The Crazy Suburban Mom: Monday Estate Sale Finds

Hobonichi Cousin Planner in my Filofax

Monday, September 7, 2009

Monday Estate Sale Finds

These kitchen towels were an estate sale find. All were part of an end of the sale - Stuff all you can in a bag and we'll give you a price, type thing. These and many other things cost me $5 that day.

kitchen linens 1

They were trying to move what didn't sell. And there was SO much left. I feel sad when I go to sales advertised as 'Digger's Delights'. It's a great place for amazing finds and I know it's silly, but if you go to sales you know how people can be... rooting through things like crazy! Stepping over each other - and stuff - trying to get to everything first. Tossing to the floor what they consider trash.

Like these beautiful linen towel which must be decades old...

002

I've come away from these sales with a few promises to myself. First, the things I get for myself I will treasure. And second, anything I can't keep or don't end up needing I will pass along to other people so I don't end up filling my home with stuff.

vintage linens 3

I was going to sell these but I really love them and once I started using them I noticed that they worked much better than anything I'd bought new. New towels aren't absorbent, I already knew that... I guess I didn't really know towels could be until I started using the old ones. Silly me, right?

vintage linens4

This was in the bag too. I don't know if I will keep it or sell it or give it away. But it seemed too lovely to end up in a landfill somewhere.

008

I don't really know what it is, it's too big for a hankie, too small for
a place mat. But it was lovingly made and deserved a home.

010

I've done counted cross stitch before and all I can say is, Whoa!

010

Migraine Alert.

The next thing I found at a charity thrift shop. When I first saw this for five dollars I thought it was Syracuse China. It's a good price although perhaps I could have done better had I found it elsewhere...At charity shops I just pay, they are doing good work. The platter is marked, Jackson Custom China, Falls Creek, PA, USA

green platter back mark

It's large, but I have to find my tape measure to know exactly how large. It could fit a decent sized turkey - Not a Chernobyl-sized bird - but a decent one.

green restaurant ware platter

And the green is just lovely.

green platter

Shiny like it was new

vintage green platter

With a delicacy of design, lacking in a lot of what I see new...

It's in amazing shape. I hear you can put these in the oven? Is that true.

And a second platter, a bit bigger than the first, back marked...

blue platter

Scammell's Trenton China
Barth Equipment (something I can't read)
New York City for
Harry M. Stevens Inc.
Caterers

Same thrift shop for $10

blue platter

And the pattern is lovely...

013

I'm not sure how much of this I'm keeping (although probably most). But all of it is worthy of a home.

I'm playing along with Southern Hospitality's
Labor Weekend Sales and Finds.
If you like my post she's linked to tons of them!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality 9/7/09, 9:31 AM

Love those platters, great finds. They would be very pretty hanging on the wall until you need them for something.

Love those linen towels too. Not sure why some towels don't absorb well, but I think it might be that some have poly, instead of all cotton. I think the 100% cotton ones are the most absorbent. But, I hate that too when they don't dry well. Thanks for playing!

Lidian 9/7/09, 10:37 AM

Fab finds indeed! I often find that older things work SO much better my old measuring cups and wooden spoons and things that I inherited from my mom - they are the best. You are inspiring me to hit the thrift stores once everyone is back in school (tomorrow!) :)

I LOVE the turkey platters and the tea towels.

@eloh 9/7/09, 10:40 AM

Yep, some of the old stuff is the best. The cross stitch I would guess to have been made for a specific table..like a doilie. You made out good!

Audra 9/7/09, 10:54 AM

What amazing finds. Love those platters. I think the vintage towels would be perfect to display. Thank you for sharing!

The Crazy Suburban Mom 9/7/09, 10:57 AM

Rhoda, Besides these old ones I've only found one kind that dry well - they are called Flour Sack towels from Now Designs and yep, 100 % cotton and BIIIIG! 24 x 36 and the best thing to wrap around wet hair too. But Ive yet to find a terry cloth towel that works well.

Lidian, funny you mention measuring cups. I have a few glass ones and Im really thinking of replacing them with older glass ones. My pampered chef 4 cup spills everytime I try to pour from it. And the small individual ones just are cumbersome. Im sure I can get an old set that works well and is more elegant to use.

Eloh, You know thats probably right. Its such an odd size I bet it was made for something specific...and they design faces out in each direction like it would have to on a table, with an empty middle. Mayba space for a lamp?

The Crazy Suburban Mom 9/7/09, 10:59 AM

Audra - I've been using the towels and they really make me smile when I see them. I'm trying not to get into the 'they are too good to use' thing... I really want to use what I get! But I am trying to get my family to not wipe up spaghetti sauce with them!!

Sue 9/7/09, 1:12 PM

I really like the large green platter! It would look good hanging as a wall display until you needed it. Your cotton towels have so much character in their design. I agree that 100% cotton is the best to use as a drying cloth. It's nice to know we both got good deals on on PC items. I don't think I've ever seen your particular baker. But then, I haven't bought much of the line since my girlfriend stopped carrying the line. Oh yes, how I know the guilt thing as far as buying the stuff goes... LOL Thanks for paying a visit. Hope you'll be back again.
:-) Sue

Wendy 9/7/09, 1:24 PM

That green plate is really pretty!

The Queen of Fifty Cents 9/7/09, 2:32 PM

You will love those towels! I picked up a bunch three or four years ago and have been drying dishes with them ever since. And I just used 2 of them to recover a lamp!

Leanne 9/7/09, 2:39 PM

You did amazing! I'm so jealous of all those towels. I've been hunting for some for a while. Good job! Love those platters too.

Rhonda in OK 9/7/09, 3:46 PM

great towels - those old fashioned "tea towels" work much better than terry cloth towels.

the pretty cross stich piece was probably a dresser scarf.

Debbie 9/7/09, 3:53 PM

Nice finds! Those older towels look great, it's hard to find good absorbent towels. Love the platters too.Thanks for dropping by my blog, hope you'll visit again! :0)

chicamom85 9/7/09, 5:36 PM

What fun. Those are great finds. I love this kind of shopping.

Anne

Beach Vintage 9/7/09, 9:18 PM

Great finds, I can see those old linen towels as pillow cases....Thanks so much for dropping by Beach Vintage and leaving a comment.

Mary 9/8/09, 10:40 AM

Those tea towels are great! I love vintage linenes. :)

I think the cross stitched thingie is for a centerpiece on the table.

Looks like you had a great Labor Day!

Kathy B! 9/8/09, 2:22 PM

I love this! I collect old linen dish towels. I love the old vintage look and feel... Awesome finds :)

Debbie 9/8/09, 7:31 PM

What lovely finds. And you are right. They all deserve a home.

mama-face 9/9/09, 10:16 AM

Oh, yes, I agree. Those are real finds. Love love the towels.