The Crazy Suburban Mom: Is a perfect purse too much to ask for?

Friday, July 24, 2009

Is a perfect purse too much to ask for?

I only like shoulder breaking, disk rupturing, purses. It's a sickness.

And ridiculous, as I've been told it's bad for me... but I want to carry everything I own. I get nervous about little, stylish purses. The little ones are like walking into a bathroom and seeing there isn't quite enough toilet paper. And I look at the roll thinking, Well, it's probably enough but what if it's not because by than I'm sitting there with my butt and everything else all hanging and can't get more?

I don't want a purse that makes me feel like my butt and everything else is hanging out. I want one that if filled would hurt me.

The search for the perfect purse is arduous and one that most woman never fully realize. I've bought everything from teeny organizer bags to cavernous totes only to be disappointed. Too small, too stiff, not enough sections, too many sections, straps too short, too heavy... There are as many things that can go wrong as their are purses.

I'm wondering what everyone's favorite purses are?

My current perfect purse is the Vera Bradley's Large Tic Tac Tote. It's nice and big (15¼” x 13¼” x 4¾” ) actually really big and will hurt me if filled, so I try to keep the load reasonable. (I really try.) Something about the girly fabrics keep the large purses from looking like a leviathan. And I like that.

They had a 3-day sale at the beginning of the week and I ordered my second Tic Tac Tote in the color I've been coveting since it came out in January, Green Cupcakes.

cupcake2

Till than the only thing I had in Green Cupcakes was this...

cupcake5

It goes on my key chain, the zip ID case I got for Mother's Day.

What's everyone's favorite purse and why? I'm open to exploring new purse horizons. Plus I know there are tons of organizing gadgets and whatnots out there for organizing purses... do any of them work really well?

Christa 7/24/09, 7:38 AM

I'm keeping my eyes on the Daisy Daisy Baby Bag, because come December it can double as my Diaper Bag and my purse. Vera Bradley is havin a HUGE sale right now too...you might to check it out.
I know Daisy Daisy isn't a new pattern, but I bought some black market fabric on ebay last year and made a wipe case with the fabric and I love it, so I kind of wanted to have the diaper bag to match it.

The Crazy Suburban Mom 7/24/09, 9:03 AM

Christa, I love that pattern. Thats one of the ones I love best. When I bought my other (only other) bag it was between that one, peacock and cambridge...all in the blue/greens... Those are my favorite colors. I got cambridge because they had the bag style I wanted at the mall store - I probably would have gotten one of the other two as a first choice. But I love the one I got and havent regretted it. It turned out to be a good choice since cupcakes is bright, now I have a subtler bag too. I just went and looked and the bag you want is on sale, huh? :)

beth 7/24/09, 9:29 AM

i always carry really big bags (i still have two in diapers, so i like a pocketbook that fits a couple of diapers, wipes and a few sippy cups). it is a little bit of a sickness. i am on a constant quest for the perfect bag because i typically like "tote" shaped bags (you know rectangular and upright) but i really love a cross body bag which leaves my hands free. this is NOT an easily found bag. sigh.

Christa 7/24/09, 9:33 AM

yeah it is on sale...but I'm waiting becuase I found one on Ebay and I want to see if I can get it for cheaper. It's new with the tags and comes with the changing pad. I'm a dealer hunter thru and thru.

icedteaforme 7/24/09, 11:10 AM

ooo I am a mega purse person, and most manufacturers seem to call them handbags, how annoying! I found my perfect purse, sadly only bought one, now discontinued...has a side pocket that will fit a water bottle, toddler sippy cup or just sunglasses without invading the interior! my husband calls it a magic purse, holds way more than it looks like or feels, it is super light and berry in color, made by overland equipment, and made in California! the closest purse to what I carry now is this one from a discount retailer http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Product.aspx?baseno=1302T&cdf=SimilarProduct

and I am thinking i need to buy it just for a perfect backup......my purse collection has many lovely items, fossil, michael kors, kate spade, vintage

I have discovered since having a child, I prefer zippers and my poerfect bag has two top zippers, so you can open it either direction,seems simple, but makes such a difference, then it has this adjustable strap that fits perfectly on the stroller.....wish I would have bought 3 of them!
the manufacturer sells direct and also has 8dollar purses on their website!
www.overlandequipment.com

thanks for this great post, I was so happy to see I am not the only purse crazed woman!

The Crazy Suburban Mom 7/24/09, 12:00 PM

Beth, YES! Long straps - me too and almost impossible to find on big bags, which I don't get.

Christa - Sometimes you can get a good deal on ebay. Before I got the tote in cambridge I got it in the villager model but it wasnt quite big enough and sold the almost new bag at a great price.

Iced tea - Thats a nice one...and it looks like an adjustable strap which is REALLY long which I LOVE. and no, your not the only one. I dont know what it is about purses but its a lot of us. For some woman its shoes, I know, but for me its the purse thing

justjoycee 7/24/09, 1:57 PM

I am finicky about my purses too. It has to be big and with one strap only. I too have to carry everything with me.....you never know when you need something, right?

The Crazy Suburban Mom 7/24/09, 3:27 PM

JustJoycee - Oh right. Im totally with you

tracy

The Laughing Idiot 7/24/09, 5:47 PM

I love a good hobo - completely open compartment no dividers. You can actually get more crap into a purse if there aren't any dividers.

My current purse is yellow and measures only 9 X 7 X 3. It contains what I consider all the essentials: cell phone, keys, work badge, flashlight, dental floss, pocket tissues, check book, bandaids, pressed powder, umpteen chapsticks, pictures of the kids, wallet-y thing, gum, feminine products (I'm so PC), tic tacs, my notebook for funny blog stories, digital camera, oooo a dollar bill (yes, I'm looking through it right now), some pens, a plethora of reciepts & misc. papers, nail file, eyeglass repair kit, bandaids, wet wipes & an eyeglass cloth.

Not too shappy, huh?

The Laughing Idiot 7/24/09, 5:48 PM

That should be shabby - I'm such a dork.

Becki 7/24/09, 8:46 PM

Perfect purse, right here: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=28145378

I got one just like it for Christmas last year and use it for a purse/diaper bag. I get compliments on it all the time :)

I am Harriet 7/25/09, 7:18 PM

Hi there.
I just wanted to thank you for joining the July Comment Challenge.
I have something new going on in August. Come on by and check it out.
thanks!

Venti Vixen 7/27/09, 7:49 PM

I am a purse whore and I have no problem admitting it. I probably shouldn't even start a comment on this. I will say currently that I am rocking a close-your-eyes-because-this-pink-is-way-too-pink leather Coach bag and love it. I also have a giant Juicy Couture bag that I LOVE and fits everything plus the kitchen sink in it. Okay, I'm going to stop lest you end with a gallery of my purse whore problem on here.