The Crazy Suburban Mom: Why it's Retro Tuesday again!

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Why it's Retro Tuesday again!

retrotuesay

I awoke before the crack of dawn and pulled out my stack of estate sale magazines. Even though I've looked at them dozens of times in the last few weeks they never get old. Well, they are old but y'all know what I mean. They are fascinating.

Today I noticed how empty the kitchens looked in late 40's - 50's advertising. At first I thought photo-stylists hadn't yet been invented or advertising wasn't all that sophisticated but you know what I think it is?

The tolerance we have for visual clutter is just so much higher now. Granted there is more disposable income - although now, not so much - but I think 60 years ago people bought what they needed and shopping wasn't an activity.

The first ad is from a House Beautiful, 1961 and the main cover story was a 52 page spread on Remodeling, Adding, and Restoring. There were a fair amount of color ads in this issue. The bulk of print advertising I've been seeing is black and white but perhaps an issue on remodeling got advertisers to put up the big bucks for color.

My Retro Tuesday ad is for Frigidaire Dishwashers and I love the color. I spent a lot of happy childhood time in a kitchen with a dishwasher this color. My best friend's mom loved aqua and this was the color of her appliances and kitchen chairs.

It wasn't only the dishwasher that got to me. All that stuff in the dishwasher started releasing my endorphins like a loading dose of zoloft. If I could find all those plates, cups and what-nots I'd adopt them all, give them names and call them my children.

frididairead

In case you were wondering about it; I do look at the black and white ads. Here is one from the same magzine to prove it.

Forgive me.

I'm so sorry.

minutehygein

I can't quite get a handle on what you do with this, exactly. Although, I do get what you do with this, generally. And to the dudes who made this thing? You have to mount it on your wall? How awful would that moment of conversation be for your children to explain to their friends?

Anyway.

The written description sort of made sense in a disturbing, creepy sorta way. But when I examined the picture I couldn't make any sense at all of the knobs, dials, hoses and accouterments.

Near as I can figure you can give yourself an enema while douching and simultaneously bathe your baby.

Christa 7/14/09, 9:41 AM

Who washes their baby over a toilet and with the same thing they just washed their hoo-ha with?

The Crazy Suburban Mom 7/14/09, 9:42 AM

Christa - yeah really. Scary to think anyone did, hope my mom didnt.

tracy

Vonlipi 7/14/09, 10:40 AM

That is a scary piece of equipment! Isn't funny that advertisers always want to make us think that our girly parts need cleaning? And that we don't shit enough? And that our house is stinky?

Oh by the way! I'm sending the rain back, I don't like it anymore!

The Crazy Suburban Mom 7/14/09, 11:24 AM

Vonlipi - The maxi pad and tampon ads are pretty darn good bizarre. Also there is some douche I keep seeing ads for that sounds like it could be used to clean barnacles off war ships... and some powder to use.. I can't remember, on your maxi pads I think. Maybe I need to make one post of all of these.

Buckeroomama 7/14/09, 11:28 AM

"..you can give yourself an enema while douching and simultaneously bathe your baby"

That got a loud snort out of me, heh. :)

(P.S. When it finally dawned on me that the guard thought that I'd dyed my children's hair, I was almost speechless!)

@eloh 7/14/09, 11:37 AM

Jeez, I thought it was a can opener. I stick to the old stand by whore bath, just a quick rag in the right places, but thanks anyway.

The Crazy Suburban Mom 7/14/09, 11:39 AM

Buckeroo - Yeah really on the dying your kids hair!!

And eloh - for all I know it opens cans too!

The Laughing Idiot 7/14/09, 12:08 PM

I love the "partial-bathing" use.

I've got an entire post on enemas - very funny (at least I think so):

JennyMac 7/14/09, 3:32 PM

hmmm...I think there is quite a bit more to this machine than female "hygiene" WOW. Baby cleanse and douche at one time..even I am not that much of a multi-tasker...

Anna See 7/14/09, 5:45 PM

i love old ads, too! that one device is super freaky.

WhisperingWriter 7/14/09, 6:09 PM

I wonder if that dishwasher was really that easy to move? Nothing seems that easy. We have a chest that said it was easy to move on the box but yeah...there is no moving that thing..

illahee 7/14/09, 6:30 PM

oh, look at that dishwasher. i think i have dishwasher envy! LOL

The Mom (aka Amy) 7/14/09, 8:06 PM

I love that you can move that dishwasher around. I could do dishes in the backyard if I so desired.

Now that second thing frightens me. I am probably going to have nightmares.

M.M.E. 7/24/09, 1:41 PM

Hahaha. Those are great ads! I always love seeing the vintage ads that sell something we've since forgotten about or didn't even know existed.