The Crazy Suburban Mom: Ker-flunk-flunk-cough-phugh-phugh-phugh and than it died

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Ker-flunk-flunk-cough-phugh-phugh-phugh and than it died

kay, so you know that noise a car makes when you shut it off but there's something wrong so it doesn't shut? And you're just sitting there with the key in your hand  and you know that cause you're looking at it and you have to look at it because the car's still making noise and you can't understand what's going on because you have the key and instead of silence you hear a ker-flunk-flunk-cough-phugh-phugh-phugh...type thing?

I can't remember what that means is wrong but my fridge had been doing that for quite a while.  Not so much during the day but at night when the house is quiet and everyone was trying to sleep.

fridge
I knew I needed a new fridge and after ignoring it for over a year (Happy Birthday to me! Thank you, Dad) yesterday was the day.  Fridge procurement isn't all that interesting.  Not like buying, oh shoes, for example... But I took some droolicious photo's in the store of fridges (cell phone pictures so they aren't even so hot) that I did want to share.   I didn't get any of the drooly ones because  I have very little room for a fridge.  Basically, enough room for a 21 cubic foot fridge.  Period.  Which is actually a bit bigger than I had but it's not big by anyone's standards and there's no room for way cool fridge fa-la-la like this...

electolux fridge

I mean, what the heck is that stuff?

That way cool panel and readout falls under the category of I dunno what it is (I'm guessing weather) and the secondary category of Oh! Yeah! I want that!  Unfortunately, it was also huge.  I mean, HUGE.

electolux fridge

Huge.

No other real word for it. I think four of the fridge's I got would fit inside this one.  Love the floor though.

One of the nice things about that store is the scratch and dent section in the basement.  Didn't end up getting one because they all had automatic ice-makers, which I would totally love especially in the door - OMG that is something I've wanted forever because I have this thing for crushed ice - but when you are dealing with such a small fridge the ice maker takes up a quarter of the room in the freezer.

But will you look at what they did have downstairs...

vintage appliances

This corner with vintage appliances

vintage stove?

Not for sale just for drooling

vintage magtag washer

I think that's a really old Maytag washer...

vintage maytag washer

Totally love the colors..

vintage GE fridge

That's the top of something in the first picture, a fridge

I've had these posted on my Flickr page for a few days and someone said they were from the 1920's and 1930's which sounded right to me.  I bet they still work, too.  Unlike the one that I just replaced from the 90's.  Come to think of it the (pink) one my mom had worked until she replaced it in the 80's.  Seems the newer they are the shorter the life-span.
Which kind of scares me being that I just got myself a brand spanking new 21st century model.

I got my new one yesterday.  The good news is it was really cold outside so the food could sit there waiting.  And Ginger thought she was in heaven when she went out to pee.  She walked out like it was any normal pee-pee run only to find the streets were paved with corned beef. Frankly, I think she's had dreams like that.The bad news was do you know how hard it was to get ALL the cold food you have including like skatey-eight little bottles outside in half an hour?

I'd told them to call me half an hour before they got there so I could get the food outside so I'm running like a fool to my porch with tiny little bottles of capers and mango jelly (what the heck, who eat's mango jelly and where did that come from anyway?), five mustards (another mystery), giant jars of pickles with A pickle....  just the one pickle.   Um, when was the last time I went through that ker-phlunking thing anyway?

But it's (A whirlpool)  in, and cold, and best of all, silent.

Visit Colorado Lady for Vintage Thingies Thursday

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Lin 2/24/10, 7:59 AM

It's a sad day when we are excited about new appliances. Sigh. But alas, we are, and I wish you and New Refrigerator many years of togetherness. Just don't let that mango jelly get between you two--ever.

J Sedai 2/24/10, 8:01 AM

ok so Manjo jelly is good for LOTS of things, but I'll just give you my favorite and simplest thing. Salad dressing! Combine it with some horseraddish mustard (there's a Annies brand that I like a lot, but any mustard with horseraddish will do) in equal parts, and then equal parts of EVOO and Vinegar (I just use white, cause there's enough flavor happening everywhere else here) so for one LARGE salad you need 1Tbs each of mustard/jelly and 1tsp each oil/vinegar, shake/stir enjoy! it's kind of sweet and spicy all at the same time, YUM.

also my "stunt" mom has one of those stainless double door side by side units in her house (without the fa la la tho) and I'm SO jealous of all that S P A C E!

The Crazy Suburban Mom 2/24/10, 8:09 AM

Lin, you said it sister.

J - you're never going to belive this but one of my 5 mustards IS horseradish! So yahoo! Now I have something to do with that...and that jar of mustard too! My dad has a big stainless monster too... I'm jealous of the room he has but if given the choice wouldnt pick stainless... Id love a retro color! Plus his leaks up a storm. some clogged tiny tube somewhere - seems you could have a big tube on a fridge that size, I mean...really!

J Sedai 2/24/10, 8:22 AM

I'm just jealous of the space, like if I had one I'd be painting that sucker! or like getting a GIANT magnets made for it so that I could swap out the fronts seasonally! but I have to wait till I grow up and have a house of my own. and YAY I love using random condiments (I acquire them seasonally when people move away, being in the military is useful when you need ketchup and mango jelly)

MinnieRunner 2/24/10, 9:07 AM

Lovely vintages.

I am Harriet 2/24/10, 10:03 AM

The people I know with the nicest refrigerators eat out every night. Go figure.

