The Crazy Suburban Mom: It is what it is...

Hobonichi Cousin Planner

Monday, February 1, 2010

It is what it is...

"It was very strange the first time I put it on. I laughed and I cried. It was very intense. I went into public with it on, down in the lobby of the hotel where I tried it on, and people wouldn't even look at me, wouldn't make eye contact with me at all. I felt no sexual energy from men. Normally, in the film, I have all these tiny little clothes on, but when I come to the set with the suit on and feel none of that, it is palpable."

That's a quote from Gwyneth Paltrow. She's talking about the fir
st time she put on the fat suit she had to wear for the movie Shallow Hal. I'd heard that quote before and went looking for it this morning - Google is a wondrous and miraculous thing.

Many people gave her heaps of grief over that statement. Some considering it at the tippy-top of the list of offensive celebrity fat suit comments. Why?

Isn't that the way it is? And wouldn't it be shocking to someone who had never experienced it.

And looking at a picture of her in and out of the suit can anyone say that isn't exactly the way it went down?

No, it's probably not PC to say that. But that is the truth. Everyday. For millions of people, that is the truth.

Fair, not fair... It's still the truth and the truth is what it is.

Lin 2/1/10, 7:45 AM

So, all the Hollywood types gasp at that comment, but they all know the truth. That is why they are obsessed with being a size 0 and plastic surgery. Fat = no work in Hollywood, so they can gasp all they want, reality speaks loudly.

I come from a family where weight is an issue. I have 1 aunt and 2 cousins that had gastric bypass surgery and still, they are obsessed with food. I fight this fight every single day of my life.

The Crazy Suburban Mom 2/1/10, 8:01 AM

Lin, I don't think it was Hollywood. I think it was people thinking she was grossly insensitive. There are a number of people who donned a fat suit for various reasons - Tyra Banks did it too. And they commented on what it was like and than people picked those statements apart. The thing is, those statements were seemed to voice the shock of whats it like. And other things. And people slammed them for it. Perhaps they should have seen the back-lash coming but... well, it is what it is, as I said.

Maureen 2/1/10, 11:21 AM

I adopted those words ("It is what it is.") as my mantra about 3 years ago and let me sayx, it has changed my life. Just when I'm a about to make a "mountain out of a mole-hill", I remember those words and it puts things in perspective. And I think that is true of what Gwyneth Paltrow said. It just is what it is.

P.S. Welcome back?

Mary 2/1/10, 1:01 PM

I don't see the problem. As someone who has lost 70 pounds, I can honestly say that, yes, you are suddenly "seen" once you get thin. I didn't realize I wasn't being seen while I was fat, but boy I noticed a difference when I got thin!

@eloh 2/1/10, 3:01 PM

I think the problem with telling the truth about the fat suit/ being fat is that it is still "politically correct" to both, make fun and joke about fat people and to blame them for their own misery.

Dori 2/1/10, 3:17 PM

You are so right. People don't want to admit that this is the case, but it is.

Katherine 2/1/10, 4:28 PM

Sad, not looking at someone who is overweight in the eye. :( I never thought about that. I wonder if people with disabilities get the same reaction. How hard to live like that.

CastoCreations 2/1/10, 6:14 PM

I don't understand why people would be upset by her comment. Of course that is what happens. People like beauty and we're taught that "fat" isn't beautiful. I struggle with this all the time. I think it's GOOD for her to have gotten that reaction...perhaps it will make her (and others who have had similar situations with the suits) think about how others feel.

mama-face 2/1/10, 7:15 PM

Interesting and thought provoking. I have so many thoughts bubbling around and none are making any sense; other than to me. sigh.

Good post.

The Elegant Thrifter 2/2/10, 6:55 AM

This reaction is so true. At one point in my life I was heavy and worked in fashion, so imagine how people who didn't know me treated me. But then when I lost 50 pounds and looked fabulous, the same people who would smirk at my size would come up to me and ask in a hushed breath with a faux concerned face, "Are you ok?' I mean, there are people who feel threatened even when you lose weight! SUCH an issue, but it's true. Our society is very quick to base their opinions on someone's look.

NOW for the non PC, silly part of a truly important observation:

Since you always have such a good sense of humor, I'm reading this and get through the quote not realizing what was coming next. I just imagined you were going to say something about someone walking around in a Snuggie! Seriously! I wasn't expecting the fat suit!

Thanks for the observation. Stan

OLLIE MCKAY'S ~ A Chic Boutique 2/2/10, 9:55 AM

I like to think that most people are truly concerned about the health of others and their friends - although I know this is not always the case. If for no other reason than the health issues that arise> Have a beautiful day all!