The Crazy Suburban Mom: I bought my first pair of shorts, ever...No matter what PETA says...

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I bought my first pair of shorts, ever...No matter what PETA says...

So today, this afternoon I bought my first pair of shorts. I've never bought a pair of shorts before. I'm serious. I just twittered that and someone asked me if it was a religious thing.

I had to admit that no, it was just a stupid thing about how much I hated my body. I haven't worn shorts since that boy called me an elephant when I was 10.

So yes, I know I'm normally pretty light and fluffy with the topics here, and forgive me, but weight isn't all that light and fluffy a topic for me. And how odd a choice of words anyway, light and fluffy on the subject of weight.

And this post is sort of a cathartic thing I need to do and I have a feeling I'm going to delete it anyway.

I spent a good part of my life overweight to some extent. The thing is I spent quite a lot of that not all that overweight just feeling really, really fat. Or maybe just really, really big? And is it the same?

I'm tall, I was either the tallest kid in my class, or almost. Thinking back to those beginning of the year horrifying height and weight checks in school there were many years I was within 10 or 30 pounds of thin.

So why? Why all the angst?

The only thing I can look to is my family. Not in a blaming way, exactly...but listen. My mother was 5' 3" tall and never weighed more than 110 pounds in her life. My sister is no taller than that and I don't think she's ever broke 100 pounds. Neither of them had much of an interest in food. They would forget to eat, were picky... I don't know. Food just didn't do it for them.

Than there was me. I was taller than and outweighed my mother by the time I was 10. Food was a comfort for me. A friend. My mother simply didn't know what to do with me. Her plan, and I'm guessing here because she certainly never told me this, was to buy the things my sister liked to get her to eat and not buy the things that I liked to hopefully keep me from eating. And getting bigger.

But you probably know the end of that tale because that kind of thing never works. It makes you feel deprived. It makes you feel unloved. It burns the fat identity into you.

And it really does take many years to undo that stuff..

But I guess with a little introspection, and some effort you can come out on the other side of it wearing a new pair of shorts.

At least that's the plan.

By the way, have you seen Peta's new campaign?

WhaleBB

This came off Peta's website. Their theory is that if you stop eating meat you will have a "killer beach bod". Their words.

And I wonder why I never owned a pair of shorts?

Vonlipi 8/18/09, 3:15 PM

Congrats! Wear them proudly!

@eloh 8/18/09, 4:34 PM

I don't wear shorts and have never purchased a pair in my life....I have chicken legs and I'm six foot.

But, if I had some and they bunched up on me real bad, I go to Wally World and feel right at home.

Stacie's Madness 8/18/09, 4:50 PM

yes, wear them and enjoy!

L. 8/18/09, 4:53 PM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ladyjanewriter 8/18/09, 5:36 PM

Gee, way for PETA to be a-holes about it.

I hate to be persnickety about it, but there are plenty of proud fat vegans, too.

Enjoy your new shorts! I salute them! Hey, Nickelodeon can have a show about that...waitaminit.

L. 8/18/09, 5:50 PM

Congratulations! Shorts are so comfy!

I originally said next stop: bikini -- but that was before you added that tasteless PETA add to your post.
I usually LOVE their advertising but this one manages to be both stupid AND mean.

The Crazy Suburban Mom 8/18/09, 6:05 PM

Thanks everyone, I guess I'll leave the post up...I wasnt sure.

I was shocked about the peta campaign and as ladyjane notes, I know plenty of fat vegetarians as well. I as one for 7 years, and the first 7 months of my pregnancy and gained a ton.

What bothers me is fatness is like one of the last things its okay to make fun of? And why?

It wouldnt be okay to make fun of any other group like this would it?

tracy

Mamatoosi 8/18/09, 6:40 PM

Oh my gosh, I can't believe such bigotry is coming from an organization like PETA. Eating meat does NOT necessarily make you fat, and NOT eating meat is certainly not going to guarantee that you're thin. I was a vegetarian for many years and, not being a great cook or nutritionist, I didn't do well at getting balanced foods in me and enough protein to give me energy and iron. I became iron deficient and I craved sugar like mad. You wouldn't believe all the chocolate I ate in college. OK, maybe you would, but the point I'm really trying to make is not eating meat does not equal being healthy, nor does being thin. Grr. OK, I'll step off my soap box now. :)

Mommyof2girlz 8/18/09, 7:14 PM

Wow what an awful pitch from PETA! And sorry but I know many vegans/vegetarians that are NOT skinny, so their theory sucks as much as that campaign!
Congrats on your new shorts, enjoy them, live in them and then buy more! :)

Lizz 8/18/09, 8:08 PM

I would tell PETA to suck it, but I'm not part of a vegan diet.

Congrats on the shorts. I too, have worn jeans most of my life and I don't won shorts. Earlier years it was because I am sooo pale and can't tan. Now it's because my legs are....uh....ample.

Brooke 8/18/09, 10:07 PM

Ugh, that PETA campaign is horrible. You're right on the money - why is it OK to discriminate against people who are overweight??

You go with your new shorts! I know how you feel, though, I'm all about the capris.

Lidian 8/18/09, 10:40 PM

Hurray for the new shorts, and for you!

Venti Vixen 8/19/09, 12:12 AM

Congrats on the shorts, you are beautiful and PETA can suck it!

I am Harriet 8/19/09, 8:25 AM

OMG! Who the he#$ cares what anyone else thinks? Everyone has something- cellulite, veins, orange tan, stupidity- whatever. You wear your shorts and be proud that you've got legs! Be happy about who you are.

Mary 8/19/09, 8:31 AM

I always thought I was fat as a kid. Looking back I was nowhere near fat. But, like you, I was one of the tallest in the class. And those "health fairs" where they weighed us in front of everyone were the worst thing ever! Until I got to junior high when the gym teacher lined us all up in our bras, took out her stupid little fat micrometer and pinched us with it in front of everyone and announced our body fat to her helper to record for posterity in front of everyone.

Then, in college, I really did get fat. But I took off 70 pounds in my mid-20's. I've kept all but about 5-10 (I fluctuate a lot) off - even after having a kid and turning 30.

Stephanie Reed 8/19/09, 2:18 PM

Bless you. Wear them in good health. I wear shorts, but I admit I was out sweating one off in jeans less than an hour ago before I changed into shorts.

I've had a long-time pet peeve about health reports on the news ("This just in! Americans are obese!!!!"), which feature sneaky shots of people in restaurants or walking down the street. Camera people apparently don't need permission to film if they leave out the person's face, so they focus from the neck down. Argh! We know what overweight looks like. When you do these reports, TV news people, can you be original? Stop with the stealth filming.