The Crazy Suburban Mom: A Cautionary #Fail...

Hobonichi Cousin Planner in my Filofax

Monday, December 7, 2009

A Cautionary #Fail...

This isn't another rant about Dell, by the way (they are here and here).

This fail is all mine.

Don't read this if you have a weak stomach. It's gross.

016

I have always thought I had a lot of dust in my house. A preposterous amount of dust. The conspicuous consumption version of home dust. Like there was constant construction outside my doorstep, or Martian dust storms. I'm being funny, I know. But it's always been confusing to me and I've often thought the only way to have this much dust in a home was to call all the area dust dealers and import it in...

005

It's been a never ending battle and I am so. not. kidding. I moved some furniture yesterday and the emerald green carpet under there was once again ecru thanks to a covering of dust. And more than that my kid has allergies and I've started to clog up every time I lay my head on the pillow.

017

Every few years we would get some company to clean out the vents, and pipes and whatever they blow out and for a few weeks it's better and than the dust rears it's ugly dusty head again. So today was the day my house was to get it's pipes blown out. It was urgent this time because about five days ago when the kid ran the dryer the smoke alarm went off and I knew that was a really, really bad thing. I declared, NO MORE LAUNDRY! until the dryer vent is cleared. It was tough although my kid seemed good with just using a can of Fabreez.

009

So, today they come and try to sell us all manner of extras which I was ready to turn a blind eye on.... but OMG. Have you been looking at the pictures I've been posting. They are the circulatory system in my house. They are what we have been breathing. A good ten years accumulation, if I believe the technicians (and I do), who donned masks as soon as they started taking pictures.

008

My whole house was done within the last few years and my dryer vent was done with in the last few months. But the last dryer vent deal was just two guys who came with a shop vac and never left my dryers side. These guys physically went into my attic and pulled the stuff from the tube with their hands, and I am so not kidding. Feet of stuff was pouring out. I heard it going through the big main tube - heard it! It sounded like baseballs hitting the side of a house. And I'm not surprised the smoke alarm went off, I'm surprised the house didn't catch fire.

020

I can't explain how it can get this bad when I supposedly had this done every few years. I guess we got what we paid for and waiting for the coupons to come and paying for the minimum was a really bad idea. These guys were here for hours and practically had to take apart the HVAC.

I'm grossed out at the moment and clogged from all the dust that's been swirling today. And am posting this as a public service announcement despite feeling hugely embarrassed. But maybe it will save someone a dryer fire.

This is one an after...

011

...Of one of the pictures I posted above.

Amazing!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Ann 12/7/09, 5:19 PM

that's a lot of dust.

The Crazy Suburban Mom 12/7/09, 5:24 PM

sigh, I know. Its embarrassing. I feel awful. I wouldnt even be posting this except that I had people come and clean out the pipes every few years! I can only think they didnt do a good job... and I cant be the only one this happened to. The guy is probably right - 10 to 15 years of dust

heidi 12/7/09, 5:36 PM

ewwww. i prefer site unseen where dust is concerned. yay for you for cleaning it up. now i wonder about our digs...

Vonlipi 12/7/09, 6:07 PM

SCARY! I shudder to think what lurks in my ducts!!!

Lin 12/7/09, 7:41 PM

Ick. You are lucky with the dryer vent--You should do that twice a year. But that said, ours is easily accessible and replaced, so we do it all of the time. I don't even want to think about the ducts.

Maureen 12/7/09, 7:56 PM

Where the hell does it all come from? It drives me crazy!

Richard @ The Bewildered Brit 12/7/09, 8:24 PM

I wasn't scared of the ducts on my apartment until I read this post! Eeeek! :)

Shelle 12/8/09, 12:24 AM

wow, I'm glad I don't like ac...we keep windows open...but it does get dusty. I just put it down to having 9 people and a dog running around the house all day long and the lint that comes from the clothing.

The Crazy Suburban Mom 12/8/09, 6:31 AM

I know everyone! It was horrible! That last picture was I think a main tube and it's clean enough to drink a diet coke out of now - except it's really really big. So it's not really like a straw... more like a highway. But that was one of the pics I posted clogged full.

And now I know where all the dust was coming from. Inside the house. As an fyi, when I ran the dryer the clothes dried about four times faster and when I took them out they were almost too hot to touch. And this wasnt on the hot setting. So Ive been wasting alot of energy (and money) for years. They guys said it would cost less to heat and cool and do laundry now and I totally believe them.

Lidian 12/8/09, 7:39 AM

I can only imagine what our hidden-dust situation is! Yikes.

At least you did something constructive about your dust ;)

Lynette 12/8/09, 9:59 AM

please please go read this instruction manuel on taming the wild dust bunny!

Six Feet Under Blog 12/8/09, 10:22 AM

Wow! Ive been thinking about getting mine cleaned out. I guess I better get going!

Buggys 12/8/09, 11:28 AM

So what is the answer? Did they suggest anything?

Frogs in my formula 12/8/09, 8:48 PM

Now I'm going to have nightmares. That is a great public service announcement.