The Crazy Suburban Mom: Up to my neck in stomachs...

Friday, June 26, 2009

Up to my neck in stomachs...

I did something stupid today.

I cook Ginger's food. I have been making it since the tainted pet food scare a few years ago. Doing this is practical because she's so small; I couldn't accomplish (read: afford) home-made food for a Doberman.

The normal mix is ground turkey, rice, a veggie or sometimes an apple. About once a month I add some kind of organ meat.

I buy chicken hearts and gizzards (stomachs) at the grocery store and add them for extra ooomph. Chicken hearts are easy because they are small and easily chopped. The stomachs are a pain. Lots of -- I don't know what -- I try not to examine them. But what ever holds their stomachy essence together is hard to cut. Ginger seems to like them and it gives her four teeth a work-out without being totally impossible to chew.

Today was organ day but the A&P didn't have the combo pack; no hearts, just stomachs. I was too lazy to cut twice as many as usual and thought Ginger would enjoy the challenge.

I put her bowl of gizzardy goodness down and went up stairs. I heard lots of running up and down the stairs and carpet-digging noises. I wasn't really paying attention until she jumped on the bed carrying a gizzard in her mouth like a mother cat holding her kitten and tried to bury the stomach in my comforter.

She must have hidden them all. There must be stomachs all over the place and I'm going to be uncovering them for weeks.

stomachs

You'll never find them.

@eloh 6/26/09, 5:05 PM

Oh crap!

chicamom85 6/26/09, 5:22 PM

Oh dear that made me laugh, you poor thing and you will be smelling them eventually. Anne

When you give us something we can't chew it is our duty to bury it somewhere, it is in the dog code of ethics chapter 6 verse 1. Good job Ginger.

licks and sniffs, Sasha

Dory's Backyard 6/26/09, 5:23 PM

Too funny! My Bilbo does that with strange things...toys, little itty bitty food nuggets. Hopefully you will find them sooner rather than later.

Thanks for visiting Dory and the compliment!
Dory's Mom Beth

jess 6/26/09, 5:25 PM

I just happen to stumble across you blog (thought I was clicking a link to someone elses)...OMG, the stomach all over the house thing made me laugh so hard. That is absurdly gross, but oh so funny.

I used to make my dog's food for years. One of the best things I found were duck or goose eggs-usually cheap (or free) from a local person that had a small farm. High in good protein, easy to cook.

nice to 'meet' you...good luck with the ...um, er..stomach situation.

The Crazy Suburban Mom 6/26/09, 5:32 PM

eloh - no kidding!

chica - Im hoping for the best!

Dory - nice to see you here :)

Jess - Im glad you found me! Ill be checking out your blog about now!

Mommy24cs 6/26/09, 6:01 PM

ewww yucky!! I hope you find them all!

Marsha 6/26/09, 6:42 PM

ewwww, my Sky does that too. That's the main reason I stopped giving that stuff to her!

Vonlipi 6/26/09, 6:54 PM

Thank you! I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one with funny pets! lol

kiddiescorner 6/26/09, 11:24 PM

Ewwww yucky that is funny though

Tweedles -- that's me... 6/27/09, 1:34 AM

Hi
Thank you for visiting me. I saw all your followers and wondered how in the heck did you find time to come visit me?
Well your story is soooo funny!
And another thing- I never heard of gizzards called a stomach- that sounds gross! Its not a stomach is it?
come back again!
love
tweedles

Vonlipi 6/27/09, 6:48 AM

After reading your post, I went to the grocery store and guess what I saw? Gizzards! I laughed so much I nearly peed! Thanks again and give a big kiss to Ginger!

@eloh 6/27/09, 9:44 AM

When the family gets back from vacation you can either have a scavenger hunt or put a bounty on each one found.

The Laughing Idiot 6/27/09, 5:17 PM

That'll teach you. So, did you head back to the A&P for the kind of dog food someone else chops up for you?

Six Feet Under Blog 6/28/09, 12:04 PM

Ew! I hope you find them before they find you! lol