I need to replace mine too.

Lynette 2/24/10, 10:13 AM

I want that stove! It is so perfect. Why did you not smuggle it out....cough cough...purchase it for us?
Glad that your not hearing those gurgling sounds anymore with the fridge. And that you have a new appliance to baby.

Think we could repaint it pink?

Vonlipi 2/24/10, 10:31 AM

I love those old appliances! In my first apt I had a turquoise stove that wasn't grounded, so if I touched it with wet hands I got a big ol' electric shock! That was a really bad place... mice,noisy neighbors,cockroaches...you name it it had it!

Long life to your new fridge! Live long and prosper! YAY!

p.s: I get excited about every little thing and it's the best!

centralillinoisian 2/24/10, 11:47 AM

I have a really small fridge too. I find that it is easier to keep it cleaned out when there's not 500 cubic feet in it. My sister has a huge fridge and there is always some unknown items swimming around in that vast space.

Maureen 2/24/10, 11:50 AM

Congrats!

Mick 2/24/10, 12:01 PM

Yay for the new fridge! and WOW! all those old appliances are great! Last July I was ahving an adverage weekend at the Casablanca and when I woke up saturday morning there was a 1935 Frigidare in my front yard with a note taped to it "For the Drive-In Kid" I was thrilled! (I mean its one of the thigns you secretly ALWAYS have wanted yet have no idea what to do with! Well you can also call me curious George, because this fridge still had its eletrical cord on it, I got an exstension cord, plugged the fridge in and DAMN if it didnt start right up and the freezer got cold with in an hour!

mama-face 2/24/10, 12:32 PM

Lovelovelove the vintage appliances. The look; not the technology. Give me the latest appliance in gizmos and gadgets. :)

Brandy 2/24/10, 2:17 PM

That's exciting! My fridge was making that same noise and I ended up getting lucky and getting a really nice Fridge for free from Freecycle. A couple who had money got a new one and had retired this one, we got lucky!

Those are some OLD looking appliances for sure!

Baby Sweetness 2/24/10, 2:52 PM

Had to stop back by on comment challenge!

Oh man... I'd love a new fridge. We recently bought a house and have a home warranty and we're trying to think of ways to ... oops, did that thing just break the fridge? That's such a... oh damn, it's still working.

Miri 2/25/10, 7:52 AM

I love your appliance store! I love that they appreciate vintage appliances and display them (even if it is in the basement!)That one refrigerator looks like a very early one-with the motor mounted on top of what was really an icebox.Great to see!

Enjoy your new fridge!

Feeling Fit With Dana 2/25/10, 7:57 AM

Congrats on the new fridge, you'll probably sleep a little better now.... I can just picture you running around putting the food outside. I cleaned out my fridge last month (how often are you supposed to do that anyway?) and I had several jars of mustard too. Must be a requirement. Loved the photos of all the old appliances.

Postcardy 2/25/10, 9:13 AM

Those vintage appliances are cute, but I wouldn't want to use one. In my first apartment there was a gas refrigerator with a very tiny frozen food compartment.

Sandra Rose Hughes 2/25/10, 9:53 AM

I have heard that the Maytag ring and wash washers are supposed to be the best thing for economy. They apparently don't go bad for about 60 years, and they use very little electricity. My husband and I are hoping to get one so that we can stay off the grid.

Tammy 2/25/10, 10:35 AM

The Maytag wringer washer brings back memories. My folks were dirt poor farmers. The only running water we had was when someone ran to the well with two pails to get it. I remember when we got electricity. Shortly after that the laundry got promoted from the tub and washboard to a fancy wringer washer. We still had to haul water on laundry day and heat it up on the wood stove. But that wringer washer was a beauty. It would agitate in two gears. The wringer flatten your clothes between its two rollers wringing the water out into a dipper slide back into the tub beneath. Just make sure to keep your hair and fingers clear. We also had a high efficiency clothes dryer, the outdoor clothesline. Between the wringer washer and the sun bleach on the line mum's whites were always white and smelled outdoor fresh!

Manang Kim 2/25/10, 12:32 PM

Oh wow those are so priceless now a days. I just wonder how appliances evolve. Now some of them are putting back the old design ^_^. Which is really nice.

VTT-Old Religious Memento

Coloradolady 2/25/10, 5:35 PM

I would rather have vintage than new...but a new fridge is really nice!!! Happy VTT, glad you took pics of these treasures!

Pink Roses and Teacups 2/25/10, 5:53 PM

Thanks for the great memories. I remember the wringer machines. I used to help my grandma do the laundry. Love the vintage stove too!

Debbie

bowerbirdz 2/25/10, 6:11 PM

Those vintage appliances are fabulous! They probably cost more than the modern ones, as collectors items anyway.

misguidedmommy 2/25/10, 7:14 PM

check these out, they look old but are new
I'll take one in beach blue please...or pink

I really want a subzero professional fridge

or a chalkboard one

mallorymurray 2/25/10, 11:10 PM

Love the vintage appliances! I really want a vintage fridge some day if I can design a house from scratch. Vintage stove would be great, too. :)

Debbie 2/26/10, 11:52 PM

Those old appliances are fun to look at but I am SOOO glad I don't have to use one. LOL

Nana Moon 2/28/10, 12:10 AM

These are fantastic! The wringer washer and fridges, they just make me smile! Thanks for sharing! Happy VTT... a little late, but trying to hit everyone :)