The Crazy Suburban Mom: Down and dirty: The first phase of cleaning

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Down and dirty: The first phase of cleaning

I've been doing this type of commando cleaning -- Not to be confused with Going Commando (Please.) -- for a few years now. When my family goes away I have a week to do everything. And I try.

This year I will also try not to herniate a disk in my back.

Again.

There is a rhythm to it. An order. Albeit, at first, it looks more like 52 card pick-up than the sane progression of organization.

There is always an initial Down & Dirty period where the house looks much worse than before I started. Sometimes that lasts a few hours; frequently for a few days.

At the moment, having started on the bedroom, I've also tackled the laundry. All the laundry. I'm on my forth load. There is (help me) twice that.

Don't like laundry much (although I don't dislike it as much as unloading the dishwasher) because I hate folding it and putting it away. As a result clean laundry becomes part of the general daily clutter.

Ginger, on the other hand, loves laundry. When you take hot laundry out of the dryer she's on it before you can fold it.

Which is pretty much fine with me.

gingerlaundry

*The story begins here with the Pyrex giveaway*

kiddiescorner 6/24/09, 2:04 PM

OH laundry I hate it hate it hate!!

chicamom85 6/24/09, 2:16 PM

Forget the laundry and get on a plane. Sasha loves clean laundry as well, she rolls in it.

Anne

@eloh 6/24/09, 2:28 PM

Did you ever think about calling one of those charity places that pick stuff up. Then you could sack up all your crapola and get a tax receipt from them for next years taxes.

Of course this would mean another aspect to the sorting phase...never mind.

beth 6/24/09, 2:34 PM

what is it with the unloading of the dishwasher?!?! why is that such a horrible chore? i HATE it! and, as i found out on sunday, so do my mother and sister in law. it's weird! good luck with the purge!

Mommy24cs 6/24/09, 3:16 PM

I passed the chore of unloading the dishwasher on to my daughter. I hate it as much as folding laundry too.

Jessica and Michael 6/25/09, 8:18 AM

I totally feel your pain. And oddly enough, I was just complaining to my husband about this the other day. After our baby comes, I think all I'll be doing is laundry, which is bad b/c that what it feels like already. I don't mind throwing it all in the washer, it's just getting it out and actually doing something with it! Love your blog and will continue to blog! :)

Oh, I saw you on Posh Blogs