The Crazy Suburban Mom: Thrifting SCORE!

Monday, August 31, 2009

Thrifting SCORE!

I haven't done a Yard Sale SCORE! in a while and I've found some great things in the last few months...

012

Butterfly Gold (I think it's called) Pyrex fridge dishes,
gravy boat and plate (for said boat). I think I paid $1.50
for all of these, maybe less... If you like this pattern, you're in luck!
It doesn't seem overly popular on eBay for most pieces
so prices aren't crazy. I listed these and they didn't even sell. Go figure.

Fire king made a lot of things in a pattern called Soreno. I think that is what
the next thing is. It's not a very popular Fire King pattern but I found this
small gold dish that goes with my kitchen and a green ashtray I keep outside.

010

It might have been called a berry bowl, not sure about the size though. This
pattern can be had cheap on eBay, it doesn't seem popular at all. I paid less
than a dollar at a thrift store.

Now this is something I don't usually buy but these were there
the last three times I went to the thrift store and I finally broke down.
I bought all three dishes and four cups and broke one cup washing it.

006

The plates are marked Colorcraft the cups aren't marked. I was going
to sell them but I'm thinking of keeping them and trying to find more.
They are really retro heaven and I'm sick (SICK!) about breaking a cup.

Diner Ware? Restaurant Ware? Ever heard of it? I hadn't
until I ran across all these cups and bought them all for, I
think 75 cents each? When I looked them up there are tons
of people already collecting them. Most are by Syracuse China.

009

and

008

and

007

I had planned on selling these but I don't think I can.
They feel so good in your hand and they are lovely. Simply designed.

Just lovely.

And these glasses... Oh my!

I found three large ones and three shot glasses and it was love
at first sight. These glasses may be my favorite thrift purchase in
the history of thrift purchases! I'm never going to sell these.

Never, never, never... And I don't even do shots.

And as to these?

014

I found four and I can't part with the Florida Retro Pink Flamingo Glasses
either. Luckily my family is enchanted with both sets of glasses...

All is well on the glassware front.

A departure from the kitchen things is a Dooney and Bourke
briefcase from the 80's I think that I picked up for $20. I needed
a laptop case because I am giving mine to my son.

011

And this retailed for (omg!) over $300 as crazy as that seems, and it's in
mad-great shape. I feel like yard sale karma was with me Saturday!

Don't know if I'm the only one with a thing for buttons, I've
never posted buttons before but here goes!

aqua buttons

Buttons used to be distinctive...

vintage hat shaped button

Sculptural like art...

large vintage flower buttons

Carved like gems...

vintage green buttons

Or simply beautiful...

But there was a level of pride in design associated with them that is missing today.

franstarbursts

Got a Technorati Claimed blog and want some link love?

Comment in any of my posts.
Include a link to a post where you put a link to my blog.
I will add a link in this post to your blog like this
Crazy Suburban Mom

Want to see other peoples finds?

Check out

ColoradoLady

Southern Hospitality

Yard sale finds! You will find hers and many others there!
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Vonlipi 8/31/09, 8:07 AM

I know, i know I'm supposed to be on vacation, but I couldn't resist stopping by....Love all your finds! Great thrifting karma!

The Crazy Suburban Mom 8/31/09, 8:22 AM

Yeah, I thought you were on vacay! But than there are no vacay's were thrifting is concerned. The thrifters never sleep :)

These are some of my favorite things ever.. The mugs and cups I love. I will probably have to pitch some of my store bought cups to accommodate them but its well worth it...

Embellish-Vintage Home Embellishments 8/31/09, 8:44 AM

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am so glad you did. It gave me the opportunity to stop by your blog. I am a huge button fan. You found some beautiful ones. Great luck.

Lidian 8/31/09, 11:10 AM

{Wiping dribble off keyboard) I LOVE all the things you found! Oh my goodness. Love the flamingo glass especially but...man, now I want to go thrifting RIGHT NOW and look for kitchenware. And magazines and postcards and glassware! I am so happy for you, yay!! :)

Debbie 8/31/09, 12:30 PM

Great finds! I particularly like that Fire King bowl.

chicamom85 8/31/09, 12:46 PM

I am such a sucker for old pyrex. I am going to go searching soon myself. I just got my kitchen painted and it is beautiful shades of oranges. It might sound weird but trust me, it is really pretty. Now I need some cool pyrex to go with it.

Anne

The Crazy Suburban Mom 8/31/09, 1:58 PM

Lidian, Debbie, Anne.... I found such great thing recently although I admit I went out lots of times and came back with nothing!

But yeah on the glasses and mugs, but those glasses are totally not replaceable. I have a feeling the mugs are around lots of places but the cups are never going to happen again!

