The Crazy Suburban Mom: Bad mom

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Bad mom

Know what happens when your kid is sick away from home?

You tell your sick child to get in his car and drive home because home is where
the closest provider is and the out-of-network deductible is one thousand dollars.

I wish I could have told him, Find the nearest doctor, Sweetheart and stay in bed until you feel well. I wish I could have said, Money is no problem, don't worry about it. Just ask someone at school who's good. Find a nice, kindly doctor who can see you today and a pharmacy that delivers any medicine you need and while your at it have them add some puzzle books to the order since they are delivering anyway.

And oh! Baby, find a deli to deliver you chicken soup, too.

Instead I had to tell him, Sweetheart I don't even have a car to come get you because it died on Springfield Avenue in New Providence the other day and I can't even come get you so get in your car and drive all the way home to see your doctor here. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. And I'll try and scrounge up the co-pay before you arrive.

And bring your laundry. At least I can do that for you.

Somehow it's just not enough.

goodmom

Pollyanna 9/22/09, 12:15 PM

Oh, that's a tough situation.

If it makes you feel any better, I would have done the same thing.

Kathy B! 9/22/09, 12:35 PM

That just sucks. But even though they have to come home you'll be there and that's probably much more conforting than being sick at school.

Lynette 9/22/09, 2:26 PM

Your right we want to do it all...but this is an education. That even when we are ill we still have to do things that are not always easy. So look at it as a growing exercise.

chicamom85 9/22/09, 3:18 PM

You are a good Mom doing your best in a tough world.

Anne

Days of Whine & Noses 9/22/09, 4:16 PM

We moms are our toughest critics, aren't we? How is he?

Deb 9/22/09, 10:46 PM

I would have done the same thing, unless the school had "health services," and I would have told him to go there. We had a campus doc at my college who could deal with most common illnesses and the visits were covered by tuition. You could also go in with a cold and walk out with a bag full of free (well, paid for by tuition) OTC meds like Tylenol and cough drops. Oh, how I missed it after graduation!

But seriously, $1,000 copay is INSANE. I'd have had him walk home if necessary.

Kimberly Kihega 9/23/09, 10:23 AM

Sorry for such a tough situation. You are doing the best you can! I hope all goes well with you guys! Best of luck!

Chef Eureka 9/23/09, 5:12 PM

Mom's are a tough bunch :) Good mom's try and then they learn. It's the best they can do :)

@eloh 9/24/09, 12:03 PM

With the things that have happened in my life... this is too painful a situation to even contemplate.