The Crazy Suburban Mom: Paranoid, much?

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Paranoid, much?

My internet connection?

Not so good lately.

I normally post at least once a day but my connection is cutting out constantly and it's putting a damper on the posting festivities. It's just not fun losing posts. (I, do however, have a new found appreciation for Blogger's save button.)

Over the last few days I've spent several hours on the phone with Verizon tech support. I have an "escalated ticket" which means a machine calls me every 24 hours to tell me the problem is not resolved.

Which, ya know, I knew already. But whatev's.

This morning a live person called to tell me it was resolved, I shouldn't be having the problem anymore.

Well, I do, I said so I'm re-escalated.

I have no beef with tech support as they have been technically supportive. Originally they thought it was my modem, than they thought it was the line, now they are back to the modem...which I am told involves ME buying a new one.

I'm like, THE HELL YOU SAY?

And therein lies my problem.

The modem is max 4 years old, it's got no moving parts, it sits on a desk. I dust but only in a cursory fashion. Yeah, I pick up a duster sometimes but for Pete's sake, I'm no Alice.

What I'm saying here is ; the modem isn't futzed with. The thing hasn't been touched much in the 4 years I've had it unless tech support tells me to turn it off, wait 15 seconds and turn it on again.

What in the world is there to break? Why is it even reasonable for something that has no moving parts and is never touched to break in 4 years? I probably have cheese in my fridge older than that.

Wait, that sounds bad. Forget that.

My cell phone is older than that. And subject to way more futzing.

I've never had an iota of trouble with the line before. An isolated glitch. A wonky thing here and there... But not something that's gone on for months requiring escalation.

And re-escalation.

And given too much time when I couldn't access the internet my mind ran away from me. This problem has been going on a month, maybe two... and it started around the time they put the FIOS lines in my neighborhood. I think something happened to the DSL lines during the digging, commotion and general tumult of the FIOS installation.

You know? To nudge me into getting FIOS. Gee, I don't sound paranoid (much).

I'll update this post a little later with the winners of the cell phone charm winners if I have a connection

Vonlipi 6/18/09, 4:26 PM

I doubt very much you have 4 year old cheese in your fridge, I've seen how you cook! LOL

I think I'd rather jump off a bridge than have to call tech support.....

The Crazy Suburban Mom 6/18/09, 4:35 PM

Moi, exaggerate???? Surely you jest!

tracy

The Laughing Idiot 6/18/09, 4:44 PM

I married my tech support guy. Well, not really. I married him and turned him into my tech support guy. Gotta love the technically talented - he's a really good arguer (sp?) too so he somehow keeps us up and running.

Good luck on the escalation quest!

Veronica Lee 6/18/09, 6:02 PM

My 10 year-old son is my tech support guy !!

The Mom (aka Amy) 6/18/09, 6:36 PM

Maybe your modem needs a little futzing...try stroking it now and again.

JUST ME, THE MOM 6/19/09, 1:43 AM

I just know that I really hate having to deal with either Verizon of Comcast for anything. It takes so long to get to the bottom of things. Recently Comcast strung a line from two tree tops across my street because their underground cable was somehow getting wet. It looks ridiculous and so unprofessional. But hey, my internet works - so I'll look at the funky cable until they manage to get it buried :)

Kristin

icedteaforme 6/19/09, 1:45 AM

our modem, some wireless thing, died after under 2 years, our contract/deal thing allowed the phone company to come and replace it at no charge, then the very next morning, they were rewiring on our corner, same tech guy, I asked what was up, he said 2 more customers had no connection in the same 24 hour period.....voila no problems anymore!

Not exactly mother of the year 6/19/09, 3:01 PM

I had a similar thing happen only with Comcast. When I called tech support they had me crawling under the desk, moving furniture to check cable lines, and standing on a ladder in the basement searching for wires stretched across the ceiling. I started to think I was being punked. I finally told the tech support person that the only additional thing I was willing to do was to open the door when the service guy came to fix it. Miraculously my problem got resolved!

I also wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your blog. I always look forward to seeing what you are up to and reading your posts. Thanks for making me laugh.

Christina 6/19/09, 10:57 PM

Grrr... We have modem prob the last few years and it seems as soon as the warranty is out... it stops working.