The Crazy Suburban Mom: The good, the bad, and the really really ugly is all available for home delivery from Netflix

Hobonichi Cousin Planner in my Filofax

Thursday, June 4, 2009

I am probably a film-makers nightmare but going to the movies is not much fun anymore.

Movie theaters are just a hassle. The tickets are expensive, any combination of snacks costs in excess of thirty-five dollars and when go sit down? The room is either full ringing cell phones or people who view theaters as a space where all intimate conversation should be done.

The few times I went because it was a movie I should see on a big screen? I couldn't see a thing because the ladies in front of me had freakishly feet-tall hair.

Know what I really miss? Drive-in movies.

I loved them. You were in your own space. You could stretch out... Bring in your own food. You were rarely bothered by the person in front of you. You could talk as much as you wanted to... Heck, you could have a full-on fight with the person you were sitting next to and the people in the next car? No idea.

But the Drive-in is pretty much dead in the 21st century and I had to find a new place to watch movies.

And it's my living room... thanks to Netflix. And it may even be better than a Drive-in because it doesn't involve, ya know, actual moving.

I rent a lot of movies. And when there isn't a new release I start searching the vast Netflix unknown. I really like quirky documentaries. I find people fascinating in general and if given a chance (and a microphone) most people are hysterical.

Granted some of them don't know how funny they are but still... hysterical is hysterical.

This is my first CSM Unknown Gem:

Word Wars

A 2004 Sundance Film Festival®: Grand Jury Prize: Documentary nominee.

Netflix says:

Follow four "word nerds" through their fastidious preparations and smaller tournaments that lead to the national championship Scrabble tournament in San Diego in 2002. These men are highly motivated (obsessed, even) and are not above uttering a few four-letter words when the going gets tough. Our favorite: Joel Sherman, a true dork with acid reflux trouble (he constantly quaffs Maalox) and no other discernible job besides playing Scrabble.

The movie was fun and quirky and way, WAY more fun than you can imagine. Even my kid liked this movie. And not because it was lame and he was laughing at it... but because it was really enjoyable. Honestly, I know you're thinking, How funny can a movie about scrabble be? Much less a movie about people that play scrabble?

The answer is: Funny. And quirky. And interesting. And Joel? My favorite, too.

And it totally makes me want to get out the scrabble board.

There is a trailer (here) on the movies official website.

Now I give you my first CSM Unknown With Reason...

Monsturd

Yep, Monsturd
Netflix says:

Serial killer Jack Schmidt is a fugitive who has the police and FBI hot on his trail. After being cornered and wounded by law enforcement authorities, he falls into a sewage tunnel where the chemical company Dutech has also been dumping its toxic waste. The poisonous mixture of feces and chemicals mysteriously transforms Jack into a part-human, part-feces monster who sets out on a deadly rampage.

The weird thing about that blurb? It makes Monsturd sound way better than it actually is.

Like it's a police drama.

A thriller.

Perhaps, a statement on the toxic nature of our planet?

But sitting here trying to write this? Mostly, what I've found is Monsturd's the kind of movie that's hard to review. You can't say it's good because it's probably the worst movie ever made. Conversely, you can't say the movie is a hideous piece of crap because main character is a hideous piece of crap so that would be, I don't know, redundant?

Yes, I did rent this. My son saw clips on youtube and thought it would one of those 'it's so bad it's funny' movies. Nope. This one is just so bad, it's bad.

With great effort to find something redeeming about Monsturd, a silver lining occurred to me.

The movie was actually made. Released. And bought for distribution. And people rent it. At least I did.

Do you know what that could mean for people with big dreams who say I could never make a movie...Have a book published... whatever?

To them I say... Monsturd.

Let Monsturd be you're mantra.

Like Rosebud a' la Citizen Kane. Only way creepier.

Because if they could get this movie actually made? And released? The sky's the limit, folks. Nothing in this world is impossible.

There is a trailer (here) for anyone with a strong stomach but I beg you... Don't.

