The Crazy Suburban Mom: Weekly Weight Watcher Update with a gobble

Hobonichi Cousin Planner in my Filofax

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Weekly Weight Watcher Update with a gobble

I've been thinking about Thanksgiving.

turkey

Okay, not so much Thanksgiving.

More like Thanksgiving food. And I've started to hear people talking about holiday weight gain already but, I don't know... For me, I don't think it was the few weeks between Thanksgiving and New Years that put my weight on in the first place. Or kept it on till it was a major life issue.

Even if you calculate the thousands of calories I pack away in Candy Corn each year.

So this year my plan is to enjoy the holidays, and enjoy the food but not to give over my power to it.

And also not to pretend I don't have power over food - which I think I've done so I can try things that are sitting in front of me - OH, I CAN'T RESIST HAVING A PIECE OF THIS CAKE, WHY DID YOU BRING IT?

or this which is always said at a table in front of a partially full plate

I'M SO FULL, TAKE THIS AWAY OR I'LL KEEP EATING

And my weight loss as a visual this week
was that turkey up there!
(2, actually)

turkey

From Nueskes, where I buy my Thanksgiving smoked
turkey every single year, and I'm so not kidding.

Lidian 10/7/09, 11:17 AM

I agree, I think that if you're sensible you should enjoy the things you like best during the holidays - not everything, but the best things. Otherwise, for me, I tend to feel really sorry for myself in January which leads to - well, you know. That's when all the brandy beans and Pfeffernusse are on sale...

Lidian 10/7/09, 11:17 AM

Oh, and congrats on the loss, that's very cool! :)

icedteaforme 10/7/09, 12:08 PM

OMG you have lost 2 turkeys! that is so great! congrats!

Mary 10/7/09, 12:42 PM

Congratulations on the weight loss!

I know this is unsolicited advice, but I lost 70 pounds with WW and kept all but about 6 off for 4 years (and I blame having a kid for those 6, lol).

I looked at holidays as just that - holidays. I followed my WW plan through the fall and winter, but I didn't count points on Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, or Christmas. And I didn't count points on the occasional Christmas party. It worked out fine for me. I still even lost weight through November and December. Of course, I didn't get invited to tons and tons of parties every night either - so that helped. lol. Oh yeah, and I stuck with my light beer. :)

Good luck!

Mary 10/7/09, 1:34 PM

Oops. One more thing. Be prepared for a food hangover.

Once you quit eating high fat, high calorie food, you will get a food hangover the day after you consume a lot of it. It feels just like a hangover from too much drinking.

Lynette 10/7/09, 5:28 PM

Why is it we can run around for 3 days getting things ready for this big family meal, cleaning hearth and home, cooking our lil hearts out and running a million errands....but the moment we sit down to the "feast" we gain unpteem pounds that never responds to all the exercise it took to make them? LOL

L. 10/7/09, 7:05 PM

Congratulations! Two turkeys, that's awesome!

I'm a holiday eater (already started on the candy corn), but it helps that I don't do much of the cooking. I eat waaaay more when I'm cooking in the kitchen than I do at the table.

JUST ME, THE MOM 10/8/09, 1:11 AM

uuugg! don't really want to think about Thanksgiving at this point, still working on those couples pounds leftover from summer vacation. But my daily hiking is getting back on schedule this fall, so hoping it comes off plus a few more in time for Thanksgiving!

Kristin