The Crazy Suburban Mom: Karma in the 21st century

Monday, May 25, 2009

Karma in the 21st century

Hundreds of years ago people considered Karma something that would affect their next life but in the 21st century Karma is an entirely different thing.

I know, I've done a study from my front-lawn facing powder room window. From the toilet I have a great view of my whole street as well as parts of several other streets. From a sitting position I can watch the comings and goings of many things... particularly appliance repair trucks.

Just today I conducted another study because there weren't any new magazines. I opened a slat and did a quick perusal of the neighborhood. Yet again there was an appliance repair truck at that house. Do you know the house I mean? The one with the neighbors who can't get along. For whom everything is an issue. Car parking is an issue (except their car parking). Dog doody is an issue (except their dog's doody). Kids are an issue (except their kid).

I could go on but it would be boring and unnecessary.

There have been more appliance repair trucks at that house in the last 14 years than any other house. And I while I still have my original water heater, dishwasher, microwave, fridge, and dryer; they have had to replace theirs. I know because I can see the parade of new appliances being delivered from the comfort of my toilet.

Know why that happens to them?

Because if you spend your life making other people miserable and being a general nuisance that's what happens in the 21st century. Hundreds of years ago if you weren't a good person you would come back as a Dung beetle. But know what you get today?

Bad appliance karma.

So while you spend your time looking for things to nick-pick and complain about we just bide our time. We are very patient. We know that every ridiculous request you make, every outburst you have, and each time we have to call the cops on you? It brings you one step closer to that new central air conditioning unit we will be watching them in install very soon.

Until than the neighborhood makes do with watching the appliance repair trucks bee-lining to your door.

But every few years when they install your new appliances?

We giggle.

Debbie 5/25/09, 8:49 AM

You are a riot! Bad appliance karma. It does explain a lot. I guess when you are really bad is when several of the appliances kick the bucket at the same time. Maybe I need to be naughty. I've been wanting a new stove for 15 years!

Venti Vixen 5/25/09, 12:50 PM

Bwahahahaha!

sarasophia 5/25/09, 2:50 PM

Ha ha...so true.

<3 sarasophia

@eloh 5/25/09, 3:35 PM

Oh my gosh, I don't even want to start about my neighbors. I had the BEST when I bought this place, they got old, died, ran off with another woman (WHAT took so long) ....then the NEW ones and years of torment.

While I was gone that year, the cop was put behind prison bars, and sometime this summer I am guest of honor at a jury trial...geeez

MoonNStarMommy 5/25/09, 3:58 PM

ROFLMBO!! For shame ... those people need some love in their lives. LOL... maybe not...

I have neighbors like that ... but... shhhh.. don't tell them! Actually, more so - with them - it's everything is negative that comes out of their mouth. Get a new (used) car ... "that car sucks, my (so and so) had one and it blew up." Get on new medication... "that medications makes your hair green and you grow purple spots, my (so and so) and (so and so) was on it." Get pregnant ... "what do you need another baby for?" .... Go outside .. "OMG you are outside!! I'm going to have a heart attack!" ... when they don't have jobs, the freaking world is coming to an end, no one say nothing around them about money or the fun stuff you can do, but when YOU don't have money and they do.. "oh we are doing this and that and this and I got this and I can't wait until I can do this and that and look what I'm going to get" ... yeah - the worse part, I'm FRIENDS with these people...

Thanks for the comment love, did I see somewhere in a note you said you couldn't get on my main blog? Or was that someone else?

AJ @ A Little Bit Nutty 5/25/09, 7:55 PM

This is so true. My version is flat tire Karma. LOL

Baby Jayden 5/26/09, 12:58 PM

Thanks for visiting my blog. Love to follow your blog.

Christina 5/26/09, 1:31 PM

LOL! That's funny and so true!

Mommyof2girlz 5/26/09, 1:32 PM

Thanks hun for stopping by yesterday. That is so sweet your son gave his money, I myself own several poppies as well..lol Thank him for me for doing that :)

Baba 5/26/09, 2:01 PM

Even though this is so funny, ironically it may be true in the Karma world. Enjoy your life!

anymommy 5/26/09, 4:36 PM

So funny. I'm going to start watching our pain in the rump neighbors, they should have terrible appliance karma.

marythemom 5/26/09, 6:05 PM

While I don't really believe in Karma, I've been really enjoying, the TV show My Name is Earl. The character was pretty much a slimeball, and then Karma intervenes in his life. He goes around trying to repay everyone he hurt, based on what they want or need (in other words, not just replacing the TV he stole, but making it up to him). It's a hilarious show.

Mary in TX

Mom to biokids Ponito(10) and his sister Bob(12)
Sibling pair adoptive placement from NE 11/06
Finally finalized on Kitty(14) on 3/08 - 2 weeks before her 13th birthday!
Finalized on her brother Bear 7/08. He turned 15 the next day.

" Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."

kat 5/27/09, 2:03 AM

And here I was all jealous of my neighbors who keep getting new appliances. Of course mine are the rotten neighbors too! I thought it was just so unfair but I think I'll look at it your way as a bad thing for them. Appliance Karma! I love it!

Mom Mayhem says: 5/29/09, 3:09 PM

Bwahahaha! I always wonder about Karma maybe it does really happen. BTW this was pretty LOL -Love that you can see these things from the comfort of your toilet! =D

Valerie 5/30/09, 12:11 PM

Your posts make me laugh out loud! You are too, too funny, but also right on the mark. Karma in the form of appliances... that's great. I also loved you fantastic post on your birdy. Man, he's quite the traveler :o)