I like it a lot. Your "edges" remind me of 1860's retro material I have in a quilt.

Letherton 2/19/10, 12:43 PM

Thanks for stopping into my blog...hope you became a follower...I like the look of your blog :)

green me 2/19/10, 12:58 PM

I enjoyed your post and very informative. come on my blog I hope you Find information effectively. thanks

Robyn Jones 2/19/10, 3:02 PM

I've never seen it before, but i like it...I will have check out that template site...I just re-did mine a while ago...Lots of work...especially the header...

Sheila Sultani 2/19/10, 5:23 PM

I love your new look - very sheik. I think your title is so great no one even noticed what your template looked like before.

J Sedai 2/19/10, 7:16 PM

oo fancy, I like all the colors, and the new header is pretty, cleaner looking, and the side boarders are rather retro fabric chic! I'm sure in time I'll get bored with the way my blog looks and need a redo, glad to see I'm not the only one who gets bored and likes to freshen things up every now and then!

Tara Beaulieu 2/19/10, 8:05 PM

Ha, I didn't notice yesterday but I did notice your new header tonight- immediately- cuz I LOVE that dish pattern and crave a s&p shaker set and sugar and creamer set in it LOL. And you do know how fab I think aqua is, so needless to say I simply adore your background pattern. Great looking blog!

Tara Beaulieu 2/19/10, 8:20 PM

oooh I just browsed her site and am thinking I'm going to buy a template soon! Maybe to celebrate my 100th post. Thanks for the link! :)

The Crazy Suburban Mom 2/19/10, 8:22 PM

Tara - They are really nice aren't they? And really LOTS of them are free. More are free than not...

TakingChancesLovingLife 2/20/10, 7:18 AM

I love ur layout - wish I could figure that out! I follow you now!

Monique@Mommyhood Exposed 2/20/10, 10:34 AM

I also re-did my website design. I get antsy and bored with the same layout/header after a few months, so I like to change things up. Your website looks great! I really like the background. Have a great weekend!

I am Harriet 2/20/10, 12:44 PM

Hi Tracy.
Duh- I just realized this is your site.
It looks nice.
Have fun!

Karla @ Ramblin' Roads 2/21/10, 12:23 PM

It looks great! You did good!

heidi 2/22/10, 2:01 PM

it is just swell! love it!