The Crazy Suburban Mom: Why is my toilet screaming?

Monday, January 18, 2010

Why is my toilet screaming?

I'm having a hard day today. It's 2 in the afternoon and I haven't posted yet; which is what? Twelve hours after I normally post. And I'm not going to get into how abnormal waking up at 2:30 in the morning is. It is what it is.

But did you ever have, like stuff in your life that's annoying? Or one particular thing. On most days you can stand it; just shake your head and move on. On a bad day maybe you say, I really gotta fix that freaking thing. If it's a really bad day maybe you swear at it and kick the offender.

But on a day when nothing's going right that annoyance seems to sap a monumental amount of what little energy you have to spare.

And it's probably just a stupid little thing. Your mailbox door is ajar. The mute button on one of your TV remotes doesn't work but reprogramming the new one FIOS sent is so daunting that I am living with not having a mute button in the bedroom even though listening to the drug commercials tweaks all my hypochondriacal molecules and the abused animal commercials leaves me a gelatinous mass of sobbing ooze. Every. Single. Time. But it's not that.

Listen to this...

My toilet screams.

What unholy thing could that be? Seriously, people that know toilets -What in the hell is that? Can someone tell me, please. And how do I get whatever is in there screaming, out? Because I'm telling you, that toilet screaming - while flushing - after I've used it is starting to give me a complex that I don't think there is a drug for.

At least none I've seen on the commercials...

tahtimbo 1/18/10, 6:22 PM

My first thought is that the float (ballcock) is bad and needs to be replaced. Since the tank needs to be drained to install it, I would go ahead and replace the flapper valve at the same time. I hope this helps.
If you need help in replacing it, please let me know and I'll try and write-up the instructions for you.

Lin 1/18/10, 6:58 PM

I'm gonna go with tahtimbo and suggest you replace that whole mechanism in the tank. They are like one piece and it is pretty easy to do. I mean, Joe can do it, so I think it's fairly easy.

Or you can just sing along. That is some weird stuff coming out of that beast.

Vonlipi 1/18/10, 7:51 PM

Hi Tracy! Did you read my comment on Flickr? It might help you and cost NO money...free! Free advice from the crazy Pyrex lady!

The Crazy Suburban Mom 1/18/10, 8:00 PM

tahtimbo - Oh my. That sounds big. Although that might explain why I have to hold the handle down to get it to flush. If I just push it down and release - there is no flush - more a ripple.

sigh. this is just gross.

Lin - Its bizarre isnt it?

Vonlipi - I did. I answered it already! lol

The Elegant Thrifter 1/18/10, 8:09 PM

So that explains the odd sound I heard coming across the Hudson! Stan

The Crazy Suburban Mom 1/18/10, 8:10 PM

Stan,

Well honey, that explains one of them 'wink'

Frogs in my formula 1/18/10, 8:40 PM

Is there someone trapped in your toilet bowl? Either that or you live by the train station and never knew it? I don't mean to laugh but that's hysterical (and awful)!

Richard @ The Bewildered Brit 1/18/10, 9:16 PM

Oh blimey! Did you buy the "Haunted Death Toilet of Death" model at Lowes? That might explain it.

My TiVo's been making very funny noises over the last couple of days, but nothing like that!

Daisy 1/19/10, 6:04 AM

AAAIIIIEEEEEEE! Your toilet scairted me!

fetus 1/19/10, 6:57 AM

lol. that really is a funny noise. something is wrong somewhere, that's what i could think of. (hahaha!)