The Crazy Suburban Mom: A Retro Tuesday to swoon over...

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A Retro Tuesday to swoon over...

This Retro Tuesday is a continuation of the 1955 Aqua Kitchen Fest of last week with a side of Pyrex.

retrotuesay stamp

Because I can't seem to stop myself.

ge kitchen 19551

I don't see ads for Pyrex anywhere really but sometimes I find it hidden in an ads for other things. And what's with that pitcher? I'm loving it. Is that some famous brand or just something randomly fabulous?

The ad is for GE

ge kitchen 19551

P.S. These turny shelves would be so helpful. I've got lots of curious things at the back of my fridge that once in there never see the light of day.

ge kitchen 19551

1955 must have been as good a year for GE as it was for aqua

ge kitchen 1955

But this business....Taking apart my oven in heels?

ge kitchen 1955

Totally unappealing.

ge kitchen 1955

And yay! even more Pyrex!

I really like the cabinets, too. They are a very nice neutral color that  sort of tones down the bright aqua.

Now look at this cover picture...

household magazine 1955

Did you swoon?

After I scanned this I walked in my kitchen for coffee and seriously thought of redoing my kitchen for the first time in years.

What about this isn't perfect?

household magazine 1955

The light? The wall paper?

household magazine 1955

All perfect.

The TV?

household magazine 1955

Perfect...

A... clock radio?

household magazine 1955
Yeah, even that...

There isn't anything pictured I could afford if I found it at an estate sale. Even so, I totally want to redo my kitchen now.

These magazines are turning me into an envy-monster but I can't help myself.

Vonlipi 1/26/10, 9:37 AM

Pyrex,Pyrex,PYREX!!! Turquoise Snowflake! One of my favorite patterns!

I can't get over the fact the food is never covered in those ads...Jell-0 mold tasting of onions and ham...eeewww!

I love the fridge! I would like an oven I can remove while i'm in heels...Heck I want some heels! lol

Maureen 1/26/10, 11:33 AM

Oh I love this stuff! Then they replaced this color with avocado and harvest gold. Because?

P.S. I have to run but I'll link up later.

concretenprimroses 1/26/10, 12:36 PM

I love it! My mom's kitchen was never so cool tho. And now she's got gold and avocado leftover from the 70s. The reason was the same, of course, that so many people now have beige and beige. Its the style, some say, for a few seconds.
Kathy

Richard @ The Bewildered Brit 1/26/10, 4:12 PM

ZOMG: I want a spinny-shelf-fridge!

No more forgotten yogurt! No more "where are the pickles?"

My life would be complete!

Tara Beaulieu 1/26/10, 9:22 PM

I just bought the avocado green house, lol! I am making it work by combining it with the vintage aqua stuff. I want one of the ovens!

Jen 1/26/10, 11:13 PM

I have that Pyrex dish in pink. It was my grandmother's and I love it. I want to know where she got that apron. That is the kind of apron men dream their wives would wear. You can't wipe your hands on it that's for sure.

Now I have to go and see if my oven door doesn't pop off.

Janiss 1/27/10, 2:38 AM

What fab kitchens, but the outfits - WTF? I hope somebody who remembers their mom from the 1950s reports in and tells us what they REALLY wore in the kitchen in those days. Although my parents married in the '50s, I can only report from the 1960s and 1970s - and all my mother ever seemed to wear was pant suits. Finally in the 1980s she graduated(?) to stretch jeans and wore them for the rest of her life. I kind of wish she'd had the killer aprons and heels instead.

Mary 1/27/10, 10:58 AM

That aqua Pyrex is totally awesome! The kitchen is a little extreme for my taste, but I really do love that bowl.

Did you see the retro food I posted the other day? lol.

Tara Beaulieu 1/27/10, 2:38 PM
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tara Beaulieu 1/27/10, 2:39 PM

A quick note- I got on an "I have to find an aqua stove" kick yesterday afternoon and found one in my local Craig's List adverts for $200! Now I just have to convince the Mr. that we neeeeeeeeed it. ;)

Vonlipi 1/27/10, 5:06 PM

Just a quick note on the apron. It's called an hostess apron and wiwes would cook with regular apron and changed into those for serving or when the husband came home. They are unbelievably stiff and a big bunch of trouble to iron them! I had some in my Etsy store, they were a big hit! :)

heidi 1/28/10, 8:43 AM

I am swooning. Big time.

mama-face 1/28/10, 10:55 AM

My recently passed away in-laws had a turquoise wall oven that must be 100 years old. Almost. Two doors side by side that open out. If only I collected old ovens.

I'm old enough to remember how cool the bottom freezer/refrigerators were. Now they're popular again.

I'm always telling you how old I am. Maybe you should feature me on Retro Tuesday.

Mrs. P. 1/28/10, 12:46 PM

What a fun post...I love all the Aqua and wouldn't those turn-table shelves be a wonder?!

Blessings!
Gail

Bea 1/28/10, 2:22 PM

Aqua is such a fun color. I've been toying with the idea of using aqua when we rehab the kitchen. Aqua, red and white.

Postcardy 1/28/10, 3:26 PM

I love old kitchen ads. My parents had a light green kitchen range.

~~Carol~~ 1/28/10, 3:57 PM

Those radios are definitely still affordable. I've gotten a few for about $20 on Ebay. That polka dot wall is amazing! And now I'm tempted to paint the little TV in my kitchen. It's black and sticks out like a sore thumb. Hmmmm, now you've got me thinking!

Miri 1/28/10, 4:24 PM

Love the kitchen and I wouldn't want to take off my oven's door even in flats!

Fine Estate Sales 1/28/10, 5:16 PM

Wow...seems you have uncovered a pent up demand...Oh for a truckload of these to sell...pretty sparse to find at an estate sale though.

When we have them, they go fast...

Love Your Humor,

Martin

Coloradolady 1/29/10, 1:23 AM

love this...the colors are great. sorry I am so late, I want to throw my computer in the street.....Happy VTT!

Pink Roses and Teacups 1/29/10, 12:21 PM

Love those vintage kitchen ads, and the aquq pyrex. As a kid, I can remember our wallpaper in the kitchen with pink and aqua teapots.

Debbie