The Crazy Suburban Mom: The story of a hanger (for vintage thingies Thursday)

Thursday, September 17, 2009

The story of a hanger (for vintage thingies Thursday)

This hanger wasn't something I bought intentionally.

hanger

I bought (and sold) something that was hanging on it.
But this hanger, I kept.

hanger2

Everything about it seems permanent. Thought out.

Perfect.

hanger3

And meant to be kept forever.

It's used in a soft, wooden way. Golden-brown and aged. Storied.

And it's so unlike all the things people buy today and expect to break; and are disappointed when they hang around a bit too long. When things break we can go buy new things. And buying new things is what we all want, right?

hanger4

But I kept this hanger long after the item hanging on it was gone and I think Mrs. Keller - The person who a long time ago ordered this hanger for her downtown Park Avenue office - would be pleased.

Somehow that pleases me, too.

Visit Vintage Thursday Thingies!
Colorado Lady

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Dalomba Days

Kathi Fly 9/17/09, 11:59 AM

What a beautiful hanger! They don't make them like they used to. A nice little bit of history......I think Mrs. Keller would be pleased too!

PlantSomeRoots@Lakewood 9/17/09, 12:37 PM

Just makes you want to know more about Mrs. Keller and the history that is still unknown. I think we like the mystery of our vintage items.
Thanks for sharing!
Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy

Postcardy 9/17/09, 1:34 PM

I wonder what has happened to the old wooden hangers with advertising printed on them. They were made to last, but I don't recall ever seeing them at antique shoes or shops.

Jingle 9/17/09, 1:59 PM

That is such a neat piece! How fun that you acquired it totally by accident!

@eloh 9/17/09, 2:32 PM

Beautiful piece of workmanship.

The Crazy Suburban Mom 9/17/09, 3:03 PM

Thanks everyone, I almost sent the hanger with the item when I sold it. And I couldnt part with it. There's omething about this old hanger that appeals to me so...

Joan@anythinggoeshere 9/17/09, 3:41 PM

I like ordinary things...especially ordinary things with writing on them..so hangers sure qualify. There are numerous versions and endless different companies who used them.

They look great grouped together on a wall as artwork, so I can understand your attachment.

Candace 9/17/09, 3:59 PM

What a lovely post -I'm sure Mrs. Keller would be smiling!
Cheers!

Teresa 9/17/09, 4:01 PM

What a neat piece to hold on to. I love to think of who else and what else an item has been through. I would have kept it also.
Teresa

~~Carol~~ 9/17/09, 4:18 PM

I love wooden hangers, and always grab them when I see them! Especially when they have some writing on them, like yours. They were definitely built to last!
Happy VTT!

LV 9/17/09, 4:20 PM

What an interesting story and nice it would be to know all the history of the hanger. I would never have thought of using a hanger, but yours is perfect for VTT. Happy you paid me a visit.

Lidian 9/17/09, 4:53 PM

What a beautiful hanger and I know that Mrs. K would love your post! I do, too.

Coloradolady 9/17/09, 4:53 PM

Wonderful hanger...I like the shape and style too and would have kept the hanger in a heartbeat.

Have a great VTT and a wonderful weekend.

Happy Cottage Quilter 9/17/09, 4:58 PM

Wow what a very interesting vintage hanger! Who would have thought, a personalize hanger. Yes Mrs. Keller would be pleased.

Jocelyn

mannequin 9/17/09, 5:47 PM

And yes, it is gorgeous in it's simplistic yet ingenious construction. That coat hanger has more class than today's could ever dream to have.

Jane 9/17/09, 5:53 PM

I agree that the hanger was worth keeping. There is definite craftmanship in that hanger. You can add some more stories to it's history.

The Crazy Suburban Mom 9/17/09, 6:45 PM

Thanks everyone for commenting! I'm so happy that something so common touched you all too... It's such a shame that common things are no longer made to be special. All things can be art, they just aren't made to be. And what a shame

ClassyChassy 9/17/09, 11:14 PM

A fun and interesting post! Enjoyed looking at the hanger, and your thoughts on it. Happy VTT!

Debbie 9/18/09, 9:14 AM

It is beautiful. I love things like that - made with such care. It does pain me that we live in such a disposable world now.

Keetha Broyles 9/18/09, 12:05 PM

What a special cool hanger and story!

Lynette 9/19/09, 6:40 AM

sad we lost the craftmanship of by gone days. also that all in life is so instant.
glad i still hang my clothes out to dry, iron the wrinkles away and yes this hanger would be loved and used too!

Christa 9/19/09, 5:10 PM

I have a hanger like that... I'll have to go get it out of the spare closet and tell you what is stamped on it.

greenhoneyhive 9/21/09, 4:42 AM

I have many many old wooden hangers in my closets..I have always bee drawn to them. Partly for estethic reasons and like you said for its feelings of permanence of stability. I also just think my classic clothing, especially jackets just wear so much better on a wooden hanger.I guess that is the seamstress in me showing out.

jemsgems 11/8/09, 10:15 PM

I have a love for anything solid and old.
These are wonderful. Nostalgic and bring
back memories.

I'm quite overflowing with hangers I have
collected -- anyone wanting to buy my extras?