By the way just to keep it real... Netflix didn't ask me to write this and doesn't know I did... In fact they would probably ask me to take it down for telling the world they rent Monsturd.

Debbie 6/5/09, 4:54 PM

I think we would love that Word Wars movie. Thanks for the tip!

Anita 6/5/09, 5:10 PM

Too funny!!! We love Netflix and we've seen Word Wars too. I'll so pass on Monsturd...ick. My dad is 84 and rents from netflix and he rents anything, my sister tells tales of them sitting down to watch a movie, only to find it's in another language with subtitles, and my dad can't read the words on the TV@@, it's a sad little riot.
I've actually become hooked on documentaries and odd little Indie movies.

Shawn 6/5/09, 5:29 PM

Word Wars is pretty good, and if you liked that, I highly recommend Spellbound if you haven't seen it. There's also one about crossword puzzlers...I can't remember the name of it, but I remember enjoying that one as well.

chicamom85 6/5/09, 5:36 PM

I am a drive in nut! When I was growing up in Wisconsin we had the 41 Twin and we went often even after I got married, we would take our daughter. It is a lost treasure. In Traverse City, Michigan there is a wonderful drive-in called The Cherry Bowl. Family oriented, no R movies, the snacks are homemade. It is such a treat to go up there. But give the movies another chance. You can get your snacks at the dollar store and sneak them in and go the early show which is cheaper.

Anne

The Laughing Idiot 6/5/09, 5:44 PM

No drive-in around, but movies are shown every other Friday under the stars in the amphitheatre.

I got one for you to review: Doggy Poo

I'm telling you, we thought it was something cute like baby-talk. Nope, it really is an animated movie about a dog turd. Can't believe someone actually made this, but it is available on Netflix.

Monsturd & upward!

@eloh 6/5/09, 10:34 PM

We still have a drive in. In an even smaller town just a couple miles north of here. One double feature every Friday night...$5.00 a car. One new movie and one already released movie.

I guess there are a couple things about being in the backwoods that are good.

Digital Scraps Etc 6/6/09, 3:02 AM

I have netflix too and the funny thing is my husband has blockbuster. I signed up for a free month to check it out and then decided to keep it so I could have my own list and nobody could bump my movies! My sister is a scrabble queen - no one can beat her. I will definitely have to check out this movie. I really enjoy reading your blog and in appreciation, I have given you an award! Please visit my blog to get your award.

tracy 6/6/09, 5:09 AM

Debbie, Its so much fun, really :)

Anita, Thats too funny about your dad! lol.. Alot the foreign films dont have previews so I guess its easy to not know, thats actually happened to me a few times.

Shawn - YES! Loved the one about cross words

Chica - I have snuck in snacks but there are signs up about not bringing in backpacks or large purses... I mean, give a me a break!! I always use a large purse...

Laughing Idiot - omg doggy poo? Im so there...

eloh - yeah your right. I lived in NC for 5 years till my son was born and I think there was still one there too...

Thanks Digital Scraps! I put you up in my sidebar link!

Vonlipi 6/6/09, 7:20 AM

Monsturd...I would probably rent it. I do enjoy weird,bad movies...and freak shows (I can't help it)

I've been wondering about Netflix, because I find there's nothing to rent at my local Blockbuster....And even if I have a gazillion channels, there's nothing on TV!

Nichay 6/6/09, 7:45 AM

We always get Netflix in the summer because there is never anything on tv and my kids love to check the mail for movies when it's time.

icedteaforme 6/6/09, 8:29 AM

I love documentaries, loved word wars, spellbound but really loved WORDPLAY, those characters are just stranger than fiction and make me feel sane!!!

I am also addicted to the the food documentaries, frightening informative and entertaining to me were
the future of food, we feed the world and call of the killer whale by Jean-Michel cousteau, part of his ocean adventures series.....this last one shows some amazing information on farmed fish....frightening!

I love this post, but then again I am up at 4am and not sleeping enough, lol