The Crazy Suburban Mom: Retro Tuesday with a Tail

Hobonichi Cousin Planner in my Filofax

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Retro Tuesday with a Tail

retrotuesay stamp

Anyone want to do Retro Tuesday with me?
People did last week and it was fun! Info at bottom of the post!

My Retro Tuesday is a nod to the Groovy 70's.

Normally, I don't get magazines from the 70's because I find the fashions almost impossible to look at and the decor migraine inducing. Of all the decades I find the 70's the least appealing in terms of - Well, everything.

But recently I got some American Home magazines from the 70's as part of a lot and have been thumbing through them (quickly). Besides the occasional thing that I could classify as not ghastly, I've not liked what I've seen. Today I decided to sit and actually look. Take some time. Really contemplate.

Anyway, the fashions? Horrific, still.

And than I get to an ad for recliners and bee-lined in on this classic - The Contour Thermonic heated Viverator vibrating motorized massage recliner in tiger print fake fur.

chairs1

With a tail.

And I'm about to close the magazine 'cause I'm all, Hell no! and than I pull back a little and see the other models.

chairs2

And I have to admit that the Danish Modern model is kind of classic even though the Pure Luxury model in Mink is pure ridiculous, but at least it has no tail.

chairs

So I decide to see if there is anything, anything at all worth posting.

anchorhocking

I've seen one Pyrex ad in all the magazines I've read and never an ad for anchor hocking until now. I love this line and have never seen it. The green is not quite avocado but it's getting there - this magazine was from 1970.

As much as it pains me, this line is fabulous - and from the 70's.

And on I go.

presto

Definitely more avocado/harvest gold but still, I don't know - not quite there to me.

Design-wise I think these are really attractive and would pick the the gold one up. It would so go with my kitchen.

toaster

Something about this toaster rings more 50's/60's to me than 70's but design speaking? Way cute! I mean, I kind of love it actually.

So, I have to say I've softened a bit. And I for sure found
things that were better than, Not ghastly.

Anyone want to do Retro Tuesday with me? People did last week and it was fun! You can do the MckLinky on the bottom, but please link back to me and than have at it! Post something Retro-Tuesdayish. It could be an an ad from a Vintage Magazine, Pyrex, antique mugs....or an old recipe from a community cookbook, a button, something you bought, be creative...

MckLinky Blog Hop

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

@eloh 10/6/09, 9:59 AM

Oh lordy, you know this stuff was what I started keeping house with. Yes, every now and then I recognise a wedding gift.

The chair with the tail...who ever designed that had never had a cat. Can you imagine trying to relax in your chair with your cat flying and flopping around behind you trying to shred that tail...

I'll take the one with the wings and skirt please.

The Crazy Suburban Mom 10/6/09, 10:22 AM

Good point about that tail, hadn't considered it but yeah, True. Very true.

Maureen 10/6/09, 10:51 AM

Oh...that 70's green - yuck! Appliances were "harvest gold" and "avocado"! Can you imagine? Those were my formative, teens years and thinking back I suppose I should thankful that I wasn't scarred for life by some of the design.

P.L. Frederick 10/6/09, 11:52 AM

Oooooh, growing up, my grandmother had a Presto. I'd forgotten! In orange, I think, with built-in pot roast.

P.L. Frederick (Small & Big)

Debbie 10/6/09, 12:48 PM

I love these since I was around back then! And I love that anchor hocking too.

The Crazy Suburban Mom 10/6/09, 1:04 PM

Maureen - I saw alot of this color too. I grew up in a subdivison built in this era

PL- Thats too funny, In orange with a built in roast! lol...

Debbie - I totally love these. And I totally want these. I have to take another look thru those magazines I guess...

Miss Mustard Seed 10/6/09, 5:25 PM

I was born in the 70's and I am not a lover of the 70's. Not into the music, the decor, the clothing, the colors, but that's just me! Everyone has their decade. Thanks for the lovely comment on my table. You really should take the plunge some time. Work on a cheap table, so if it doesn't work out, you can throw it away! No need to be afraid!

Sarah Maizes 10/7/09, 1:47 AM

Found you on MBC. What an amazing blog. I'm a big fan of avocado appliances. :) I'm following you - hope you'll check out my blog and like it enough to follow. I'm at www.mommylite.blogspot.com

L. 10/7/09, 9:24 AM

I'm not much for the designs but I enjoyed this 70s retro for the ads! :)
I especially love the ads with Santa snoozing in the chair and the one with daisies growing from the toaster.

Nichay 10/10/09, 7:15 PM

Omg, my dad found "The Contour Chair" in an olive green color at an estate sale a couple of years ago. He called my step mom and said I have found the perfect chair. My dad is a crazy man for vintage stuff. He brings the chair in the house and my step mom was like Um...NO! BUT, once she sat in it, she fell in love. Now when we are all there for christmas and stuff we fight over who gets to sit in the warm chair. HAHA!