The Crazy Suburban Mom: Estate sale SCORE! (or... Channeling my inner Jayne Mansfield)

Monday, May 18, 2009

Estate sale SCORE! (or... Channeling my inner Jayne Mansfield)

I've had a lot of luck at Estate sales recently. Don't know what's up with that because it's a complete turn-around. Normally, I go and all I find is OPG (Other people's garbage) but lately... I don't know... there must be some sort of Karma thing happening.

I don't even think I can use (or keep) some of it, I just had to get some of it anyway. It made me all nostalgic.

See, my mom had one of those pink bathrooms...and a pink kitchen. I kid you not. Pink stove...pink oven... phone... counter...floor.

The works.

And with that I give you...

pink...

Pink metal hamper!  whoo-hooo!

This is a pink metal hamper! It has pink feet and that retro marbly top. Sigh. And it's in amazing shape too... It doesn't go with my house at all but I'm still toying with keeping it. Who would pay shipping on a pink metal hamper?

How much would it cost to ship this anyway?

Aztec melmac dishes in PINK!

Aztec melmac plates and bowls. One bowl isn't marked but the rest are... These don't go with my kitchen at all and I just listed them on eBay. But they do scream "MOM" to me and I got them. Dumb, probably. What do they say about clutter? Anything you can't use, right?

sigh.

Aqua atomic napkin holder!

Another thing that doesn't go with my kitchen. But look at those atomic design stars... Listed them too..

I went a little crazy. In a 'I'm totally pink and wish I was Jayne Mansfield' sort of way.

There are worse things... and the hamper makes me feel DA-VOON!

Misguided Mommy 5/18/09, 1:07 PM

I AM SOOOOOOO JEALOUS OF THE DISHES AND HAMPER. HEY LOOK AT ME I CAN COMMENT NOW WOOHOO

Kathy B! 5/18/09, 1:14 PM

I think it's awesome. Whenever I find something I love I go for it! Could you put a liner in the hamper (in a covered porch or something where the xterior wouldn't rust) and plant vine-y plants in it?! Something unexpected would be fun!!

Mommy24cs 5/18/09, 1:17 PM

Your mom's kitchen sounds like heaven!! I would love to have a pink kitchen but hubby will not have it LOL. I'm sure if I pouted long enough he would finally give in ;p. That napkin holder reminds me of one my grandma had only hers was a cream color. What great finds once again!

Just A Mom (Call me JAM for short) 5/18/09, 1:19 PM

Your mom and my mother-in-law would have been best friends...

Cool stuff!

tracy 5/18/09, 1:23 PM

Misguidedmommy! YAY!

Kathy B - I'm kind of afraid to wreck it!! I don't know what to do with it..Its bigger then my laundry hamper and I kind of want to use it but keep thinking I'm doing to nick it or something...

Mommy24 - I made fun of her. I was such a loser! But it wasnt cool at the time to have a pink washer and dryer... My mom passed and the kitchens been redone and that stuff was just junked. what a shame, huh?

JAM - I hear people say alot it reminds them of mom or grandma... guess there were a lot more pink kitchens and bathrooms than I ever knew about!

Jen 5/18/09, 1:56 PM

Hi Tracy,

Thanks for your comment on my Blog. I too am jealous of that hamper, lol. Well off to browse your other posts hey, I'll swap buttons with ya if you want. Let me know.

Jen

chicamom85 5/18/09, 1:58 PM

I love it! Garage and Estate sales can be a blast, so much treasure.

The Laughing Idiot 5/18/09, 2:00 PM

The pink hamper is just soooo cute! It's very unusual with the marble top and little feet.

Maybe you could paint it & use it for blanket storage and put a few choch-kies on top. That might ruin any value is it is an antique (it kind of looks like it).

Another option is to fashion some kind of skirting so you can use it as a table until you have someplace to use it as is.

Chickenista 5/18/09, 2:04 PM

I was just driving down the road yesterday I kid you not I wanted to pull over and pick up this great chair.. Wasn't in the right vehicle. SOmetimes you find great things other people want to toss. I ♥ Yard Sales!

whatan@hole 5/18/09, 2:32 PM

Those hampers are huge. I remember mothers hamper when I was a kid. My skinny sister and I would hide inside from our older mean sister. "Time waits for no man" one day we broke a leg off, it was a tight fit that day anyway.

But then I remember the wringer washer too.

Someone will snap that up on e-bay.

The Domesticated Goddess 5/18/09, 2:35 PM

You've got great taste. Love the atomic stars and the pink melmac. Very Martha. You could be a buyer. (I used to buy evening gowns for Neiman Marcus, very fun, if you can handle the caustic attitudes.) An ebay store might be fun too. :)

tracy 5/18/09, 2:44 PM

Jen - thanks for stopping by... I'll put you on my sidebar if you want! I stopped putting the buttons and awards on the side because the page was loading slow! But I'll put a link up!

chicamom - your so right! makes me never want to shop retail again!

the laughing idiot - I think I want to leave it :) Its sooooo pink :)

Whatan - oh no! lol...bet it would have been worth something today :) Yeah I think it would sell but the shipping would be a killer...don't know if anyone would want it that much... guess you never know till you try...

domesticated - thank you so much ! I sell on ebay but don't have a store...theres monthly fees I dont want to get into with a store. And I don't sell every month so I dont know if it would be worth it...

tracy

Chickenista 5/18/09, 2:54 PM

I gave you an award on my blog♥

Six Feet Under Blog 5/18/09, 3:23 PM

Looks like Heather Armstrong's (dooce) taste in furniture.

Vonlipi 5/18/09, 8:22 PM

Those are amazing finds! I so understand the not fitting in your house and the buying anyways!

If that hamper had been kind of turquoise or white, I would've have totally paid for the shipping! ;)

Brooke 5/18/09, 10:05 PM

Congrats on winning the One Lovely Blog Award. Find the details on my blog: http://betterthanboogers.blogspot.com/

Cindi ~ Moomettesgram 5/18/09, 10:33 PM

I had an eBay store where I was a Power Seller. It was a LOT of work. I went to visit my brother in upstate New York and went antiquing. (I flew). I scored so many great items, they had to be shipped back UPS. I listed them in my eBay store, where they sat, because the economy went down the tubes, and I got b/o of peanuts and was tired of paying monthly fees. One of my best items was a retro pink melmac dinnerware set. I broke it up into pieces to sell. Some sold, some didn't.

I finally closed my eBay store because I wanted to reclaim my guest bedroom (for the grandkids).

I donated everything to charity. It's probably on eBay, again, somewhere!

I luv the beautiful things you have here, but there's really just so much space in our homes and now I'm trying to downsize!