The Crazy Suburban Mom: Retro Tuesay with a family twist

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Retro Tuesay with a family twist

It's Retro Tuesday again!

retrotuesay stamp

I love Retro Tuesday!  I've been sitting here going through a copy of The American Home, 1948 to find something flashy and spectacular - a towering and florescent Jell-o concoction (OH! How I love those...) or a piece of furniture to covet... or something that would have cost less than five dollars in the 50's that I saw on eBay yesterday for... oh... I dunno... a couple o'hundred?

The thing is, I find the images of homes so appealing.  Or maybe it's the images of an idyllic home life.  I've talked to my parents about their lives and the lives of their parents.  It was hard. And not hard like my life, bone hard.

Both my grandfathers (or great grand-fathers) worked the garment industry - one was a presser.  Early in the 20th century he walked through New York City  carrying a pressing machine on his back  looking for work.  My father's family routinely didn't have a place to live and stayed with relatives ( if they themselves had room.)

I think, for many people, these magazines were the same as they are to me - An unattainable dream.

curtains

They would have been for my family...

curtains1

My dad looked very much like the boy in the mirror... and his sister, 12 years younger...the girl.  I doubt either of them had ever even seen a bathroom like this at this age.  There wasn't the money to buy this magazine.  My father told me he saved money for weeks to go to the movies on Saturdays where he could stay all day. And laugh.

This room..

curtains2

Would have been very much my grandmother's taste.  This grandmother (here).    I doubt at most points in her life she had enough to fill this.

curtains3

She had a great sense of color and was a great seamstress.  She told me a lot about her sense of color.  When they got a little more money and a place to live she decorated her living room in purple and green.  Everyone told her she was crazy.  She laughed when she told me she knew it would work.  And because I inherited her sense of color, in my head I was running the colors through my mind, and could tell she was right.  I bet it looked spectacular.

You go girl, I know you did.

Want to win this?  I'm giving two of them away!

Pink Together Inspiring Hope Gift Pack_Small

Mary 10/20/09, 10:21 AM

That is such a sweet post. :)

Lori 10/20/09, 11:32 AM

Great post! And what you said about your grandfather spending all day at the movies -- that totally was what they did then. My dad's parents actually met at the movies!

Purple and green, I can't imagine. Do you have any photos of their home?

Maureen 10/20/09, 12:46 PM

I can't imagine carrying a presser around looking for work. It must have been tough back then but I'll bet looking back a lot of people wouldn't change at thing. When you work hard for something, you have an appreciation for it. Challenges build character. Something that is in short supply in today's "gimme gimme" generation.

I remember curtains similar to those. Nope - not for me.

Lynette 10/20/09, 4:51 PM

i really wish for some of these times again too.
yes life was hard but it was also appreciated

mummyof5monsters 10/20/09, 5:14 PM

great post:)

The Elegant Thrifter 10/20/09, 9:20 PM

Isn't it amazing in life when we realize how hard our parents and grandparents had it. We always had everything we wanted as kids, but it wasn't until later in life that I realized the sacrifices my folks made as teachers trying to raise their kids the best they knew how.....I think as long as we always do our best, then we can't regret having tried. Nice post.
Stan

Elizabeth 10/21/09, 7:17 AM

Wow, that artwork is just amazing! I can't get over it! So glad you happened to visit my blog this morning so I could visit yours in return. And BTW, I totally won't hold the mushrooms against you! :)

ladyjanewriter 10/21/09, 9:11 AM

I think I love Green and Purple Gramma, and her colorful influence on your life. :-)