Happy Hour...Somewhere 8/31/09, 4:16 PM

I so want those glasses~! My sister lives in a home with original tile in the kitchen that reminds me of these glasses. Are they coppery and turquoise? What a score.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality 8/31/09, 4:36 PM

Thanks for joining the party this week, so nice to meet you too! I love all your finds, you did really good. I found some old Pyrex a few weeks ago.

Next time you join the party, please leave a link back to my party post, that's the only thing I ask! Thanks!

The Crazy Suburban Mom 8/31/09, 4:45 PM

Happy Hour - the are goldish coppery.. and turquoise yes. i got them at the same sale I got the flamingo glasses... I was late to the sale and everyone had passed these up, some people have zero taste! man.

Rhonda - already done, sorry I omitted a link to you!

TheClayMuse 8/31/09, 5:41 PM

those are some wickedly awesome finds.. those gold fridge dishes... my gram has used one of those exact dishes as her sugar dish on the counter for as long as I can remember!

L. 8/31/09, 7:39 PM

Trace, that's an incredible haul! GREAT things, some so unusual!
but you're KEEPING IT ALL?

aha, i'm guessing we won't have to wait long for your next Declutterfest!!! :))

The Crazy Suburban Mom 8/31/09, 8:10 PM

L, I hadn't intended on keeping it all, actually I think all of the buttons are gone already. I tried to sell the pyrex - but no one bid on it. No idea why I may try and list that again.

The glasses have to stay, they are fab and I really didn't know what to do with them, left them in my van for a while and out of no where a few of the glasses I had broke...so I decided to keep these.

The mugs, well... I've decided to move the 'new' mugs over to another closet and declutter them out soon.

As for the briefcase, bens taking mine so thats going :)

Leilani 9/1/09, 4:48 PM

Yay for buttons! I also love the fabric (?) in the background of the photos. Those aqua & gold glasses are amazing. Restaurantware is great, I usually pick up mugs when I find them-- they're pretty much indestructible. :)

Wendy 9/1/09, 8:59 PM

Ok, drool!! I love the Pyrex! I have a mug in that pattern. I am COMPLETELY jealous over that retro cup! Is it Temporama? It looks like it. I have one lonely plate in that pattern, and nothing else.

The buttons are great, too!

The Crazy Suburban Mom 9/2/09, 3:11 PM

wendy I think the cup is temporama, it looked like the ones I saw on ebay with that pattern. And I BROKE ONE!!! I had 4, now three. Im a bit ill.

Ulla 9/3/09, 6:28 AM

So many lovely things you have there! The cups and the buttons are my favourites.

~~Carol~~ 9/3/09, 9:33 AM

Wow, tons of retro loveliness! I love restaurant ware, and just saw an article on it that makes me want to start collecting. The Colorcraft pieces are great too. Love it all! Going to check out the rest of your blog now!
Happy VTT!

Sarah 9/3/09, 9:56 AM

Love, love those buttons! And those flamingo glasses are just too much. Great finds!!

Happy Cottage Quilter 9/3/09, 10:11 AM

I've got one of those plates that belonged to my Mom. And I love restaurant dishes. I did a post about them a few days ago. Please stop by and take a look :-)

Jocelyn

Coloradolady 9/3/09, 11:41 AM

OMG. I love your post. I love those cups...the restaurant ware. I just recently got rid of my everyday dishes and have purchased several sets of restaurant ware and we are using it for everyday..my daughter got mad..said our house was not Luby's. Ha Ha..but my husband and I love them. I LOVE those cups...they are just wonderful!! And girl...I love those buttons. I have lots of buttons and always buy more. I even bought a top at Goodwill, very vintage and took the buttons off and kept just the buttons, they were that great!! Have a great weekend and a Happy VTT!!

JEWELGIRL 9/3/09, 3:32 PM

I just love the atomic drink ware too! The buttons
are terrific too! All of these items are my kind of thrifting finds! You lucky gal! :) Happy VTT!

PlantSomeRoots@Lakewood 9/3/09, 5:09 PM

Wow...lots of good vintage finds at fantastic prices. I think we all have way too much fun with our addictions!
Thanks for sharing!
Living it up Lakewood,
Cindy

Candace 9/3/09, 6:26 PM

Great stuff! I've never seen the Fire King in gold - I'll have to keep my eye out for it!
Cheers!

Roslyn 9/3/09, 7:35 PM

I am mad with envy of your Dooney &
Bourke bag, wow,wow,wow.

Bea 9/3/09, 8:48 PM

My grandma had the atomic glasses. Love your buttons.

Esther 9/4/09, 4:24 AM

Thanks for stopping by my blog. It was great to see yours. I particularly love the old ads.

lost_n_thought 9/17/09, 5:06 PM

Those atomic glasses are just IT! So lucky!! Way to go!