The Crazy Suburban Mom: Like a Virgin Declutter Blog Hop

Friday, September 11, 2009

Like a Virgin Declutter Blog Hop

Just got home from donating five bags of books and two boxes of kitchenalia to The Visiting Nurse Association of Somerset County for their annual rummage sale (here) and, Swear to Our Lady of the Unholy Mess, I feel like 37 pounds thinner. I don't know what it is about decluttering that makes me feel shiny and new but, no kidding, I'm this close to breaking into the 80's classic, Like a Virgin.

All week I've been going through my things fretting about what I wanted to give away and bagging it and fretting about what I wanted to keep because did I have room?

I spent so much time on each item; worrying, How am I going to feel when I give this away? And ultimately putting it in a bag but feeling like I was bagging up a puppy with big sad eyes and floppy ears. No kidding, all week I felt like I was choosing one sad-eyed puppy over another. And these were things that, I mean I hadn't looked at in years. Why the angst?

So today I got there and everyone was all, Thank you so much for braving this rainy day and, Oh, so many bags! Thanks for your support and it felt good and didn't feel like a puppy bagger anymore. I stopped being all emotional about the 'things'... things I didn't need but someone else might. And certainly things that the VNA needs for their fund-raising efforts.

Once I got home I just felt much lighter and I saw many things I should have added to the bags the first time around. I'm going to declutter all week-end.

I'm going in. Want to join me?

delcutter day

Declutter one thing or a room. Throw out one useless piece of paper...

or a ton of junk. But free yourself of something this week-end!

Pollyanna 9/11/09, 5:01 PM

I'm in. I need to get rid of some stuff; although, I'm more the sell it kind of gal. Hello Craigslist! I'll link up with my adventures in decluttering, after I go out and actually have an adventure. Those stinkers are keeping me at work right now - kind of hard to declutter the home from the office, huh?

@eloh 9/11/09, 5:13 PM

I'm in.....good lord have mercy...I'm in.

The Crazy Suburban Mom 9/11/09, 5:26 PM

OH YAY! Two so far joining me!

Polly - I hear you and hey, me too.. Ive got stuff listed on ebay right now. Its not that I don't sell its just that I can't sell everything, or its just too overwhelming to sell it all, some I've tried to sell and cant, etc.

eloh! Yay! Decluttering does a body good!

blueviolet 9/11/09, 5:32 PM

I just did this last week too and I feel so much better! I'm pretty sure I have more I could be doing but I need a break because that was intense!

lisa 9/12/09, 8:59 AM

I'm in a constant state of declutter and giving away. My biggest problem is leaving little piles of paper, mail, etc. all over the house. I think is't more of a comfort thing.

Good to know you're feeling lighter and helped a good cause.

Jen 9/12/09, 7:00 PM

I'll join in. I "declutter" daily especially since the kids have gone back to school. I have a bag in the back of my truck that needs to go to Goodwill. I was going to drop it off this morning while I was in town but something told me to wait, lol.

Lidian 9/13/09, 12:12 PM

I would be in, but alas, busy with school forms and renovations etc etc this weekend - if you do a repeat, I'll join in for sure (goodness knows I need to)

Happy decluttering!

Debbie 9/13/09, 9:09 PM

I have been going room by room trying to declutter. It's a constant struggle, isn't it?

JUST ME, THE MOM 9/13/09, 10:55 PM

I'm with you on this one - although you couldn't tell right now by opening my closet door - they certainly are a danger zone at the moment. But you've just inspired me and I'm heading for a closet right now. It will be one down and 20 to go. But I'm excited!

Kristin

Toronto Yardsaler 9/14/09, 9:54 PM

Hey there CSM. I really like your blog. You've got an eye for finding gorgeous vintage objects. I like so much of the same stuff as yourself. I'm a crazy urban mother, so I can relate to that too. It's better to be crazy than boring.
I'll link to my little blog and I'll be back here for visits.
All the best,