The Crazy Suburban Mom: Retro Tuesday Fridge Edition

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Retro Tuesday Fridge Edition

retrotuesay stamp

I rarely plan Retro Tuesday ahead of time. What happens is after some coffee and railing about the unfairness of my hair, I go through magazines, see what grabs my attention Tuesday morning and go with that.

With one exception, I did the same thing this morning. Something was on my mind. Well, okay many things were on my mind, many things are always on my mind which is why I never pre-write my posts - I just wake up and write whatever's there.

But anyway - Last night I was watching HGTV and yet again a family was buying a house - That could be the tag-line of HGTV (COME SEE YET ANOTHER FAMILY BUY A HOUSE TONIGHT!) and I was struck how they AGAIN said, Oh look! We don't have to redo the kitchen, it already has nice granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances. And I'm thinking right now I guess the tag-line of HGTV could be, COME SEE YET ANOTHER FAMILY BUY A HOUSE WITH GRANITE COUNTER TOPS AND STAINLESS STEEL APPLIANCES. I used to like that station and now it's, I don't know, not applicable. Fluff. It's become the Food Network, Interior Design Version and don't get me started on the Food Network.

My apologies. This post is getting all off track and unwieldy but I am SO over granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances. I get that they are nice and high end but C'mon! Enough already.

So when I was looking at the June 1965 issue of Family Circle and saw this Whirlpool Fridge I made an audible Squeee loud enough to disturb Ginger.

whirlpool

And I had to laugh at the, Closed it looks like any other refrigerator, title.
When was the last time you saw a color like that on a closed fridge?

But than I looked closer at the inside. Is that pink in there?

whirlpool1

Oh yeah, it's pink along the edges.

A pink and aqua fridge was the perfect antidote for my stainless weary brain. And I stared at it for a while and started wondering what the stuff was. Of course I saw the requisite 60's jello concoction...

whirlpool1

But look closer, it's brand placement central in there...

whirlpool2

See 'em?

I may have a new game in the making... All I need is a stack of vintage magazine and a magnifying glass. Spot the products! 7-up.... Gerber... I think there's a Pyrex Fridge dish. Not to mention the deviled eggs, maybe the quintessential shrimp cocktail and that square ham there?

So for my new game of what do you see in the vintage Fridge, What do you see?

whirlpool3

How 'bout these? Canada dry, Coca-Cola, Del-Monte ketchup?
Lindsey olives, I think. More Pyrex of the turquoise variety...

whirlpool4

Now the freezer, I can't pick any out but maybe you can?

Last day for my vintage button giveaway - want to win this?

blue rhinestone

Enter here

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Christa 9/15/09, 9:01 AM

I'm getting my kitchen put together today... sending you pictures as soon as I'm done! My curtains are so adorable! I'm hopin to find LOTS of pink stuff at the store today.
My husband says I can get a vintage fridge when we build our house in a few years... I think he thinks I'll be over it by then... he just doesn't understand true love. I was on Retro Redheads yesterday and I swear my heart was skipping beats! Those dang souvenier state table cloths! Oh my I have to have one!!!

ladyjanewriter 9/15/09, 9:55 AM

OK! I think the red box towards the top of the freezer is a Stauffer's box of some sort - it's their shade of red, and it reminds me of the ones I saw in the early 70's before the 80's logo redesign.

In the fridge, next to the pineapple upside down cake, is a yellow cake with white frosting, with a slice out.

Bottom shelf of fridge is a bowl of strawberries, behind the bowl of strawberries is a Del Monte Can (??? -wait, you're not supposed to put cans in the fridge as storage, right?)

Hey, odd realization! Don't most of those fancy-pants stainless steel fridge ads for today NOT have food in them at all? Gawd, that's WEIRD. "We are so minimalist we don't do food."

Mary 9/15/09, 10:08 AM

The Jello salad was the first thing I saw! lol.

I hate those HGTV shows. They're too pat. How come those people never have glitches like a realtor who doesn't show up or a husband who loses his photo ID right before closing?

The Crazy Suburban Mom 9/15/09, 1:10 PM

Christa- Oh yeah send pics, send pics! And I seriously have to go look for retro redheads, Its sounds familiar. I must have been there. And that reminds me I have a tablecloth outside I have to deal with...sigh.

ladyjane - I think you are right about the stoffers! and the demonte can! And about there being no food in new ads, I never thought about that but your so right! So minimal we dont do food, your so right!

Mary - yes, the shows are all wrapped up in neat little packages. NO problems for the most part and everything pretty much works out. Like that happens, sheeesh!

Kathy B! 9/15/09, 1:12 PM

How fun! I love these posts. Sadly I can't help out with any new spottings...

Vonlipi 9/15/09, 2:02 PM

That fridge belongs to me! I wish I had one! I am so over the stainless steel appliances too! I can't help thinking that one day you'll see a lot on the curb like those harvest yellow and avocado ones!

I can't get over the fact that the food was exposed to air, no saran wrap....What did that jell-o salad really tasted like?

Nichay 9/15/09, 7:20 PM

Where do you find the vintage magazines? I am lovin' that fridge....:).

The Mom (aka Amy) 9/15/09, 8:13 PM

Are those eggs in the freezer??

Pollyanna 9/15/09, 8:32 PM

Who the heck has a refrigerator that looks like that on the inside? Oh, maybe you do after the declutter fest.

And why isn't the cake covered up? You can always be ready for a neighbor to drop by with a neat-as-a-pin house, but please don't offer them any nasty, dried out cake. You'll lose all credibility as Susie Homemaker.

Lidian 9/15/09, 8:39 PM

Tracy - I always want to see what is in the magazine fridges, so this had me shouting YAY! (quietly in my head, though, because heaven knows what the family would think!) - LOVE this!

I usually do this same thing, wake up and start slugging down coffee, and then start going through the ads. That will be my morning tomorrow, I believe.

I love your Retro Tuesdays! :)

The Stylish House 9/15/09, 10:59 PM

Hi Tracy,
Thanks for stopping by my site, it's always fun to meet a new blogger! OMG, this post is a blast from the past. I remember as a kid drinking Tang and eating Space Sticks, a peanut butter concoction in a tube. Very high tech stuff way back in the day!