The Crazy Suburban Mom: Retro Tuesday in the Kitchen

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Retro Tuesday in the Kitchen

retrotuesay stamp

My original thought on seeing that stack of vintage magazines at an estate sale back in June was , I bet there are a lot of old Pyrex ads. The weird thing is, there weren't. I mean weren't any. At all. I've gone over and over those magazines, and while I found a Pyrex thing or two placed in a kitchen-scape here or there, I didn't find a single ad for Pyrex.

Last week I bought a few Good Housekeeping magazines from the 50's - 60's and was looking at them this morning for my Retro Tuesday post and Our Lady of Pyrex must have been watching over me because look what I found!

pyrexad1

And her little sister!

pyrexad

I call these juice carafes but seems they are called beverage servers. I've never seen these in person or seen anything in this patten. I don't know if it was limited to beverage servers or if it was on other things? Any one seen this before?

The other thing I found was an ad that allowed you to buy one place setting of silverware at a time. It is something that seems so spot-on during a time before people put everything they bought on credit cards. Maybe companies should reconsider that approach.

silverware

And I absolutely love this pattern.

silverware1

If I could find this at a sale, I would so buy it.

I have one more thing this week. One of the Good Housekeeping magazines was much earlier than the others, coming from 1943. While the ones from the 50's and 60's had money-saving tips and tricks there were a lot of things to do with your disposable income as well. A lot of the focus was on new homes, new things, convenience foods and a general attitude of tossing out the old.

The magazine from the 40's was really different. A lot of ads centered around the war effort (world war 2) and rationing and the cooking was quite a bit like the depression era cooking I'd seen in books and on websites. This was a two-page food bulletin on how to use your food rations wisely. To me, the recipes look a little more interesting than pure depression era cooking from twenty years prior; which had almost no spices.

I'm including it, not just as a time capsule, but because times are tough and while, yes, these recipes are dated, some could be a springboard for something that might be tasty and thrifty today. I know these meals don't have the complex flavors people are used to but the truth is most kids don't like those flavors and might just be happier with some of these. With a little modern tweaking.

I made these images small but if you click them you will get large, readable views.

If you want to use any of the ads I post I'm cool with that but please link back to me
The Crazy Suburban Mom

Vonlipi 8/18/09, 9:00 AM

That is so strange that there are no Pyrex ads. I've seen it myself. Whenever I look at a vintage mag I look for those ads, but I never find any!

The Crazy Suburban Mom 8/18/09, 9:10 AM

Yeah, what is up with that? It's funny what there are no ads for. Although I guess maybe for lower end stuff they just didn't market. And pyrex was considered lower end stuff. There were ads for appliances and rugs and oddly, water heaters... and things that were 'new' for the time... but its not like now where everyone advertised every single thing.

MoonDoggie 8/18/09, 9:23 AM

My mum has cutlery with that (or a similar)star pattern and I love it too. I doubt very much its a complete set though as our cutlery drawer was always a hodgepodge of various eating implements thrust together. Next time I visit, I'll count them.

L 8/18/09, 9:25 AM

Trace, LOVE the flatware but the recipes, not so much. So while I VOM a little in my mouth, what if YOU try macaroni with cabbage...paprika spaghetti...and macaroni with peanut butter (OMG, there's toasted bread in that recipe, erp!) out on Ben and report back. ;)

illahee 8/18/09, 9:36 AM

those beverage servers are pretty!

Kathy B! 8/18/09, 10:30 AM

Some of those recipes are DISGUSTING. Blech. I guess there's a reason they aren't old family favorites from our youth!

I love the flatware though.

Jeve (aka John and Steve) 8/18/09, 10:42 AM

I love Retro Tuesdays...great finds CSM!

icedteaforme 8/18/09, 10:51 AM

I have some great old radio shows on CD, promoting ration usage and recipes, all oddly kraft heavy since it was the kraft radio hour, lol....I think magazines of this era were luxury items themselves, most households were still growing some of their own food and buying as little as possible, at least that is our family history, That peanut butter pasta is wild! there is also that great cookbook of the era how to cook a wolf by mfk fisher, which again only the well to do would have had! love this post and am surprised to see curry and paprika!

Mary 8/18/09, 11:36 AM

I found a couple Good Housekeeping magazines from the 50's and 60's. I was cracking up at the ways to keep your husband happy. Apparently, if you twirl your hair - it will make him want to either divorce you or jump out of an airplane with no parachute. Just a heads up.

Lidian 8/18/09, 11:56 AM

These are terrific ads! And thank you, I might use some of them, and will absolutely link back to you! :) In fact, will put you on my blogroll as soon as I get to the Great Blogroll Renovation Project (long overdue, and running late, like any renovation)

The Crazy Suburban Mom 8/18/09, 12:09 PM

I know, I know some of the recipes are odd by today's standards but I didn't mean to use them as is...more drop off some of the gross ingredients and substitute with something more timely.

As to the peanut butter spaghetti. So funny, see I thought that looked more vile than anything else...yet so many people eat sesame noodles or chicken sate, which usually is made with peanut butter. Cant eat either... I thought people would be all over them.

L. 8/18/09, 3:12 PM

Tracy, mi amiga, I love sesame noodles and chicken sate. I actually had pad thai for lunch today, which has noodles and peanuts. But those recipes are not like that at all. For one thing, they don't include two pieces of toast (VOM)!!!!!
But hey, they help make your Retro Tuesdays rock so yay for the disgusting recipes!

Pollyanna (formerly the Laughing Idiot) 8/18/09, 5:59 PM

A. I thought those carafes were for syrup.

B. I have one spoon that has that pattern on it - weird.

chicamom85 8/18/09, 6:02 PM

I love retro Tuesday, its one of my favorites of your. Thanks.

Anne