The Crazy Suburban Mom: I'm verklempt...

Thursday, November 12, 2009

I'm verklempt...

Day 54, No car...

Chevy van

I got my drivers license when I was 17 and this the longest it's been since I haven't had wheels. Can I tell you what I've learned in the last 54 days?

1. New Jersey's public transportation is just for show. All my life I've seen buses but I think they just drive around and don't stop and pick anyone up. Ditto trains. Everyone I know has a car. These two have cars.

chelseyben

The one doing the hair dying has a car, that's my kid. The one getting her hair dyed is his friend and she has a car, too - Named Linden ( After President Lyndon Baines Johnson) And okay she has to hit Linden's engine with a hammer while someone is in the driver's seat turning the key and giving it gas.

But it's a car. And she has one.

2. I really don't mind not leaving the house.

3. Even taking in account #2 - and it's my preferred state - it's making me slightly crazy. I have this air freshener in the bathroom. It has a motion sensor so it goes off when I go in there. I'm starting to take it personally. Like how does it know I'm going to do something, um...Dramatic every time I walk into the bathroom? I mean, sometimes I'm just brushing my teeth although...see #4. And I'm pretty sure my lack of interacting with live people is making me take my interactions with air fresheners so personally.

4. I can't remember the last time I took a bath.

5. And yeah, there was that time my van had to wear the diaper and my family would only leave the house in the dark. ( here) But hey, it happens to us all as we age. Not that I'm copping to wearing a diaper or anything.

003

Oh! The good times we had!

6. Me and Ginger were potatoing around the other day on the couch trying to figure out how long a dog's nose would stay day-glow orange if you stuck cheetos to it. While we both enjoyed doing it at the time we both questioned our sanity later.

7. My dad has offered me money to buy a car. He must be quite concerned about me.

8. I really, really liked my minivan. I've never had a minivan before but having one quickly defined me. I got it because it was really cheap, being old and having 158,000 miles on it... And gas was over $4 a gallon at the time. They couldn't give the thing away, almost but wow, I loved it. Everyone I know called it The Big Blue Whale but they weren't laughing when they needed to borrow it now were they?

9. I've realized I haven't had reliable transportation in long time. My dentist called to change a cleaning appointment. I told her not to change it, just cancel it. I don't have a car. She said, Again? That made me realize how frequently I've been without a car in the last few years...Granted not 54 days but still. This time I need something better. Something bionic. Something.... I don't know. Something.

10. The thing is I really want another van and I'm afraid that's just crazy. What do you think? I had a Chevy van but the ones I've looked at have all had so much mileage. I've seen a few Chrysler Town and Country vans and OMG, fabulous! But really expensive. I don't want to get into a situation with a high mileage van again. I paid $2600 for my chevy and in the 2 years I had it I put more than that into repairs until the head gasket blew - 4 months after I put in a new air conditioner. But I don't want to talk about that, I'll get sick again.

Chevy van

Christa 11/12/09, 8:56 AM

Ok so I don't know how much you're willing to spend, but we're buying a van in the next couple of months too... 3 kids under 3 equals mini van! We have found TONS of Dodge GRand Caravans and Chrysler Town and Country's that are only a year old, with less than 50K miles for less than $15K. But I know how you feel about your Venture. I had one too. I paid about the same price for mine, and drove it for oh about... 7 months before the transmission started slipping and I traded it in, for a gas guzzling, only two rwos of seats, what the heck was I thinking Trailblazer!

The Crazy Suburban Mom 11/12/09, 9:31 AM

I haven't see a Town and country for that here... I have seen Town and Countrys for that with... are you ready? 80,000 miles on them.

Yeah. I'm pretty ill about it. And pretty much I have less than 15,000... its awful.

Christa 11/12/09, 10:10 AM

Oh my! People are proud of their mini vans in your area! Yeah we actually have alot less than 15,000... but we're hoping that this little one will show her face before December 31 and we can hurry up and file out taxes, then we can just use our money to get what really want/need.

The Crazy Suburban Mom 11/12/09, 10:27 AM

Yeah I know - the low mileage ones are crazy - I just looked at some town and countrys - 2008 with 13,000 mile is $30,000 and Id have to go to PA to get it. I mean c,mon and they want $10,000 for a 2003 with 110,000 miles on it... I mean, thats nuts.

@eloh 11/12/09, 12:01 PM

Sorry, Take your Dad up on his offer.

Buy a used Buick.

Again sorry, but just the nature of things, the Buick will have been owned by an older person and therefore well taken care of.

Again sorry, but I have forced my children to adhere to this rule... resulting in cheap beautiful autos that last forever.

The Crazy Suburban Mom 11/12/09, 12:24 PM

eloh - am not against a buick. and am not against a car owned by an older person ... You're also right about his. My son's grandma gave him his car - Under 60,000 for a 10 year old car. Beautiful shape. For sure I am up for that.

I'm a little gun shy about buying from a private person though - last 2 were private and man, bad repairs. I'm sort of thinking of going with a warrenty this time.

Mom Mayhem says: 11/12/09, 1:18 PM

We haven't had the best cars or only had 1 car to share -sometimes I'd be the one stuck at home without the car for awhile -Being at home is ok -But, 54 days! I couldn't imagine. Yeah the bus system here is eh-Ok. Our primary vehicle is now our mini van it's a Dodge Grand Caravan which the Town and Country is made from the same parent company -I'd say either one is a great choice! We got ours used but,low mileage/good condition. I would say definitely if you find a good deal and bonus if you can get a warranty would be good. We got ours with a warranty and so far not too many problems (knock on wood) the couple of little problems we've had luckily they took care of it. -Well, good luck!

Hannah 11/12/09, 1:57 PM

I enjoyed reading your blog. And I love your clever statement, "a mile in my minivan".

www.FunnyPhotosContest.com Submit CUTE or FUNNY photos and tell friends to vote for them. No entry fee.

LV 11/12/09, 4:56 PM

Loved the way you did your blog for today. It is neat and different.

The Mom (aka Amy) 11/12/09, 5:11 PM

I love your blog so much that I have given you an award. See my for the details. http://theconfessionsofastay-at-home-mom.blogspot.com/2009/11/major-award.htmlblog